My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

I'm Mark, and back in August I became the owner of a 65 Australian MKI mini.  Have a growing list of modifications to do the car to make it more to my liking.  Looking forward to discussions and posting photos of it's changes.  I'll get some pictures of it up on here as soon as I figure out how. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Pics are, easy just use the attachments dialog......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Welcome welcome  4.gif. Yes pics are easy. 

gr8kornholio

Ok, I'll try these.  In order:  The day we got her.  Power by 7 Ent. 1380.  Couple of glamour shots.  Guess we don't have pics of the interior on this computer.  I'll have to get them off my phone.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

And in case any one reads my signature and is curious about the 07 MY/MY MCS here are some pics of it.  Miss this car.

gr8kornholio

Ok, on with the suspension discussion. Here is the current setup on my car.

HI/LO setup with coil springs and stock replacement shocks.  Found the 13 yr. old receipt.
http://www.7ent.com/products/coil-spring-conversion-w-adjustable-struts-for017.html

This rides really stiff.  Also not excited about how nothing really holds the springs in place when you jack the car up. 

Found a new set of springs from Huddersfield for a reasonable price.  Found your comment on how you liked these Dave.

Contemplating going with Spax coilovers from minispares:  http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Suspension/Coil%20over%20kits/RSX520.aspx?1911&ReturnUrl=/shop/classic/Suspension/Coil~over~kits.aspx|Back%20to%20shop

Possible concern here is the ride, the shocks seem to be adjustable.  Other is moving where the spring forces interact with the car.

Any other comments or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.  Thanks

gr8kornholio

I think I'm leaning towards just replacing my hard coil springs with the black ones from huddersfield spares.  I believe my HI/LO's are a good quality. 

As far as suspension geometry adjustment the minispares kit is the only one that mentions a rear toe adjustment.  The others only do camber.

Now for shocks.  I've had good luck with KYB and someone already mentioned them.  Any other suggestions?

towjoe

Mini Sport has a set that you can adjust toe and camber. I like Mini Spares and have a set to put on .

https://usa.minisport.com/mslms0510-fully-adjustable-mini-negative-camber-tracking-rear-brackets-pair.html

Regards
towjoe  77.gif

gr8kornholio

Thanks, I'm trying not to have to order stuff from 3 different places, but it's not looking good.

Follow up on shocks, how much if any adjustment do you need on these cars if the majority of the driving will just be spirited road driving? 

I've found Spax and Gaz single adjustable along with Spax dual adjustable and the KYB AGX.  Guess the question is are the fully adjustable worth the extra 80 or so bucks?

MPlayle

I have always used either basic shocks or the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on my Minis.  Not used any of the various adjustable ones.

MiniDave

The rear adjustment kit Toejoe mentions is the one I prefer, I've installed all the others too over the years and the one from MiniSport appears to be better made and is far easier to adjust.

As for shocks, John Styers has the adjustables on his car and usually drives them full soft, but tightens them up a few clicks for "spirited" drives in the twisties.

I've been perfectly happy with standard ones, so far I have my adjustables set full soft.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I know that I'm probably the odd-guy out here, and you'll likely never drive my mini to 'feel it', but I've found the KYB gas-a-just shocks perfectly fine for spirited driving, as well as having a longer operating range than most adjustable shocks.  I think there's a table on this site's tech pages with damper lengths - most useful, since many who install adjustable shocks/dampers usually end up setting them quite soft anyways.

My mini is lowered and the gas-a-just haven't bottomed out.  The C-AHT687 road/rally rubber cones are really nice in that when you wanna go hard, they're rather firm.  Another nice thing is that they never come unseated when either airborn or simply jacking the car up.

To help things along, I've got Ripspeed HiLo's and a ½" rear anti-roll bar, shimmed the rear toe to 0°, have rear adjustable camber brackets adjusted to neg. ½°, negative camber arms in front and adjustable tie rods, trimmed and re-profiled hydrolastic-type bump stops.  Proper offset lower arm bushes and hard/soft tie-rod bushes, solid aluminum top and teardrop subframe mounts etc.

My unsolicited recommendation is that perhaps some seat time in both rubber cone cars as well as coil and coil-over sprung cars would be a good idea, as changing suspension systems can get expensive.
- Pave the Bay -

gr8kornholio

Thanks for the input, I'm hoping to get some seat time in a rubber cone and kyb car this weekend.  Think I've ruled out the coilover setup due to cost and possible problems, which may or may not be unfounded.  Not sure if I know anyone around with with one to test ride in.  Agreed on the cost which is why I'm trying to get as much opinion as I can. 

Willie_B

Quote from: gr8kornholio on February 13, 2017, 11:34:11 AM
Thanks for the input, I'm hoping to get some seat time in a rubber cone and kyb car this weekend.   

If you will be at drive in the hills in March you can try my cay. Rubber cones and KYB gas-a-just shocks.

Brad

gr8kornholio

Sadly I won't, this year.  Hopefully there will be more of these and once I get some things ironed out on the car and a tow rig set up I'll be in for sure.  Thanks

John Gervais

There are surely other rubber coned minis about; it's just a matter of keeping your eyes open if you see one at a cars & coffee or British car event.  Most owners don't frequent the usual message boards, but are friendly enough - 'specially if you've got your mini with you. 

If you happen by Copenhagen, you're welcome to try mine -
- Pave the Bay -

gr8kornholio

Quote from: John Gervais on February 13, 2017, 08:40:18 AM
The C-AHT687 road/rally rubber cones are really nice in that when you wanna go hard, they're rather firm.  Another nice thing is that they never come unseated when either airborn or simply jacking the car up.

The closest i could come to this number are these from minispares.  The description sounds about right.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Suspension/Rear/Dry/C-STR687.aspx?190701&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/cone.aspx|Back%20to%20search

I guess I stated it wrong earlier, but this weekend a fellow mini owner is going to take me for a ride in his cone/kyb equipped mini.  Thanks for all the offers though, and if I'm even in Denmark I'll look you up.

John Gervais

Yes, those are the ones - I generally type from memory and sometimes get the numbers a bit wrong - not to mention the time-zone / sleep deprivation thingy...
- Pave the Bay -

gr8kornholio

Quote from: John Gervais on February 14, 2017, 04:29:14 PM
Yes, those are the ones - I generally type from memory and sometimes get the numbers a bit wrong - not to mention the time-zone / sleep deprivation thingy...

True, it's already tomorrow there.

gr8kornholio

So I got to ride in a car with cones this past weekend and have to say it was nice.  Not bouncy like mine, so now the question is spend the extra on cones, or get the softer, but not softest springs.  Guess one consideration is can you fully compress a cone?  Where as I can see with as short as the springs are hitting a proper bump could fully compress them with jarring results.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on February 20, 2017, 08:07:22 PM
So I got to ride in a car with cones this past weekend and have to say it was nice.  Not bouncy like mine, so now the question is spend the extra on cones, or get the softer, but not softest springs.  Guess one consideration is can you fully compress a cone? 

The rubber cones on a Mini are said to have a geometrically progressive springing rate - meaning the first millimeter of compression travel is "X", the next millimeter of travel is twice as hard, the next millimeter is 8 times as hard, the next is 16 times as hard and so on.  So soft on smaller impacts and progressively harder on bigger impacts.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

So after some consideration I'm leaning toward the rubber cones for the suspension.

Bruce, are yours the stock replacements?  I see minispares has those and a performance version with a yellow dot or red dot.  The red dot match another members post for part number that they have.

Gotta start making this parts list.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on February 22, 2017, 07:38:10 PM

Bruce, are yours the stock replacements?  I see minispares has those and a performance version with a yellow dot or red dot.  The red dot match another members post for part number that they have.

Totally stock cones on my car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

I have stock cones on my car and the ride is great seems to handle fine too but its just a 850 on 10" so I don't drive it real hard. My 1275 car had springs I hated them traded for cones and was super happy. With the springs if you hit two or three good bumps in a row it would bounce so bad I couldn't keep my feet on the pedals.

gr8kornholio

I hit one the other day on a back road that actually popped the hood, thank goodness for the safety catch. 

Thanks again for everyone's input and help on this.  Looking forward to doing all this and enjoying the drive even more.  77.gif