Destiny on Playstation

Started by Jims5543, December 03, 2014, 07:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

*before reading on, if you are not a gamer or a geek type, then you will not understand this, I cannot explain it either*

Because working 70 hours a week affords me free time for FPS games. /sarcasm

I have not played any FPS (first person shooter)  type games since Wolfenstein 3D, Quake and Doom on a PC 20 years ago.

I have dabbled with each of my kids playing Halo on the X-box here and there but never really got into it.

Well the TV commercials, reviews online and my older son, piqued my interest in this new game called Destiny.

If you used to play FPS games like I used to, do not buy this game, it will consume you.

I still prefer GT5 and once the older guy moves back out (he is staying with us temporary while his new apartment was behind schedule on a remodel) this weekend, I have been slowly gathering the wares and have amassed a setup for a Driving station for GT5 on my old PS3 on an old 32" 720p TV in his old room. Mrs.5543 will be delighted. 

I find car racing more relaxing. These FPS games leave me exhausted and fatigued.  My older son laughs at me. But, Destiny is really fun and VERY immersing. The premise is the earth has fallen to alien races. The only city left is  "New Russia"  your journey (battles and missions) take you to the Moon, Mars, Venus, and Jupiter. So far, for me anyway. As well as earth outside the settlement. You can play as a human, or as an ally alien race character. 

This is a screen shot from the actual game play. The graphics are remarkable.

As is this:
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MtyMous

Need the game... Need a PS4... Need a 4K tv. haha. I also need to finish my Mini... so it looks like the games are shelved for a while.

Jims5543

I hear you, my problem is time. I worked my ass off to actually take the entire 4 days of Thanksgiving weekend off, and did get to play a bit over that weekend. During the week?  Hell no, it is not like when I was younger and had a lot more spare time, this is a weekend type of thing.

Also, I understand the Xbox 360 version of Destiny is actually very solid. So a new console is not mandatory.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MtyMous

I've got a PS3 now. Hardly use the thing other than the occasional Twisted Metal or Gran Turismo bout. I'll probably wait on the PS4. I'm gonna want whatever comes next I'm sure. Or if there's a 4K upconverter/blu-ray model coming out soon I'll be pissed I missed out on it. haha. Just gives me an excuse to save money

Mudhen

I was just talking to my oldest about Wolfenstein yesterday - I used to get motion sickness really bad playing that.  After a half hour I'd spend 2 hours recovering.

Boys are really into Call of Duty: Ghosts..getting PS4 for Christmas so I'll check Destiny out!

Jims5543

I have a problem with FPS games where you are shooting people, call me crazy, hence there has never been a COD or Gears of War type game for my kids. Halo I was o.k. with because you are fighting aliens. Destiny is the same way you are fighting aliens.

That said my older son (21) played COD and GOW a lot when he was older. Right now he and his friends are into League of Legends. I tried it, not my thing.

You can get the Destiny edition PS4 (it is white and comes with the game) that is what I did.

Jims5543

FYI - Amazon has Destiny on sale from now to Christmas for $29.99.

Mudhen

Fk Sony and fk Bungie for this stupid f'king thing.

Got the kids this bundle for Christmas and haven't been able to play yet!  Pisses me off that even though we have the game in hand it says it has to download an update in order to play.  That should be against the law.

Called Sony tonight to complain - as usual, spent an hour on the phone, troubleshot a hundred things, 'once this download gets done you should be all set'.

Nope.

I blame you...and Mini Sport.  Fk Bungie and fk their high lift rockers.

Crap, probably mixing things up here.   11.gif

Jims5543

Uhg! That stinks!

I never had a problem but have to admit I burned out on it and stopped playing. There may be a huge update I need as well.

And yes I agree, I do not like this online crap. You have to be signed into the play station network to play and you need a $4 a month premium membership.

I miss just playing on my own without needing to be online.

Mudhen

I spent a few hours geeking out on this today - redid my home network inserting a Cisco switch into the middle so I could span a port and connect up an analyzer to it.  After getting no meaningful data out of the packet capture I went back into my wireless router and undid all the crap that was in it - voila!

I think the problem was during the big denial of service attack on PSN over the holidays I added a NAT and some other garbage that wasn't needed.

Haven't tried the game yet but one of my sons said, 'it's kind of scary, pup'.   77.gif

Jims5543

It is not a relaxing game I can tell you that, it is stressful and moves pretty fast.

It is fun though and keeps the reflexes sharp.

Mudhen

Ever have any account issues with PSN, etc???

I got hacked last night - racked up $400 worth of games on my credit card - WITH NO RECOURSE!

I can't believe it - credit card said, 'since you've previously authorized purchases with them it's not fraud, call us back if you don't get anywhere with them and we'll open a dispute'.  Then looking at the agreements you need to agree to in order to sign up (for the required PSN account) they said, 'not responsible for fraudulent charges to your account'.  And on the forums it sounds like the case!!

Insane.  They require you to have the account, you have to pay your monthly fee, and then their system gets hacked and they hang you out to dry.  If we dispute the charges they close our account for 6 months I guess - or ban our PS4 from attaching to their network (which the hacker can actually do now, too!).

This is exactly our situation:

http://www.vrworld.com/2015/03/12/psn-hacker-racks-up-600-in-fraudulent-charges-sony-refuses-to-help/

FK!

Jims5543

That is vary disturbing, I think I have not been using the PS4 at all lately, I may call and cancel my subscription stating your problem is my concern.

Thanks for sharing that. I am going to keep a close eye on it.

Mudhen

I finally got someone from Sony on the phone last night and the article didn't lie.  They sounded real helpful until they added up the charges - $401?  Sorry, we can't reimburse you for that, most likely your information was stolen somewhere else and used here.  LOL - ya, most people that steal your credit card go straight to PSN and buy games - and somehow they also knew exactly whose PSN account it was linked to.   :D

Called my c/c and yelled at them instead - did I authorize the purchases?  No!  I buy things online from Playstation but I didn't authorize this, how is it different from buying at any online merchant?  So they agreed to cover us.  WHEW!  But Sony did say our account will be locked for doing it.  Which means any games/options we've rightfully purchased over the last year will be gone.  Suck.  But we really haven't purchased much - a few add on packs I think, and one stupid game that we never played...can't imagine if we'd bought full games; we'd be just throwing them away at that point.   ::)

Glad we hadn't used our debit card!