almost time to build a paint booth again..

Started by 94touring, May 20, 2012, 04:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

This time bigger and better.  We had one long ago in the shop, but since then its been trashed.  So here in the near future, given my projects, I will build a new one.  I've decided to install an AC unit, cause I'm not working in thousand degree heat this summer.  Will make for a nice temp controlled work space for other various projects, and a home for my truck as I reassemble it. 

Nicholasupton

You should get one like I have. Just blow it up when you need it and fold it up and out of they way when you dont.

Not the best picture of the paint booth as I normally take pictures of whats in it.  ;D

MiniGene

94touring

Whoa that looks cool.  Where does one get one of those and how much?  The one in our shop is hung from the metal rafters when we're done, but the one you use might work. 

Nicholasupton

It was made in the UK by carcoon for doing spot repairs on larger cars. I have found out is works great for doing mini's and other small british cars.

94touring

So I finally got around to this.   Materials are here.

MiniGene

94touring

Ah, that's a secret!   Well not really.

94touring

I've started.

94touring

Walls up and ceiling almost done.

MiniGene

Very cool. What are the lighting and ventilation plans?

94touring

Lights on top, a couple AC units on the side wall plus a filter with the high speed fan pushing air in for when I'm actually painting.  A filter up front by the door for the exhaust.  I'll be insulating it too. 

jedduh01

Looks Amazing - 

I wouldn't call that temporary - Chilled Paint booth - the place to be.   Any concerns with the AC unit pumping in junk while painting... 

Then you can build another one beside it with Carpet floor + AC - "the Re assembly Booth"  Will be nice for the summer months.

Is it going to be Plastic Lined too?

Would like to know your process completely.

joltfreak

look at all that space!!!!
Both my minis just fit (Nose to tail) in my Garage! i need to roll one out whenever i do any work on the other!!!

i need an bigger garage...........  50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif 50.gif
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

I should have taken a pic for you jolt, I have two minis in there right now, and could do 3 if I did them side by side long ways.  Not a huge area to paint normal sized cars, but perfecto for minis.  Today I did some insulating after laying down the roof plywood.  I'm basically building a normal room, complete with drywall.  The AC unit won't be running while I paint, but the shop fan pushing air through a filter will be.  The AC is basically just there for when I'm doing normal work leading up to the actual paint job.  Multi purpose room you could call it.  I've gotten wimpy over the years and working in a shop when its 100 out just isn't appealing.  This is all the room I need for a full on build start to finish.  Then the top serves as an area to store parts.  The door on the front will be a zipper door made from plastic.  I'm thinking of taping two pieces together and insulating the center.  In the winter it will stay nice and warm in there too.  And if I ever become homeless again I can move in.   ;D

Davisio

Do I recognize that vehicle "testing" the booth?   17.gif

94touring

That's actually my pickup. I just can't seem to finish it. Probably cause I work on everyone else's car lol.

94touring

Realize when you get here there will be minis every where and one getting dropped off the day you arrive.

Nicholasupton

Quote from: 94touring on July 05, 2013, 09:41:00 PM
That's actually my pickup. I just can't seem to finish it. Probably cause I work on everyone else's car lol.

Welcome to my world. I have a MK1 that I want to build for myself that has been waiting in the wings for over 6 years.

94touring

Some more details of the paint booth.  You can see the fan I use, zipper door, the inlet filter and exhaust filter.  Tomorrow I insulate the ceiling as well as the zipper door to keep in the cool air from the AC unit.  Gotta wire up the lights and aside from drywall all done, and I may get around to the drywall another time since the insulation is stapled  into place and not going anywhere.

94touring

Over 100 in the shop and getting closer to a comfy temperature inside the booth.  The key will be the insulation.

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on July 11, 2013, 06:27:20 PM
Over 100 in the shop and getting closer to a comfy temperature inside the booth.  The key will be the insulation.

I've been struggling to keep my garage doors closed with a humidifier on to keep the humidity down - seems like I could just sit and watch metal rust in there during the summer months (no comments about my lack of progress and if I'm really just sitting watching metal rust).  Do you have to worry about that out there?

94touring

Humidity is not great here but not as bad as other places I've lived.  It will surface rust over a long period of time. 

94touring

Wrapping things up.  Showing the front zipper door and how it rolls up.  I put a couple hooks on each side of the door and have a bar at the bottom of the plastic that hangs on the hooks.  For added insulation I put a layer of bubble wrap on the plastic door.