Formula 1 - 2017 Season

Started by BruceK, March 24, 2017, 09:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

So Alonso is staying put at Big Mac, who could have foreseen that?

I mean besides everyone who's ever even looked at an F1 race.......

So now the onus is on Renault to provide them with a good engine - which they will use to beat them soundly at every race?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Isnt Red Bull still using the Renault engine?  Will be cool to see the Macs go up against the Bulls with the same power.  Think Renaults team is still lacking in either driver or aero to be really competitive.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Yes, Red Bull will have Renault next season, and Toro Rosso will have Honda - if Honda manages to get their shit together and make a competitive engine, Red Bull will have Honda in 2019.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Wow.  He looked so happy racing at Indy this year, I was pretty certain he'd go for IndyCar and not F1.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I think if Big Mac hadn't made the deal with Renault he would have jumped and been gone, but he's willing to give them one more year under Renault power.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Wow, the US GP was actually a good race!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It was a great race!  I really enjoyed it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Loved the race, not happy about the Max shaft, he deserved the podium.  He'd already passed him when he "cut" the corner IMO!
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Fun factoid......Williams built a CVT for their F1 car in 93!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

It's always the rule-makers who manage to muck things up.
Max was robbed.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

BruceK

On a happier note, nobody but nobody is missing Bernie these days.   It's easy to forget he was once around. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Great Qually!  I really thought Max was going to get P1. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Again, nice to see someone in front that isn't a Merc!

Should be a fight at the front for a change.......

I'm down at Beaver Lake, but we have direct TV, so I'll get to see the race.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Great race.  Nice to see Max win.  Incredible push by Vettel.  Really telling that Lewis was stuck at the back of the pack for so long - wondered if he was so used to leading that he had forgotten how to pass?   ;D  Lewis really joins a elite club with 4 WDC. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Since it didn't matter where he finished as long as Vettel didn't win or finish second, I think he just wanted to make sure he was still in the race at the end. How many times have we seen him charge from the back and even make the podium? I think he was just cruising.......

Max was the only Renault powered car to finish the race!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Kind of a boring last race of the season.   Nice to see Bottas win though...

And sad to see the end of NBC's F1 coverage and the end of Hobbs' broadcasting career.  I've been listening to him on F1 broadcasts since at least the late 1980s. 

And they went out with a Shooey! 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

And again Verstappen finishes the race and Ricciardo doesn't......Renault are really going to have to up their game next season, since they'll have Big Mac using their engines too - can you image how McLaren will react if they have engine problems like Red Bull and Toro Rosso did this season?

And what if the Honda motor comes good next season and the Renault doesn't?

I think Renault will have a much more potent power unit next season - should make things a little more interesting from #2 or #3 on back. but I don't think 2018 is going to be much different than 2017 at the sharp end of the grid.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

How about this Alfa Romeo deal with Sauber?  Could be another point of interest!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

MiniDave

Well, it's branded Alfa Romeo, but it's another Ferrari motor......top end Alfas and Maseratis both have used Ferrari motors for years now.

Just as the Red Bull motor was branded Infiniti last season, it was still a Renault motor.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on November 30, 2017, 10:36:29 AM
Well, it's branded Alfa Romeo, but it's another Ferrari motor......top end Alfas and Maseratis both have used Ferrari motors for years now.

On a related topic, low end Maseratis actually use Chrysler V-6 engines (with all the Chrysler identifying marks removed).  So, quite a big difference.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

pbraun

Yeah........just a different set of brain power being added.......... wish Haas could get it right more often.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified