MiniDave

I heard it was 86 in SA yesterday! Crikeys!!   :-\
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: susan on February 07, 2017, 08:44:28 PM
Hi everyone....finally got the Mini over to Mini Dave and he got my bar and a bunch of other things, however I still need to get the wiring done on the hitch and straighten out carb issues!  It's always something!!! 
But, I just made the hotel reservations, so I'm in and the pressure is on!  Tomorrow I make kennel reservations for the dog here at home.....Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Susan

Hey!  Welcome.  Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your Mini.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Yes, it was that temperature here yesterday.  About 20* above what is supposed to be our normal temps.  Today was much cooler - upper 60's.  Supposed to fluctuate between low 60's and upper 70's for the next 10 days.

MiniDave

Our Spring event is rapidly approaching, and I for one have a ton of things to do before I hit the road for Texas!

Not the least is to get well, this flu or whatever it is is really hanging on.....I'm dead tired of being sick, that's for sure.....and its keeping me out of the shop - I've missed at least a week of shop time so far.

Still to do, change out Don's ball joints and some other light odds and ends on his P'up, plus he needs to get his new tires rebalanced. He also bought some Minifins and new shoes, so we'll be redoing his rear brakes too.

On Susan's car I need to do some carb work and change the oil but she's pretty much good to go...some practice time towing would be a good idea for her tho.

On my RG car I need to fix the rattling heater door, install some new engine steady bushes, change the oil and filter and one more try on the alignment and tire balance. Maybe play with shock settings a bit too. I also need to rebuild my front calipers and rear brakes.

I think Styer's car is ready to go...tho we need to sit down and plan our route yet.

Lastly, I have to finish the wiring and hitch install on my blue Clubbie, plus it's thown a code which I think will turn out to be the diverter valve......but I will need to get that fixed too - for sure!

So, on to preparations....I hope everyone else's Feb is going better than mine! Could be worse tho, could be snowing......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Sorry to hear you are still under the weather Dave.  Hope you feel back to normal soon.

I had to work through last weekend, but this weekend I don't, so I plan to give my Mini some attention.   I plan to change out front (and maybe rear) wheel bearings.  And, "as long as I'm in there" I might as well install new discs, new pads, and, if I work on the rear bearings, I might was well check on the shoes and drums and install new ones if needed. 

That will be my goal on Saturday.   

On Sunday, I plan to try to change out all front subframe mounts.   I haven't done that with the engine still in the car before, so it will be a new thing for me.   I plan to use poly upper subframe mounts, new regular rubber rear mounts, and keep the same stock teardrop front mounts as those were brand new last year and already have been enlarged for the towbar.

To change the mounts, I think I will just need to: 

1) disconnect the hard hydraulic lines for the brakes and clutch at the firewall
2) disconnect the upper engine steady (and And, "as long as I'm in there" I might as well install new poly bushes)
3) remove junk (e.g. washer fluid, wiper motor, etc.) to get at both tower locations
4) remove all the mount bolts (but leave the front teardrop ones attached?).
5) lift up the body at the front toe boards slightly, and I am hoping that will allow enough room to remove the very used up rubber top mounts and slide the poly ones in

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

The real kicker is the weather's been pretty nice for Feb, it's one thing if it's 8* down there, but it's been as warm as the 50's and 60's - prime shop weather!

Still sick (but not contagious, according to my consulting medical professional) as of today, but maybe on the upward slope again....we'll see how I feel after class today.

You have a lot to do too, but you can accomplish a lot in a good solid day in the shop, especially if the weather's nice. As long a you don't get distracted by the motorcycle sitting forlornly in the corner...... ;D

Good luck on the subframe mounts, post up some pics, especially if it works (I think it will)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Well, I don't have my motorcycle distraction anymore.  I sold the cycle/sidecar rig yesterday.  One less thing to move, one less distraction, more funds for the Moke.

MiniDave

MPlayle, you OK?

San Antonio area got hit by 6 tornados yesterday......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Sorry for the delay responding - been without access.

We are okay.  My mother's condo where I've been staying to care for her did get hit by one of the tornadoes.  She was already at the hospital for a separate issue.  My oldest brother and I were inside the unit when it got hit.  We are okay, but the building sustained structural damage - our unit is top floor and lost part of the roof.

We are in "disaster recovery" mode and in good shape as I had begun to move into a new apartment meant to accommodate caring for my mom.  She will be returning "home" to the new apartment when she gets discharged from the hospital.

Plans for the Spring Drive are still a "Go".  We have a reservation at the Cowboy Steakhouse for dinner on Wednesday, March 15th.

MiniDave

Glad to know everyone is OK!

Do they still allow smoking in the restaurants in Texas, especially outside the main big cities?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The smoking policies vary.  Many restaurants are now non-smoking.  The bar area of the Cowboy still permits smoking.  I can ask about the dining area if you would like.  I don't recall seeing people smoking in the dining areas of the Cowboy.

I know that in San Antonio, all restaurants and bars are non-smoking inside.  Many bars now have outside covered patios for the smoking areas.  That was proscribed by city ordinances.  I don't know if there are specific state laws about it.  Being a non-smoker, I only paid scant attention to the issue when the city ordinances were passed a number of years ago.

MiniDave

When we do our classic Mini runs in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, I'm always surprised when I walk into a restaurant in one of the small towns and find people smoking inside......I've gotten so used to ours being smoke free.

Just curious, it is what it is when you travel......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Many of the restaurants in the cities and larger towns around here have gone over to "smoke-free".  San Antonio and some other cities have passed ordinances for bars and restaurants to be primarily "smoke-free" - smoking allowed only on designated outside patios.

94touring

Glad you're ok.

Regarding smoke, I actually get a bit asthmatic around it.  I'll be the guy gasping for air mid sentence like I'm choking on water.

BruceK

Getting closer!    Just two weeks out now.    I'm getting excited. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I'm getting anxious as well, but for other reasons.  I've been moving apartments, dealing with mom having a health crisis and mom's condo having been hit by a tornado.

Things are looking up a bit.  My oldest brother is here to assist.  The move is almost fully done - tool sets and the Moke in the garage are all that is left to move.  My middle brother has the POA for mom's business interests (I have the medical) and so he gets to deal with the damage issues from the tornado.

We have a tentative reservation for dinner at the Cowboy on Wednesday after the long drive.

MiniDave

The weather right now is looking pretty sweet for our trip......mid 70's to low 80's and very little chance of rain!   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

To make this trip even more fun on March 6 I will be in Steamboat Springs CO. Taking my daughter to a winter driving school on ice for a day. Of course I am taking the course too.

Then back home for a few days and head for Texas.

MiniDave

Willie_B, do you have a route planned?

Justin is in Kilgore and Bruce is in Plano, both are on your way, right? Maybe you guys could hook up and caravan together?

Bruce and I were talking about maybe meeting up along the way with our group of 4 from KC.....

Right now our plan is to go I-35 to OKC, then I-44 to Wichita Falls, overnight there, then straight south on B roads to Kerrville, and maybe meeting up with Bruce in Brownwood for the last part of the run.

Edit: Oops, just looked at the map, looks like you'll be on I-10, not I-20?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

You guys are going to get a lot of guackers with you pulling 4 minis down the freeway. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Some of us are towing, some are driving....Justin, Don and Dan for sure.....

You have to be used to that with Minis!  ;D

When I drove Buzz back from Baltimore I was only running 60-65 mph all the way on I-70, (one of the reasons I changed the diff ratio) and everybody passed me, even the trucks, and someone was always pulling up and trying to get my attention so they could take a pic or give me a thumbs up - you get used to it after a while.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I will be coming the southern route by way of I-10. So probably won't see anyone else along the way.

MiniDave

Don't forget to air up your spare tires, guys!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Buzz Clubman

Quote from: MiniDave on March 01, 2017, 09:33:20 AM

Justin is in Kilgore and Bruce is in Plano, both are on your way, right? Maybe you guys could hook up and caravan together?

For me Kerreville is 6hrs to the SW. Pretty much a straight line to Austin, then up and over. Meeting up with Bruce would be cool, but add several hours.
Once you hit Texas you will remember how BIG our Great State is. Distance measured in minutes(time), not miles.

See you guys soon. Battling our Seasonal Pine Pollen this time of year. Everything takes a lovely color of yellow. Buzz hides it well.

MiniDave

Yep, we get a different version of tree pollen, a lovely shade of lime green...... :(

It will be great to see you and Buzz, looking forward to it!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad