Mk3/4 Shell

Started by SoCalMiniFan, May 11, 2016, 09:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalMiniFan

Found this on Craigslist. Not sure the story, he has significantly dropped the price over the past 2 months.  For $1800 it looks like a shell in decent shape.  If I had the space this would be in my driveway, just to have! I need the bonnet and boot.

Has no title and I'm assuming no vin but it appears to have all its suspension parts, chrome, and seats.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5580059264.html
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

94touring

Just don't be stupid!

MPlayle

Being a 1980, it likely has NOT been registered in California ever and thus not title.

Per the ad, it was used as a display piece.  The pictures tend to lead me to believe most of the factory wiring has been gutted and only wiring for the display sound system remains.

It does look to have potential for a decent shell and usable suspension parts.

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: 94touring on May 12, 2016, 05:11:22 AM
Just don't be stupid!

Of course not! 

Stupid is letting your significant other convince you buying a 1981 VW Westfalia is a good idea and owning it for 4 months and having it towed home from adventure twice thus far.  Most recently we went to get some shopping done, drove there just fine, shopped, went to drive home and we got it started but then choked on fuel and died out.  I made the quick assessment that it was the fuel pump since it no longer hummed and its the original so I assumed it just crapped out.  Had it towed home instead of the VW garage. Now it's blocking my Mini, I replaced the fuel pump, rewired the socket end of the Fuel Relay because it was melted and it still won't tick on and we have this heap of German poop occupying my parking spot and blocking the Mini. I'm waiting on an actual dual Fuel Pump relay that they no longer make and is specific to our "California" model vs. the "Federal" model. If THAT doesn't work we will have to have it towed to the mechanic. That's stupid.

I was thinking more along the lines of just being able to get usable parts off it. It has the drive shafts and probably some decent rear swing arms. The floor boards could be cut out and used as donor boards and those seats appear to be decent.

Oh well... I need a Garage-mahal.

"If it's not fun, why do it?"

94touring

I wouldn't go cutting metal off it.  I would find a ttitle to slap on it though.