plasma cutters

Started by 94touring, December 28, 2015, 09:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Anyone have one they prefer?  I'd be using it for sheet metal work and the occasional piece of angle iron. 

MiniDave

They're supposed to be fast and clean but I've never used one, wonder if it's possible to rent or borrow one to learn about them?

You might head over to Garage Journal, there are bound to be threads about them there.....

Northern Tool has one on sale for $500 plus I have a coupon for another $20 off....120V and only 20 amp but should be perfect for sheet metal and light steel.

Their 220V 40 amp cutter is only $150 more right now on sale.

If you don't have a Northern Tool in your town I can pick it up and bring it to you with Rusty, ours is only a few blocks from me.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I watched a video on a 110v Eastwood model that can cut up to 1/4".  Looked really slick and nicely priced.  In fact they have a welder/plasma combo however I'm passing on the welder because it's Chinese crap.  I may try the plasma cutter regardless and see if it last.  Sure would be handy cutting patch panels or removing rotted sections. 

MiniDave

Wow, Eastwood has theirs on sale for $379 (+ shipping of course) It says this unit is fine for anything up to 1/8" stock....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I was looking at the 40amp one.  Didn't know they had a 20 amp for even less.  Though for the extra 100 bucks I'd probably go 40 amp to cut thicker stock. 

MiniDave

Yeah, more power is never a bad thing! 

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

The main advantage of a plasma cutter to me is that you can do curves and odd shapes in sheet metal easily, things that can be difficult with a body saw or cut off wheel. If you do a lot of sheet metal work I can really see the usefulness of one.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Exactly.  I use my handy angle grinder to cut and shape up patches.  With this thing I can zip right through an outline and make adjustments quick and easy too.  Plus cutting out floors and wings ect...  wow talk about easier. 

jedduh01

A perfect tool to add to the arsenal of Metalwork

Slag does make a bit of a Mess while blowing thru metal - but same as metal grinding shavings.

you're only using compressed air and Electricity to cut metal - no grinding wheels and noise to worry about.

After watching the video on the Eastwood site-  I want one too!   the 40 Looks perfect- the 20 will kinda limit ya..   If you can plug into 220 - no question.

My dad and I could cut whole MGB's up into one man carry size hunks for the scrap man in a few short hours.

jeff10049

Get at least 40 amp they work really good up to half the rating and will get through the rated thickness if you have too also you can cut alum. I have a thermal dynamics 40 amp I like it. It was cheaper than a hypertherm.  Cut quality on thin steel or alum. is better than water jet not quite as good as laser. I would say equal to a sheer.
The cool thing with the thermal dynamics I have is its a 20 amp on 110 volts and 40 on 220 just put the differnt adaptors on the cord it comes with.
You need very clean dry air or you will go through consumables like crazy. Also make sure you get one that has a drag tip so you can rest it on the material and drag along a straight edge or around a template.

Jeff

MiniDave

You need very clean dry air or you will go through consumables like crazy. Also make sure you get one that has a drag tip so you can rest it on the material and drag along a straight edge or around a template.

<This>

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah the eastwood one showed them moving it along a template.  Regarding air, I have to keep it clean and dry for painting too.  Otherwise you blow water into the paint!

MiniDave

Do you shoot water-borne paint?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

No...that stuff's for hippies in California.  But getting water in your paint stream leaves driplet spots.  Particularly annoying if you're clear coating. 

jeff10049

Speaking of plasma cutters I'm just about to pull the trigger on a cnc plasma table for the business with a 105 amp cutter, tracer, engraver, and tube cutter. I wonder what sort of cool stuff I could make for classic minis or parts I could reproduce that are nla I have a press brake also. Any needs? This needs to be for profit ideas as it's a business deal. But if someone here needed a one off or something we could do that just for fun.

I was thinking about patch type panels when a full replacement is not needed but they would need to be in flat areas with striaght bends. I could easily make things like the front shock mounts but not sure if theirs much demand.

I dunno just a thought I'm 99% sure were getting this thing as I'm tried of subbing out our cut needs or doing it by hand. But that alone dose not justify the machine so I need to find ways to put it to work.

94touring

Something like this comes to mind.  I could make a list. 

jeff10049

94touring