In the early stages of buying the official restoration-mini garage

Started by 94touring, October 11, 2015, 07:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on April 07, 2016, 11:25:44 AM
Well after much agony I'm finally actually closing on the shop.  Turns out buying a garage is tricky business.

WTF Mate?

First I am hearing of these problems. 

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Lol no.  Closing as in buying.  I'll get to your email in a ssecond.

LilDrunkenSmurf

Oh. That's much better news.

Closing the deal, not closing the shop.

Jims5543

LOL!! I missed the word "ON" that changes the entire sentence doesn't it?

Reading owns me today.  I read it too fast.

I need a beer.

*edit*

Fix sentence structure and use the correct two.

Damn I suck today, screw beer I need whiskey!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Once it's yours you'll forget all about the hassle it took to get it.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Was planning on buying a Hobart 140 gas mig welder since I'm due for an upgrade.  The Lincoln 120 or whatever it was worked great at the old shop but having gas and a little more power has been on the wishlist.  Did the spot repairs on this last car with a hf special but no way I'm doing the ridiculous amount of welding that I'm about to do with that thing. The 140 typically runs about $500.  Anyways as luck would have it Justin/Merlin found a Hobart 210 model sitting in a pawn shop for $440.  Being the swell guy he is, he snagged it for me.  More welder than I'll ever need.  Now we just need to add some more power and 220 outlet in the shop. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on April 12, 2016, 03:40:19 PM
Was planning on buying a Hobart 140 gas mig welder since I'm due for an upgrade.  The Lincoln 120 or whatever it was worked great at the old shop but having gas and a little more power has been on the wishlist.  Did the spot repairs on this last car with a hf special but no way I'm doing the ridiculous amount of welding that I'm about to do with that thing. The 140 typically runs about $500.  Anyways as luck would have it Justin/Merlin found a Hobart 210 model sitting in a pawn shop for $440.  Being the swell guy he is, he snagged it for me.  More welder than I'll ever need.  Now we just need to add some more power and 220 outlet in the shop.

More power is not always a good thing when doing sheet metal work. Too easy to blow holes in stuff.

94touring

MtyMous

I've got a Hobart Handler 175 and it's a freakin champ. I made a long ass welding extension cord for it with heavy gauge wire and terminations from lowes. Best decision I've made.

Was this a 210mvp? as in multi-volt? If so, I'll buy 10 at that price. haha.

94touring

This is the 210 before they went mvp.  Having it do 115 and 230 would be nice for portability but realistically I'm not going to be lugging it to some job site. 

MtyMous

It would be fine for you. With me moving around so much, I will almost never have a dedicated 220v outlet in my garage until I settle into a home. So the option of 110v for those quick jobs would be ideal. As it sits right now I have to run my long freaking 1" thick extension cord through the house to the laundry room. lol

94touring

Lol yeah I was thinking about doing that in the interim since the laundry room is right beside the shop door.   

94touring

Officially own it as of today 4.gif

Wired up the welder to give it a go.  Needing to get gas to run solid wire but on the low setting puts out a nice line on a piece of 1/8" steel and on the high setting burns holes through it. 

MiniDave

Finally!

That was a long hard slug, glad you got it done....btw, what are property taxes like there?

Ours are pretty stupid, the taxes on this $175K home in Kansas are higher than they were on my $250K house in Sandy Eggo......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Just got the updated property tax notice for the house we built. Had been paying on the old place as the county had not realized the old house had been replaced. They valued the new place at 346,000 and the taxes will be 5,042. I live inside the city limits so that adds another layer.

Yikes 50.gif

MiniDave

Yeah, ours aren't quite that high, but that's similar to the rates around here, I've seen $350K houses with $7K yearly tax bills - nutso!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

My condo in the city is about $680 for the year and the shop is about the same.  The mortgage after taxes and insuranceis $385 a month.  My condo mortgage is within about 10 bucks of the shop.  Everyone ready to move to Tulsa?

LilDrunkenSmurf

94touring

Often other pilots will ask me in sort of a jerkish tone "why do you live in Oklahoma!?"   Well...how do I explain.   

94touring

I intend to buy more condos in the coming years.  Ideally one a year.  Currently it's the only place you can buy downtown.  Since downtown is becoming popular and brought back to life it's a good investment.  There are a number of new apartments being added to old run down buildings that investors are buying up to renovate.  My building consist of two 20 story buildings with a combined 400 units.  I did my own renovations when I moved in to update the place.  You can't help but make money on the rent.  I listed my place for $1000 and it went the next morning.  Several of the less swanky units go for $1150.  Next time around I'll probably match the going rate since I'm in no pinch to get someone in. 

I made those countertops myself.

Jims5543

You did a fantastic job with that place, the kitchen is amazing.

I cannot believe how affordable rent is in a downtown area there.

94touring

Today was spent screwing with this welder.  Got gas yesterday and hooked it up today.  Hit the feed button and gas never shuts off.  Ends up being the solenoid, which after some wd40 cleans up the contacts and it works as it should.  But it still seems I had a leak so more investigating and found a bad o ring.  Anyways I finally got it working with gas (after changing polarity, who knew) but damned if I didn't go through half the bottle trouble shooting. 

MiniGene

Hey Dan, I just read through this entire thread.  It's been a while since I stopped by here.  Congrats on the new shop!  It looks like an amazing place to live and work. 

94touring

Thanks!  You need to post more often!  We have a beer thread that you could be showcasing all this European beers in.