Left front upper A arm removal

Started by bahoffe, September 12, 2009, 10:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahoffe

If anyone can explain how I can remove the bolt on this I would really appreciate it.  I got the nut off but the bolt isnt moving and there isnt much room to work with.

94touring

Yeah you need a pickle fork/ball joint remover.  Sometimes you can hammer them out, but you'll probably ruin the threads and compress it if its really on there.  A lot of places rent the ball joint removers for 10 bucks. 

bahoffe

I have the ball joint off already. I am talking about the large bolt that connects the arm to the subframe.  Basically I am trying to replace my suspension cone.  I have the strut/trumpet removed already but cannot get the cone out without removing the arm.

94touring

Oooo that bolt.  I think I may have used another bolt and hammer to knock it out with.  May have to get creative if there isn't enough room.   

MPlayle

I seem to recall someone over on the Mini Mania forum describing the process in detail in a thread on that forum.  I don't remember who.  I want to say they described supporting the outer end of the arm so its own weight did not bind the bolt, then using a pry bar to catch under the edge of the head to work it out.

Willie_B

There is a plate on the front side that is held on by 2 nuts or bolts ( don't recall which). Item #25 in this page.
http://www.minimania.com/web/CatPage/8-9/Chapter/8/Page/9/Mini_Cooper_Catalog.cfm