California registration?

Started by Wasabi, September 30, 2016, 05:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wasabi

I have a 1988 Mini I brought back from Japan a few years ago which I intended to completely overhaul with my boys.  I have been wrestling with whether to spot repair rust issues or go with a whole new shell.  End goal is a daily driver for me (w/ the convenience of the JDM aircon) and I'll let my boys drive my commuter econobox.

My work is likely relocating my position to California in 2017. My understanding based on the confusing info out there is that trying to register a 1976+ Mini is a no-go.

I'd appreciate your thoughts RE the best way for me to go about legally fixing up my Mini for daily driver use in California.  Links to DMV or other resources will be doubly appreciated.

(Some thoughts I have had include buying a pre-1976 Mini and swapping all my JDM stuff over, or buying a pre-1976 Mini just for the title and buying a new shell which will need to have the VIN stamped, or ???  But I'm not made of money, so whatever I do has to be reasonable....)

Thanks in advance....

94touring

Yeah California is tough.  Other's will be more knowledgeable about all the rules but my understanding is you'll need an early car. They are also tough on revins so beware.

MiniDave

I would sell your car and buy one in Ca, already registered there......problem solved.

Registering this car may not be possible, due to tough emissions laws in Ca.. It used to be easier, but they've really clamped down in the last 10 years or so......

I would not reshell a car, I'd find a decent car - fix small areas of rust - and drive it and enjoy it.

Where in Ca will you be located?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Have any friends or Family in South Carolina ? Georgia? Florida..  These are no inspection states....

Title and register there... drive in CA.

Wasabi

@MiniDave: Job will be in SF Bay Area, but I'll live near Sacramento.

@Jedduh1: I considered that but I'm concerned about https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators). What ever I do has to be on the up and up.

MPlayle

Are you military?  It is my understanding that military still get to keep their cars registered in their "home" state.

That might be one way around things if qualified.

Wasabi

@Mplayle: Military status not applicable.

I don't think I was clear as I could have been earlier.  My Mini is not in pristine condition, but it is functional.  Other than a LOT of rust and worn out cones, it gets me where I want to go. My plan was to do a complete rebuild (I am closely following the Tink rebuild) while salvaging as much as I can from it (such as the JDM A/C system).  I am NOT looking to build a concours Mini, I just want a reliable daily driver, with the caveat that it be legally registered and operated in California. 

Right now I'm exploring the options, so thanks for suggestions like using military status or registering in another state, even if they aren't applicable to me.  So...what other options are out there?

94touring

I have a 67 cooper s, twin tank, lhd shell looking for a home.  Not necessarily the cheapest option given what it is.

MPlayle

Over on the Mini Mania message board, there is a member with the username "gtamini" that works in California law enforcement dealing with problem vehicles.  His first name is George and he is also an avid Mini person.  He would be my best recommendation as to someone to consult directly regarding the current laws in that state and how to work with them.  He has been very helpful to those attempting to do the right approach as you are.

Try contacting him direct.  His email per his MM profile is: gtamini@gmail.com

SoCalMiniFan

Living in California and knowing a little bit about the "California" rules of getting a Mini into the state and legally registered I know you will absolutely NOT be able to register an '88 Mini without spending big big dollars and having a headache.  Your best bet is to find a nice car that may or may not need restoration but is already in CA and registered.

The cut off for Smog here is '75, not 25yrs. However due to the Mini not being manufactured to be in the US market past 1968 anything past then did not meet U.S. emissions requirements for each subsequent year. Every state (or at least most) except California has an Older than 25yr rule and allows cars regardless of if they were meant for the US market or not. 

Now I do know of some cars that are between 1968-1975 that are registered and legal in CA that are NOT re-vins.  Those people got lucky, their car slipped through the system somehow and it's never been questioned, they have titles and registration that match their cars. I can see this happening quite easily as when I applied for a new title and registration for my out of state 1981 VW I took it to AAA not the DMV and the girl came out, looked at the paperwork, looked at the vin, signed the form and issued me a new California Title in my name for my vehicle. This car needed a SMOG cert. too which I had, she checked it and off we went. If it was a 1975 VW everything would have been the same minus her checking the smog cert. She was adamant about checking the SMOG cert though and I was prepared with that, she was more concerned about having that than anything else. You will not be able to get a SMOG Cert for an '88 Mini and without that you can't register the car.

The other way of getting cars in CA is to Re-vin them and that's shady and CA has really buckled down on them.  Re-vins pop up on Craigslist and Ebay a lot and a lot of them are SPI's/MPI's Rover Mini's with 13" wheels and all the jazz that goes with them.

You want worry free fun in California, get a car that's here, titled and registered in CA already.  It's your best bet.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

BruceK

It is more than ironic that California, long revered for its incredible car culture, is also the same state whose government does its best to suppress that very thing.   

Seems like at some point car enthusiasts there would call for changes those ridiculous laws to something more reasonable, such as a sliding 25 year rule for emissions compliance.   After all, cars that are 25+ years old are a insignificant fraction in the overall population of all automobiles, and most cars of that age would be for pleasure use by enthusiasts use anyway. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Not only that but the newer cars probably meet or are very close to the current emissions requirements, have airbags, door intrusion beams, fuel injection and are WAY safer and better for the environment than those that meet the 25 year rule. Myopic government regs at their best.

But I agree with the Smurf, get a Ca regg'd car and you're golden.

If that's not an option, regging in another state isn't an option and you're not military then I don't know what to tell you. It may be possible, but I'd definitely follow up on mplayle's suggestion and talk to that guy......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

From what I understand, it is possible to live in California and own a car registered in another state.  People do it.  But it's questionable thing to do.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

create a LLC business in Montana and register the car there. Somehow there's a legal way of doing this might cost some dough. Probably better off getting a CA legal mini if you plan on saying in CA for a long time if not just store the car untill you are done with CA.

Wasabi

Relocation to CA will be permanent.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Please keep them coming.