Hot time on the I-85 in Atlanta tonight

Started by Willie_B, March 30, 2017, 08:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

https://weather.com/news/news/atlanta-georgia-interstate-85-massive-fire

Was taking my wife to the airport. Got stuck in the traffic and she missed her flight. They are talking months that it will be shut down.

MPlayle

Saw that yesterday evening reading news online. 

MiniDave

And you thought traffic in Atlanta was bad before!  :-\ 50.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I remember after the '94 big earthquake in California, the state offered a huge incentive to a construction company for the repair of an important freeway overpass that came down in the quake.   IIRC the overpass was back up and ready for traffic in something like under a month's time (compared to the normal time of like a year or more).   Just shows what can be done when properly motivated. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

When traveling I try to avoid driving through Atlanta at all costs. Thought Inwas safe once driving through late at night. I was wrong. 

Time to explore google maps and find some good obscure backroads to take.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Seems it was arson.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/04/man_charged_with_arson_in_i-85.html

QuoteThe man accused of starting the raging fire that destroyed part of Interstate 85 north of downtown Atlanta was talking about smoking crack just before the blaze began, according to his arrest affidavit.

Basil Eleby told city and federal investigators that he had discussed smoking crack cocaine with two companions under the highway overpass before deciding to do the drug alone, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Saturday.

Jail records show Eleby has been arrested 19 times since 1995, mostly on drug charges. Accused of starting the fire below the elevated highway, Eleby now faces charges of first-degree arson and first-degree property damage.

Sophia Brauer and Barry Thomas were arrested along with Eleby on Friday, both charged with criminal trespass in the area used to store state-owned construction materials and equipment.

"We believe they were together when the fire was set and Eleby is the one who set the fire," Deputy Insurance Commissioner Jay Florence said.

Flames and smoke billowed high above Atlanta's skyline Thursday. The fire burned so hot that the concrete and steel overpass disintegrated, crippling traffic in a city known for dreadful rush-hour congestion.

Thomas told investigators a different story, the paper reported. "Mr. Thomas watched Basil Eleby place a chair on top of a shopping cart, reach under the shopping cart and ignite it," the affidavit says.

Both Eleby and Thomas said they fled the scene before the fire became a roaring blaze that disintegrated the concrete and steel overpass.

Police and firefighters kept motorists out of harm's way and retreated when they saw telltale signs of an imminent collapse.

"They heard the cracking of the concrete," Atlanta Fire Chief Joel Baker said. "They could see concrete was flying all over the place toward firefighters."

Experts in structural engineering said fires on highways and bridges rarely burn long enough or hot enough to cause a complete collapse -- but it has happened. Intense heat can compromise even steel-reinforced concrete, said Lauren Stewart, director of the Structural Engineering and Materials Laboratory at Georgia Tech in Atlanta.

"With fires, especially fires that burn for long periods and with high heat, you can see structures, anything from buildings to bridges, can have their material properties degrade," Stewart said.

Atlantans struggling to find different routes or use mass transit had better get used to longer commutes: Repairs will take "at least several months," said Russell McMurry, commissioner of the Georgia Department of Transportation.

McMurry announced Friday that 350 feet of highway will need to be replaced in both directions on I-85, which carries about 400,000 cars a day through Atlanta. Demolition crews were working around the clock to pound through tons of melted rock and twisted metal.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Well, it wasn't a wooden chair that burned the bridge down, so what was stored under there that burned so hot and so long?
And why was it there?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I heard it was "plastic materials" storaged  under the overpass by the state of Georgia.   So I'm guessing it was probably plastic drums and other traffic diversion materials used to mark road construction.  If so, a bit ironic.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara