When I added the wheel spacers to the rear of my Mini (unspacered rear drums with front disk brakes), I checked for play in the rear bearings/hubs and repacked the bearings while I had the hubs off to install the longer studs.
I recently noticed a shimmy/vibration apparently from the front (noticeable in the steering wheel) that starts about 65-70 mph. It is still present after ensuring the wheels are balanced.
Today I went out and did some checking for play in the fronts and found if I grab top & bottom of the wheel and push the top while pulling the bottom style rocking, there is the faintest of play - just barely enough to feel. It appears to be in the hub as watching the ball joints while doing the rocking shows no movement there, but the movement does appear at the hub.
Is this a sign my front wheel bearings are going to need replacing soon?
If so, I will add that to my list of projects/tasks for during the turbo install.
Edit: The only "play" is the very faint up/down. There is no in/out play.
Disc brake hubs? What ft lbs and method did you use to torque them?
Yes, the front is disk brake hubs. I think I last did close to 150 ft-lbs, then to the next slot in the castle nut for the cotter pin.
To hold everything, I usually do it with the transmission in reverse and the engine locked by using my flywheel locking tool through the started hole.
I think there is supposed to be absolutely zero play in the front bearings, as that's what the spacer in the middle is for, to set the preload.
But sometimes it's wear in the hub flange that causes it, not the bearings, so you need to look at that closely.
Hub flange? I am having trouble picturing what that is in order to inspect it.
If it is hub flange wear, does that mean new hubs are needed?
Quote from: MPlayle on October 03, 2026, 11:44:04 AMYes, the front is disk brake hubs. I think I last did close to 150 ft-lbs, then to the next slot in the castle nut for the cotter pin.
To hold everything, I usually do it with the transmission in reverse and the engine locked by using my flywheel locking tool through the started hole.
Just to clarify, the front bearings are new? Did you do the "torque with flat washer first" procedure? I had to do it to mine after new front bearings.
I don't fully remember as it was about 4 years ago when I had the hubs of and redid the ball joints with the "maintenance free" ones.
I may play it safe and replace most of the assemblies - new hubs, bearings, drive flange, ball joints, etc. I know the brake pads were new when I did the ball joints and they still have lots of pad. I will likely reuse the calipers, pads, and rotors. Unless the shafts of the CV joints show obvious wear, they will also likely be reused.
It will be the beginning of November before I can really start taking anything apart to check.