List of everything that went wrong with my Mini on 500 mile trip

Started by BruceK, September 25, 2017, 10:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Here's the full list of all the car problems I had on my 500 mile roundtrip to Austin this past weekend:

I know I'm probably tempting fate by say this, but NOTHING went wrong.  The Mini was dead solid and trouble-free.  The worst thing that happened to the car was a bird pooped on the roof.

So I've driven this car thousands and thousands of miles and the only thing it has ever needed was a new wheel bearing in Phoenix last year when it was being towed back from the MiniMeet in San Diego.   Now that I've changed all 4 wheel bearings out that issue should not return for decades. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Properly maintained they are reliable little cars.  I've consistently driven them, many times as daily drivers, for over 17 years now.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on September 25, 2017, 10:14:04 AM
Properly maintained they are reliable little cars.  I've consistently driven them, many times as daily drivers, for over 17 years now.

Yeah. I think sometimes we forget that.  You use yours as a daily driver, and WillieB has literally driven his Mini across the county (and MiniDave has gone across much of the US in a Mini too).   All  through high school, college, and a little bit after that a Mini was my only car. 

But it seems other Mini owners are concerned about going much beyond their own neighborhoods.  :(
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I look at it this way....they have always been first and foremost - cars. And cars are designed to be driven.

If you use modern fuels and lubricants and keep up with wear parts, why couldn't you drive them every day? People did when they were new......

The one thing that stops me from using mine cross country is the comfort level - 250 miles one way - no biggy - 800 miles one way is a whole 'nuther thing.....it's not just the noise, but to me the seats are miserable, that's why one of the first things I did with Buzz was put a Miata seat on the driver's side.

I have done long distance drives in a Mini - I drove Buzz from Baltimore to KC in two days - 1100 miles. I drove my 62 Cooper S from KC to Colorado Springs and all over the mountains after that. Don has done those distances and more in his Pup, which even tho it has a Honda engine and gearbox, is all Mini after that.

I currently drive my Racing Green almost every day to work, but it's only about 10 miles one way......I have done events as far as 200 miles away with it tho....longer than that I'll use the tow bar to traverse the long distance like on our Texas run.

But I think the worst thing you can do for them is let them sit and then drive them a couple of miles once in a while.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

4.gif to all of the above. My mini gets driven at every chance. If you keep up with taking care of it you should have no surprises.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on September 25, 2017, 10:14:04 AM

That goes for any car, my Mini is a prime example of what a car looks like when people hate their car.

If is a fucking disaster. I sometimes consider setting it on fire.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

My blue mini sat for 6 years while the guys father let overspray in his body shop accumulate on it.  The first year of ownership I replaced an impressive amount of things that had gone bad or failed on me.  Most memorable was the distributor fused to the block. 

gr8kornholio

I take it further than the hood, well not lately, but did and will again....  71.gif

I'm stoked to get out and drive mine now that the vibration is gone.  Not sure about long distance yet, I know some of the suspension and brakes on mine are not in top working order and the seats, well they hold you laterally.  That should all be remedied over the winter.  Then I'll know how and what is under there.

Bruce, you coming to the Murphy Maize days show?  If it's going to be as nice as they say it is Sat. we may go for a cruise after.  There is a loop of highway NE of Mckinney that we did in the HIghlander (went to look at an old house for sale) that would be lots of fun in a mini.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on September 26, 2017, 12:32:24 PM
I take it further than the hood, well not lately, but did and will again....  71.gif
Mark, I wasn't referring to you --- or anyone in particular.  But, then again, we do have a mutual friend who is very cautious about driving his Mini.   ;D

Bruce, you coming to the Murphy Maize days show?  If it's going to be as nice as they say it is Sat. we may go for a cruise after.  There is a loop of highway NE of Mckinney that we did in the HIghlander (went to look at an old house for sale) that would be lots of fun in a mini.

Yes, I am planning on going to it. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

SoCalMiniFan

When I first got my Mini someone told me "The best project is a running project" so with that I was determined to get my car running.  It runs like a top now and anything I do is maintenance and doesn't take it off the road for more then a day. 

Miss Mini is no show stopper, designed to be driven and that's what I'll do.  I'm hoping to drive from San Francisco to MMW'18 next year. That will be the longest drive yet.

Miss Mini has also recently become my daily driver as the Wife's p.o.s Ford is on it's last leg and she refuses to take it "over the hill" to work in fear it'll blow up and leave her stranded somewhere.  So she gets my newer Subaru to commute in and well I get the Ford or my Mini so I take the Mini.  I'm actually really happy with this set up, now if the Ford would just FULLY crap out so I can get a parking spot back in the driveway as opposed to the front lawn that would be good. Yea... I park my Mini on the front lawn, I like to keep it classy!

"If it's not fun, why do it?"

gr8kornholio

Quote from: BruceK on September 26, 2017, 03:30:58 PM
Mark, I wasn't referring to you --- or anyone in particular.  But, then again, we do have a mutual friend who is very cautious about driving his Mini.   ;D

Yes, I am planning on going to it.

Sounds good.  Looking forward to exposing lots more people to the world of minis.  Will probably blow some minds that there are two of them.  Should set up a contest for people to spot the differences.  Other than colors.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.