E30 Road trip!!

Started by Jims5543, June 02, 2015, 06:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Invest in a variable speed buffer and some good polishing compound.  You won't regret it.  To be honest I've used the same harbor freight buffer for years.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on June 22, 2015, 02:33:33 PM
Invest in a variable speed buffer and some good polishing compound.  You won't regret it.  To be honest I've used the same harbor freight buffer for years.

The paint on this car is not worth the effort. I am pretty sure it is a Maco paint job and starting to lift off in a lot of places. It really needs to be sanded down and resprayed, I will do that soon, I have started to accumulate brand new trim pieces as I find them so when I do get to paint, it will look brand new outside.

I spent over 3 hours last night just washing off the white dust.  I sprayed down the entire frame under the car, then the wheel wells then washed the car. Then cleaned the door jambs, trunk lid and hood undersides. Then started on the engine and ran out of daylight, I still need to finish the engine and clean the air filter.

Now I need to shop for tires, I am also buying a new spare on a larger rim since the spare I have will not fit over the front big brake kit.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

I tossed the 15" bottlecap that was a spare in this car which was shot. The tire was 1/2 bald and barley had any treads on the tire that had tread, plus it was dry rotted and the big negative, if I had a flat in the front I had to rotate a rear tire to the front and put the spare in the back because the 15" bottle cap would not fit over the big brake kit.

So I spent about $230 at tire rack and ordered a 17" rim with a unidirectional hankook tire on it.  Now if I ever get a flat, I just toss the same type of tire I have on it already and motor on. Plus it resembles the rims on there, so you have to really look to notice I have a spare on.  ;D

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I just sold the same wheels from my rz7 for next to nothing.

Jims5543

These are the tires I put on the car on all 4 corners, great bang for the buck and the reviews are very good on them. @ just a tad over $100 a tire, and the performance the provide, I am very happy.

http://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/neo-gen-all-season-ultra-high-performance-tire/

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on June 29, 2015, 06:33:41 PM
I just sold the same wheels from my rz7 for next to nothing.

I needed 4 lug and a certain offset, this rim is a great insurance policy.  They are decent rims and the nice part is if I get a flat I can still drive it and not have to baby along.

94touring

Very well then.  I feel better lol.

Jims5543

I think once these tires wear out, I am changing rims on the E30 to some OZ's.

94touring

I'm an enkie guy myself.  I shaved a lot of weight by swapping wheels. 

Jims5543

The rims I have on it are pretty light but they are showing their age. I would love to do some Enkies but have not seen any that fit this car yet.

I like the OZ Ultraleggera Matte Graphite Silver rims. They weigh 15.8 lbs each so they are very light for 17" rims.

94touring

That's good.  My enkies are 16lbs for 17x10's in the rear if I'm not mistaken.