I will never understand dishonest businesses.

Started by Jims5543, April 05, 2019, 04:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

I have been using the same Copier company since 2004 when I got into a war with Toshiba over them duping me on the price of a copier.

I purchased a new copy machine 2 years ago. It needs toner from time to time, I tell Dori to just call them and order when we need some.

I never really paid much attention to it all to be honest.

Mrs5543 mentioned to me last night over dinner that the Toner is $135 a cartridge and that seemed excessive to her. She said she wrote a check for over $270 for 2 cartridges delivered.

This morning I saw one sitting out and decided to jump on Amazon real fast and see how much they are on there.

$35 each.

I understand charging a little extra, but $100 a unit? Fuck you.

He will no longer get ANY of my business from here on out. I would have happily paid $50-$60 for the convenience of getting the toner the same day.  $100 over cost? And you know he gets them at a discount lowering price under $35.

And this is why Amazon is killing the brick and mortar and small business.

They should think to themselves, what if my client googles the price on this?

They do not and when this happens it makes me rage.

Next time I need a copier I am sure I can order one online and cut his profit margin out of that too.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

tsumini

He's probably got a storefront on Amazon so you will get it from him anyway plus pay shipping

MiniDave

No shipping if he's Amazon Prime.

This is why I buy all my Mini parts online and mostly from England. I know the retailer has to spend his money to inventory, and pay someone to ship, mind the store, there are property taxes and employment taxes and he wants to make a profit and so on.....

But when I can get it delivered in a few days for 1/3 the price it makes it hard to support the retailer.

However, I do wonder about this country if literally all the mom and pop stores are driven out of business by this method.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

No I do not know what he pays, he may be forced to pay retail, I had no idea Amazon was a Wholesale site.

Again, I understand $70 for a $35 part, I cannot comprehend $135 for a $35 part. No amount of explaining will fix that.

Makes me wonder how much my $5,000 copy machine really costs.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

tsumini

I have Prime and some things are not free shipping. Depends on the vender agreement with amazon. I was looking at coconut shell fiber as a substitute for horse hair on the back seat of the mini. The size I wanted was only available from a vender that charged $122.50 shipping. free shipping for Prime is kinda a lie.

94touring

The wedding caterers charged our card $200 and some change this week 3 months after the fact. No heads up and gave some BS reasons.  As you can imagine we weren't happy with how they handled it and they won't be getting any referrals.

jeff10049

Not sure on the toner but bikewiz is right I see stuff on amazon all the time way under my cost sometimes I could mark it (the Amazon one) up 400% and still not be at my cost! what I do in a case like that is buy it from Amazon and mark it up a reasonable amount or just tell the customer to get it themselves I get everything from my vendors overnight that beats Amazon most the time but if its a 400% increase not so much. I just bought some headlights for a motorhome they happen to be 2002 lincoln navigator.

Ford $680.00 they don't make them anymore was told they would be aftermarket eagle eye brand.
My best wholesale supplier $380 same brand
Amazon $135 same brand free shipping.

So if I bought them from my wholesale supplier and marked them up even a little and my customer checked amazon i'll look bad.

Anyone wanna buy a business?

Jims5543

Car parts are another whole ball of wax. I see that kind of fluctuation all the time.

Question Jeff,  If you can find the part on Amazon for so much less why not call out your supplier?