Converting to Alternator - Regulator box mod

Started by MPlayle, July 10, 2017, 01:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Over on my "Moke" thread, I indicated I am going to convert from the generator to an alternator.

There are instruction pages on some of the other sites for the basics, but they don't bother showing the wiring jumpering when removing the regulator box.

I've done this once before and again this time (thanks to Terry Smith for providing an old regulator box - already partially modified for the purpose) - modify an old regulator box to be a jumpered terminal block for the wiring.

The box from Terry already had the three large connections jumpered together.  I removed the coils, used their wires to make the remaining jumper for the small connectors, and chopped down the backing plate.

I then epoxied in the wiring to insulate all the connections from each other and the back from the fender.  I also cleaned each of the connector spades.

I also got a $1 "For Sale" sign at Home Depot for cutting a piece out to make a cover.

(Sorry about the slight 'fuzziness' to the pictures - the camera did not like focusing on the small dark objects.)