High Beam Question

Started by SoCalMiniFan, July 20, 2016, 10:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalMiniFan

Quick run down: My high-beams don't work, when I push the stalk my headlights dim to my parking lights. High-beams work when I pull on the stalk (as to flash them)

Back Story:
Miss Mini blew the in-line fuse between her rear harness and the front.

This made it so the following didn't work:
- Tail lights (but brake lights did)
- Horn
- License plate Light

Side note:
When I first hooked up my Oil pressure gauge (last year) it wasn't tight enough and dribbled a little oil out, it ran down a green w/yellow wire into the connector. 

I didn't think much of the oil, I cleaned it all out and moved along in life.

Blowing the in-line once before and again I decided maybe the connector still has a bit of oil in it. 

So:

- I've clipped out the old green w/yellow connectors, put on new ones, connected the wires (this wire goes into my rear harness and into the Alternator Light switch.

- The in-line fuse holder was annihilated when it blew this last time so I got a new one, soldered in it.

- I also went in and cleaned up some cruddy wiring in the rear, nothing crazy. Soldered some places that had just been twisted and taped, checked the tail light connections, etc.

- Fiddled with the 2 fuses up front, cleaned them put some electric lube on them, re-installed.

Results:
Turned over Miss Mini. She started but it was harsh, it was rough, it was ugly, it sounded like the starter was choking. The starter squealed, something clunked, there wasn't smoke, no fuses blew and she did turn over. The horn didn't work.

I realized the 2 fuses were in but one was a little mis-aligned so I re-aligned it.  Now she starts up like normal, no hesitation. All the rear lights work, the horn works, the blinkers work, headlights work (parking lights, and lo-beams) but my high-beams don't work, when I push the stalk to high-beam ON position my headlights dim to my parking lights, when I pull the stalk to flash my high-beams they work.

Thoughts?

I have no clue

"If it's not fun, why do it?"

MPlayle

It may be something in the stalk switch.

The "Flash-to-Pass" should be turning on both the high and low beams simultaneously.  The push forward is supposed to turn off the lows and on the highs.  It may be that the wire connection for that is loose or corroded at the switch.

SoCalMiniFan

So when I push the stalk to turn on my High Beams, my lows go off to the parking light setting.  So what you say makes sense.  I'll explore more this weekend!
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

jeff10049

I chased a problem like that once on a four headlight system thinking no way the high beams in the dual bulbs and both high only bulbs could of all burnt out at the same time, they did it was as simple as 4 new bulbs. Just in case you haven't checked the bulbs sometimes I overlook the simple stuff.

Jeff