DIY repair of hybrids just got easier

Started by BruceK, August 07, 2020, 10:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Just saw this: it will now be easier for those that want to work on old hybrid cars to get complete replacement batteries since major parts supplier Dorman is offering plug and play replacement battery units available at local parts stores.  No need to pay dealership prices.   

I imagine it won't be too long before they offer full battery packs for full electric cars like the Leaf too.  Tesla next?

And will this mean down the road that more home mechanics will consider trying to convert old cars to electric?   Supposedly that is the future of hot rodding.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jedduh01

Pretty Rad = Dorman bringing a big name to the wide game and a needing business.

On one hand -  Dorman has a bad rep for copy parts in the industry of auto repair . Just my hearings. and YES some use = buy a doorman window regulator = it will last 1 year.

NOW did Dorman buy or invest in a re-builder  of these battery packs to supply reliably? There are plenty of aging Toyota Prius / Nissan Leafs / Chevy Volts that could use an extention to life.
this would be the right way to keep them going.   Good way to also recycle vs a shoddy recycl process.

I even have seen some battery packs on the floor at Pull A Part junkyard if anyone wants it.  Unknown condition

ADRay

Interesting. My partner has a Prius C that she had planned to drive until the battery dies. Guess that doesn't have to be the case anymore
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on August 09, 2020, 05:15:29 PM
Quote from: Jims5543 on August 09, 2020, 05:11:06 PM
FYI -

http://www.newpriusbatteries.com/

A need is found and several competing solutions developed.   Ain't capitalism wonderful?

Indeed!

There is a lady in Texas that started a Prius battery replacement company, she only hires veterans, that comes to you, changes out your batteries for you in less than 4 hours and charges a reasonable price that is less than Toyota. She is probably using that battery company above and charging an install fee.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

Quote from: Jims5543 on August 09, 2020, 05:11:06 PM
FYI -

http://www.newpriusbatteries.com/

Also this...

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29886/a-tesla-swapped-e30-bmw-means-youll-never-miss-a-yellow-light-again

That e30 is nicely done what a cool conversion. it'll be great when the energy density of batteries gets better so he can get some trunk space back. Space is the biggest deterrent for me Id Like to do a conversion but to get any range with current battery tech you pretty much have to fill every square inch in an older car with batteries.