73 Mini

Started by MiniDave, November 03, 2016, 04:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

We machined the new shaft to match the original.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I've got most of the wiring repairs done now, I made a new harness for the tach - they ran the wires all the way across the dash inside the car, then all the way back across the firewall. I soldered the connections (they had used red butt connectors that were barely holding and looked awful sticking out of the back of the tach) and I sheathed the wires so they won't show as much.

I also got the steering column re- assembled. The new felt bushing a the bottom was really fighting me so I made a tool, a very thin piece of sheet metal wrapped around it with a screw clamp to compress it enough to fit into the end of the outer column. Once in it turns nice and smooth, I also put the steering wheel on and the pins we put in the back to engage the self canceling ring worked perfectly - so now the signals self cancel. I also had him machine a 1/4" or so bit of the boss under the nut that holds the wheel on, that way the nut goes on a bit further, so it gets full purchase on the threads, unless someone goes gorilla on tightening the nut it should never strip again, or come loose.

Next I'm building a metal panel for the dash so I'll have something other than cardboard to mount the radio and amp to, the owner has ordered a box and some switches for the fog lights and he'll bring those over Tuesday. I'm still waiting on the aux power socket to arrive, but I'll have all the wiring ready for it when it gets here.

He also requested a disconnect for the battery for when the car is in storage over the winter, so I made up one of the quick disconnects like I had on Buzz, super easy to use and look neat when on.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got a little more done on the 73, I built a support plate for the radio and amplifier and was able to move the radio over a little more towards the center of the car, per the owner's request. He bought a slick little aluminum powder coated box and some switches for the fog lights, so now I can finish wiring everything up.

Sounds like 10 minutes work but I've been engineering on this all day (plenty of cad work - Cardboard aided design!) but I think it turned out well.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That looks good, nice job.  Funny how things never happen quickly!

MiniDave

Threw a coat of paint on the sheet metal bracket I made to hold the amp and radio and while that was drying I worked on making up the harness for the lights and got them working. the right outside light is missing it's bulb, and he plans to replace two of the Wipac lights with yellow lensed ones, but he can't seem to find any.

I also started sorting out the wiring harness for the radio and amp - what a mess. Wire nuts used to tie things together, scotch locks to pick up the power and on and on......I'm just about done with it so I should have it powered up tonight too.

Once all that's done I can start putting the interior back in. I sent the seats up to my local upholstery guy to fix a few things then it should be ready to  drive home. I'll be glad to get my lift back, I have work I need to do to both my green and my blue Mini/MINIs.

Edit: Got the radio and amp all installed and promptly blew a fuse when I powered it up! I think I know what's causing the problem and it's a simple fix - that's why we use fuses!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

You're tackling a lot of stuff there.

I just realized what you have there is the rare, NHD Mini.  (No Hand Drive)  :)

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Got the radio installed and wired up and as soon as I connected the battery I saw a spark and heard a "pop".....tracing back I had hooked up the wire from the radio marked "remote" to the amp at the place on it marked "remote", however it seems the two are not compatible in that way - I think the output from the radio is a 12V + and the input on the amp is a ground.

And that children is what we have fuses! The pop I heard was the fuse on the amp.....I replaced it and now the radio lights up again but I don't have sound out of the amp......still doing a little detective work there.

In the meantime I've been dealing with a sick dog and a toilet that won't stop running - looks like I'll have to shut off the water and replace the standpipe for a more recent design. I should just replace the damn toilet but screw that!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That reminds me when I wired up Flur I accidentally touched a wire to a ground and pop!  Except it actually blew the stereo.

BruceK

Back when I was about 18 years old, the unfused headlight wiring to the foot-operated dimmer switch of my '62 Mini somehow shorted itself (I'm sure it something I did, just can't remember the details that long ago).   As you know, with the early Minis, BMC decided that an unfused headlight circuit was a perfectly acceptable way to build a car. 

Here's what I do remember:  One of the wires leading to the dimmer switch started crackling and smoking - it was quite spectacular.  Fearing a imminent vehicle fire, I quickly reached to grab the wire with my bare hands to try to yank it free.  It was then I learned that it had gotten so hot that it began melting the insulation right off the copper.  I got burned pretty badly by molten plastic which stuck to my skin - I had burn marks on my hand for most of that summer.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Turns out the amp is toast, but I hooked the radio up directly to the speakers and it sounds fantastic. Result!

I also got the dash back in and the dome light fixed, turns out there was a broken wire at the door switch, good thing I keep some of those Lucas bullet connectors on hand.

In the home stretch now, I'll get the steering column in tonight and the tach wired up, then all I'll have left to do is pull the left door card and fix the window (it's crooked at the top)......

I think that's it, unless he comes up with something else.....I got the seats back from the upholsterer's where he fixed a torn seam and tidied up some loose flaps of vinyl. He also said he can do the headliner like the owner wants, using some different material. I'm not sure the owner will like that stuff but if it gets him the head room he needs.......well, we'll see. All things done I'll meet him at the upholsterer's on Monday and let them decide.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got the 73 almost completely buttoned up, I still have to do a repair to the left window and do a final aim of the headlights, now that it's back down on it's wheels.

Started it up for the first time in almost a month and it popped off first turn of the key! I'm surprised because my green car doesn't do that, and neither did Buzz. On those two you crank it once, then it starts on the second crank.....I didn't run it long, just enough to get the header wrap to smoke!  ;D

Tomorrow I should be able to button it up once and for all and send it home...he has an appointment Mon to see the upholstery shop about the headliner, so he probably will have to drive one of his cars home then come back for the other.

I've got work starting to stack up on me so I need to clear the shop.

I need to change both outer axle boots on the Audi, then I need to change rear pads and rotors on the Blue MINI, and do an oil change and a few other deferred maintenance projecs - I bought a new battery for it but haven't gotten it installed yet as you have to remove the plenum cover panel - which entails removing the wiper arms and who knows what else...I'm also going to flush the brake fluid on the Audi and the MINI, plus I need to do some work on the green Mini......

Not to mention Dan's engine and a couple more. Gonna be a busy winter, my Auto class at the college starts Jan 10th and I'll need to get ready for that too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

DS1980

And mine.
Do you need it to be put off for a little?

MiniDave

Nope, send it when you're ready.......but just FYI, I'll be out of town from Dec 27th to Jan 2nd......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Been a long weekend.....I changed all the axle boots on the front of the Audi, the rears looked just fine. 
As on any job you do for the first time, the first one took 3 hours and the second one about an hour.....and you can't help but get that moly grease all over you no matter how careful you are.....

Sat I took the Audi back up to align it, it wasn't wearing the tires but since I just put four new Conti's on I thought I should and sure enough, the back end was out a bit both in camber and toe, especially the left. Rose drove us to dinner last night to meet with a friend from New York who's in town for a bit and she said the car felt better - more planted on the road.....so I'm happy with it now - we're leaving for North Carolina the day after Xmas so I wanted everything straight before we hit the road. Fresh oil, fresh wiper blades, the brakes are like new, new tires and alignment - I think we're good to go.....

So, back on the 73......the axle has moved out again, so I'm going to drain the oil and pull it and see what's up with the inner snap ring, I hope I have a new one stashed away somewhere. All I have left is to install the aux power port and fix the left window and this car can go home at last. It still has that terrible rattle and I'm convinced it's in the shocks. Pity too as these actually ride pretty well. If it wasn't such a chore to remove the fuel tank I'd swap the ones off the green Mini just to see for sure if that's it, but there really isn't anything else it can be.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Back on the 73 today......the owner complained about the left window sitting crooked - high at the back so I took it apart to see what was up, it was one bitch kitty to get the regulator out and once out I found out why - one of the arms was twisted and bent at the fold. I managed to get the spring off then divised a way to straighten the arm and rebend it at the fold. After removing the spring I put the regulator in my press and used a big socket to hold the arm then slipped a piece of pipe over the arm so I could in essence reverse the force that bent it - worked a treat!

Once I had the regulator reassembled I took a good hard look at the window and found the channel folded over along the rear, so I managed to straighten the rubber and get it back into the channel proper. Next it was get the regulator installed which is very fiddly - you have to wedge the window about halfway and lower the arms then slide one of the rollers in the forward channel on the window then slide the back one in, then wind the regulator to move it into the right place - however, now I can't get the holes to mount it to line up!

PITA!

I can move the regulator around and get one screw in place, but then none of the other 4 line up - even tho the window rolls up and down smoothly......no idea why it all won't line up now except now that arm is straight and so is the window - hmm......gonna take a break from it and let it "soak"

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Hi Dave,
As I remember I had to crank the regulator to raise the window about 1/2 way. Then realign the regulator so the four screws go in. A bit fiddly for sure.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MiniDave

Believe me Joe I have wound it up down and sideways, jiggle and joggled, cursed and scratched my head numerous times to no avail!

I've decided to just let it sit for a bit and think about what a PITA it's being and maybe it will straighten itself out and fly right. Then maybe I'll try again tomorrow.....  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

On the plus side, with that cool patina, seeing the patterns of the spring coils and gear teeth makes your photo fun to look at. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I have a spare one that can be purchased for a fee  ;D

MiniDave

Good to know, thanks......I'll get this one in if I have to redrill the damn holes!  ;D

Nah, I'll figure it out....it's nice that the window rolls up and down smoothly now anyway......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I think that when I straightened out the kinks in that arm I made it slightly longer, so the arm holds the regulator in the wrong position so the screw holes don't line up. Dan is sending me one to replace this one, when I get it I can measure the arms to see if I'm right.

Need to get this car out of my shop so I can put mine in while we're gone over the holidays, I doubt the owner is real anxious to drive it now with salt on the roads and colder'n hell.....we may hit 6* Sunday.........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Pity I just threw away a LH regulator around 2 months ago.  It worked, but the 'hex' where the window wind-up handle screws onto was a bit loose.  I haven't a press or any means of fixing it, but you could have possibly pirated the arms or other parts.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Pot joint clips came in today from 7 Ent, now I ask you - does that look like $24 worth ...........of anything? (Coulda been worse I guess......MM wanted $9 ea for them)

Jeez louise, no wonder we buy our parts from England whenever we can.....

20* and snowing out right now and it's headed to zero this afternoon, plus we got a nice layer of ice underneath the snow....I'm glad I got the MINI finished yesterday cause I'm not going anywhere today if I can possible help it, but it may be just too cold to work in the shop till Monday or Tuesday when its supposed to warm up to the low 30's again..

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Heater!  My little bag of 20 dollar seals looked just like that.  Always kinda sad lol. 

MiniDave

When it's this cold and windy it's too expensive to run unless it's an emergency repair, my garage doors don't seal well and the wind comes right in on days like today. I would prefer to be down in the shop right now, but it can wait.....one of the nice things about working on these cars, you're rarely on a deadline.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad