NAZI's on Long Island...

Started by Jims5543, March 31, 2016, 06:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

The following is an email from a good friend from Long Island NY. I thought it was fascinating and the first I have ever heard of it so I thought I would share, it was a PITA to convert he photos and rehost so I hope you find it as interesting.

In the years before World War II the German American Bund established a
camp for meetings in Yaphank in Suffolk County near what today exit 67 on
the Long Island Expressway.  It was used for Nazi rallies with the idea
of establishing a permanent community there.  Not all German Americans
were Nazis and while the vile and hateful nature of fascism was apparent
to those paying close attention to events in Germany the full horror of
the regieme in Germany had yet to manifest itself to some people here in
America.  These photos are from a recent historical display at a nearby
community college.  More information can be obtained a book on this
topic entitled "Wunderlich's Salute".

1. Trains from New York City would be participants to Yaphank where they
would be greeted with the Nazi salute

2. A poster for Camp Siegfried

3. There were plans and restrictive housing covenants designed for a
permanent community.  Note the street named for Hitler.

4. There was also an inn and restaurant for participants.  The building
still stands on a lakefront in Yaphank but the offensive swatstika has
been removed.

5. Another structure at Camp Siegfried

6. & 7. politicial events and hateful propaganda were part of the events
at Camp Siegfried

8. this stand is supposed to have mimicked the vast assembly ground in
Munich

9. social activities were present but the messaging was omnipresent

10. postcards of Camp Siegfried were available

11. some of the history and a postcard

12. & 13. political propaganda was directed at young people as well

With the onset of WWII and a greater awareness of the evils of Nazism
Camp Siegfried was closed down.  The leader of the German American Bund
Fritz Kuhn was convicted for embezzeling funds from the group to support
a series of mistresses.  After WWII he was deported to Germany and died
there in relative obscurity in 1951.

This is not a pleasant Long Island memory  nor for me personally as part
of my own family emigrated to the U.S. from Germany.  But it is part of
our history which should be acknowledged rather than forgotten.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MtyMous

That's really interesting. I had no idea that even existed. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I really like learning about things that have nearly faded into obscurity. I love the people who explore old abandoned buildings and places, and local history of small towns and local lore like this.

jeff10049

Thanks for posting very interesting.

MPlayle

Revive it and call it the new "Trump-land"?
;D

Let the slag-fest begin!?!

11.gif

Jims5543

Quote from: MPlayle on April 10, 2016, 07:06:21 AM
Revive it and call it the new "Trump-land"?
;D

Let the slag-fest begin!?!

11.gif

The media is doing its damnedest to throw the election.

I will just put this here, you tell me if this sounds like a racist Hitler type person. It is an article from 2008. Before he was running.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20239470,00.html
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Not to get political on my intrawebs site but there's other cases where he helped people in need and they weren't all white.  The system is corrupt  and so is the media.

Jims5543

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/11/461306-these-5-acts-of-kindness-reveal-theres-more-to-donald-trump-than-just-his-celebrity-persona/

If you want to pick out the races in the article knock yourself out. He is not racist otherwise he would never do what he does.

Jims5543

I can do this all night, I have 5 other articles I can post that show this man as a man who is compassionate and is a regular guy that helps out people who need help.

But, the point here is this, do not listen to the media, they are in bed with big politics and practice yellow journalism they slander Trump the further the desire of their owners.

The fact that the media is working over time to put out slam pieces one after the other on this cat, the fact that Washington DC is shaking in their boots, the fact that the man is not listening to any lobbyists or special interest groups, the fact that he has donated to most every candidate running (who probably said he was their pal when he was writing the check) and he knows how this game is played makes me like the guy.

I thought he was a joke when he started then started to take notice when I saw the media and Washington spinning out of control, then started to think, maybe this cat is what we need.

Our founding fathers were all businessmen first (some were land surveyors... giggity) and politicians second, makes me think this may be the ticket. Ross Perot was before his time, this may be the right time to put a businessman back in the white house.   

Here is another tid bit, a majority of Trump supporters are closet cases because the media and ill informed people in general attack the supporters. When election day comes Washington is not going to know what hit them.

MiniDave

Wow......just wow.

I suppose it's the big bad media's fault when he made those remarks recently about using Mexicans to build a wall between our countries, or the remarks he makes about women?

Truth is, Trump never wanted to be president, he simply wanted to shake things up, he fully expected to be well out of the race by now - in fact, I think he is now trapped into the race by his own success.

However, I do not believe he will make it to the finals, and he will be glad of it.

However #2, practically every other republican running is worse than Trump, and IMHO, that's saying something!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I haven't found anything he's said about the border and illegals I disagree with and I lived a quarter mile from it for 4 years.  You'll have to elaborate on remarks about women. 

MiniDave

Nope, I'm not going any further with this discussion, we'll simply agree to disagree and leave it at that....but I am NOT a Trump supporter.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

The media has pulled up old remarks made in the 90's when Trump was on the Howard Stern show and used them a quotes much of which was said in sarcastic jest in the spirit of the moment. I have not paid close attention to what they claim he is because most all of it is lies.

If the man hated woman or objectified them as much as the media makes out he would not have them running things in his organization.

I have my reservations about him, I think he is a hot head, most of his faux pas have been as a result of someone crossing him. Which is not a good indicator of a person being capable of being a leader of a county where diplomacy is needed. If we wanted a tough guy in office we could get Terry Cruise then we would really be fulfilling Idiocracy the movie. 

I am not even sure I would vote for the guy, but, it is bullshit what the media is making him out to be, it is very apparent what is going on. What is even sadder is so many are falling for it because it is being forced down their throats every single day.

He never called all Mexican rapists, another misconception from the media, he said Mexico authorities deport its problems into our county, those bad people are mixed in with the good people.

Go over to Mexico undocumented and see how long you get to stay there or any county for that matter. Hell, unless the laws have changed in the last 20 years, you cannot even own real estate there unless you are a citizen. We looked into a timeshare there and found we could only lease it for 99 years.

The bottom line it, this county is circling the drain, we cannot spend like we are and have a deficit like we have and continue.  Ramping up social services while pushing corporations out of the country is not a sustainable model to keep this country going. Something needs to change and sadly politicians are not going to do that, they work for special interest and only care about themselves.

The GOP and the games they are playing right now is a perfect example, the people are picking Trump and they are doing everything they can to get a bought and paid for politician in office.

He is not perfect that is for sure, he does not know how to play politics that is clear, perfect example, we all know his in NOT anti-abortion (I am sure the media is working overtime to find the ex-gf that had one) but he is towing the party line and it is almost laughingly apparent.  Sad our government has to pander to church in order to get elected to state. 

Sorry this took a political turn, bottom line contrary to what you think, I am not voting for the guy I am just tired of seeing him being slandered like he has been it is sad.

stan360

Quote from: Jims5543 on April 11, 2016, 03:50:49 AM
... fulfilling Idiocracy the movie.

I love the movie Idiocracy  .....

not to be in any political discussion,   but for those  not sure of  who President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho is, this is a fun clip of his state of the union address

94touring

Lol good one Stan.

Jim & Dave-  That recent commercial where women said quotes from trump saying tthings about women, were all quotes from Stern or the Apprentice.  All show bizz and for ratings.  I agree with your conclusions Jim. 

SoCalMiniFan

Back on Topic.

This article ran in the New York times in 2015.  I also remember a similar story running in the local rag when I was home visiting my parents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/nyregion/query-for-home-buyers-in-a-long-island-hamlet-are-you-german.html?_r=0

Growing up on Long Island I wouldn't have thought this even existed near my home, I guess as the article states things are changing within that community, but not entirely and that's sad. I went to a nice public school with a very mixed group of nationalities, races, and religions.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

Jims5543

Quote from: SoCalMiniFan on April 11, 2016, 10:36:19 AM
Back on Topic.

This article ran in the New York times in 2015.  I also remember a similar story running in the local rag when I was home visiting my parents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/nyregion/query-for-home-buyers-in-a-long-island-hamlet-are-you-german.html?_r=0

Growing up on Long Island I wouldn't have thought this even existed near my home, I guess as the article states things are changing within that community, but not entirely and that's sad. I went to a nice public school with a very mixed group of nationalities, races, and religions.

I grew up on LI in that area and had no idea it existed. I attended Longwood High School one town away and went to school with kids from Yaphank, which is the town this camp would have been in. Yaphank kids in the 80's were different, they had a clique called "Greasers" they dressed and acted like they were in the 50's. Greased back hair, blue jeans, boots and a white fruit of the loom t shirt was the uniform.

They were hugely racist and always at odds with the kids from Gordon Heights which was a lower class black neighborhood. I grew up in a town called Shirley which was a lower middle class whitish neighborhood.

When  I read about that camp suddenly those kids from Yaphank made sense to me and why they were the way they were.

SoCalMiniFan

Jim, I grew up in Wading River, I'm going to go with I'm a bit younger than you but I know Shirley, Yaphank, Mastic, I have a big family and a lot live in that area.  Small world.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

Jims5543

Holy crap! The place still exists today, street view the private road, it is called a German American Settlement League.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8413636,-72.9377764,181m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Oh and for the politics BS, I think Hillary is probably the best candidate, my only reservation is how hard Washington and the Media is trying to push Trump out. Makes me wonder what they are all afraid of.   

The last time a Clinton was in office we had the semblance of a balanced budget sadly that may never happen again.

94touring

Hillary gives me the hebe jebees as bad as Cruz does.  Both entirely too fake for me.  Sanders is genuine but his ideas suck. 

Jims5543

Hey!! She endured the humiliation of her husband cheating on her with... well... anything with a hole.  She EARNED this!!

I understand what you mean, she does come across as fake. Bernie is insane in my opinion, he has not idea how he is going to fund free everything for everyone but it is for the better.

Given the 4 contenders, she may do the least damage. I am still trying to figure out Trump, he has skirted a lot of policy so it is hard to know what his plan is. Making America Great is going to take more than a good slogan.

The business owner side of me wants to think he may be a good choice. I would like to be able to afford health care again. I had it all my adult life until 2010 when the rates shot up too high for it to make sense to me anymore. The prices started rising in anticipation of Obamacare, I suspect Insurance companies started to raise rates so they could lock them in as the "normal" rates. Now with this joke in place it is out of reach for me, I am not paying more than my mortgage payment for a family policy with a 13K deductible. We are not sickly people so we do not use it, I just want to be covered if something really bad surprised me.

We have been taking a huge chance these last few years, my younger son was in the hospital with pneumonia, the initial bill was 15K after some negotiating we got a cash price and then the rates that are for medicaid which made the out the door price 5K or 1/3 of what insurance would have paid.

This system in place is broken and I fear with Hilary in office (or Bernie) it will stay as is. My leaning towards a Republican is purely because I want to see Obamacare repealed.  Like you Cruz is not an option, Kasik is too bible thumpy for me, and I am so glad Rubio is gone he is a fraud.

John Gervais

The last time a Clinton was in office we had an impeached President. 

The Clintons feel 'entitled', and that in itself is a no-go for me.  Also, let's not forget the Whitewater days and associated shenanigans (There was a whole lot of interesting stuff going on in Arkansas back in the day - all of a sudden they're New Yorkers and frequenting my beloved Martha's Vineyard - GO HOME to ARKANSAS...).  Besides, she shouldn't be allowed to run, having compromised our national security and all...  Yeah, a small matter regarding her E-mail/computer discipline...

Or that Billary was probably the worst Secretary of State ever (why was she replaced by John Kerry?), or that her dabbling in public health care during Bill's administration cost millions and went nowhere - why she was, as a First Lady allowed to assume the role of a hired consultant I'll never quite understand...

I trust Trump - he thinks and speaks like I do.  Let's not forget that there's a tremendous learning curve and the job requires on-the-job training for anyone who becomes President.  It's all about who you select as advisors.

Rafael Cruz is just another politician, can't be trusted - besides, he was born in Calgary (Alberta, Canada).  Did they change the rules for who can become President???  I seem to recall that only 'Naturally Born' American Citizens could be eligible.  Ted Cruz is Canadian.

Bernie won't live through his term; he's too old - he should have thought about running 20 years ago - not that I'd have voted for him.  Kasich would probably make a good Secretary of State.
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Articles like this make me pause.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/billionaires-fund-anti-trump-delegate-push-221819

Why is big business pouring so much money into making sure Trump is not elected?  You have to wonder that and it is not because he is a mean man. There is way more to this, why?  Why are they so set on making sure Cruz is the nominee? Why do they have to make sure a politician and not a business man is in the WH?

If the republicans pull off this ousting and Trump runs independent, which I think is going to happen it is going to be a very interesting election cycle for sure.

Jims5543

BTW - The same guy that sent me the Nazi photos just sent me pictures from Iceland where he was during the protests that broke out as a result of the Panama Papers. The pics and commentary are really good I will upload the pics now to photobucket and see if I can copy pasta this evening.