Political post- Trump Rally in my back yard.

Started by 94touring, June 20, 2020, 09:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I'm sharing what another guy wrote.  It summarizes the days event perfectly.  Since I live 2 blocks from where the event was held I walked around yesterday and at the rally today for about an hour and a half.  Mainly I was curious and figured since the news will skew it, you can get a real account of what really happened if you care.  Here goes...

I just spent the last 24 hours photographing the Tulsa Trump Rally and it is nothing like we are being told.  This is my experience covering the event.

Yesterday I saw a lot of normal, friendly people in line to see their president. Some were camping out overnight and others had gotten hotels.  They spanned maybe three blocks so I'm estimating 200 die-hard fans.  Every single one of them was pleasant to me, excited to be there, and all smiles.  There were vendors with every kind of Trump kitsch imaginable and one lone protester carrying a sign that said "Don't sacrifice your health to soothe Trump's ego."  A few people drove by with music playing loudly and lyrics of "Fuck Trump" or signs out the window saying "Black Lives Matter." Not many people had on masks, but you could definitely buy one with Trump's name on it.  It reminded me of a high school tailgate before a big game.

Today I went back around 1pm, just after the gates into the Secret Service secured area opened.  There were a few more protestors and hundreds of people milling about and this time it reminded me of the state fair. Twice as many vendors had popped up and there were police and national guardsmen calmly monitoring the area. All of the people waiting in line had been admitted and they all neatly stacked up their chairs and tents outside the gate. Again, not much to see or photograph that I hadn't gotten yesterday.

I went back again around 3pm with my assistant and this time we could hear protests a block away as we walked up.  As we arrived at the gate, there were maybe 200 people gathered and protesting.  One man had a bullhorn and was arguing that the BLM movement was a bunch of thugs as a small group of protesters marched up and down a half block stretch of road.  There was around a 1:10 ratio of photographers to protestors. I shot some "conflict" shots but honestly they were pretty boring so we set off for the actual rally.

They had closed the main gate (I think after that one protester got arrested earlier in the day) but we were directed to a second gate a few blocks away. Here it gets a little strange: There was a black woman at the gate yelling about the gate being closed.  She was yelling that how could she truly protest if they were keeping her out, etc.  I had just gotten directions to the second gate and approached her to say that I was heading to an entrance if she wanted to come with me.  She looked at me and then started yelling to the crowd "Oh I'm not about to go in there with all those police ready to beat me down!" and without missing a beat changed her story from "I can't get in" to "I don't feel safe going in."  I was disappointed but headed into the rally.

At the second entrance we passed a row of police officers monitoring the gate and then walked up to a checkpoint where they were passing out masks to people who didn't have them.  They then took our temperature, gave us a wristband and a sticker, and we walked up to a security checkpoint where we emptied our pockets and officially entered the rally. Inside we were offered free cold water and hand sanitizer.  It was well organized, everyone was friendly, and we got through in less than 5 minutes. 

To get to the BOK center we had to walk around the post office building next door.  There were huge video screens set up periodically and a line of food trucks along the path.  As we walked up to the BOK Center everyone was friendly, organized, and happy.  I asked a lady in line how fast it was moving to get into the BOK Center and she said very quickly; they were almost halfway and had been in line for maybe 20 minutes she said.  There were a lot of people but everyone there was confident they would get into the arena.  There was not a lot photo worthy so we decided to head back.  At this point we had seen everything there was to see without actually going into the BOK Center.

We had to exit west of the BOK and walk back downtown around the Cox Center.  It took about 15 minutes but when we were back at the main gate area things got really strange.  The tensions of the protesters had doubled and in the area just outside the main gate people were starting to get into fights.  Now I say fights but no one actually touched each other.  At first there were two men yelling and they were surrounded by at least 30 cameras, cell phones, and microphones.  I thought "well here we go" but just as it was about to result in an actual fight, a young white boy yelled "Say his name!" and all at once the cameras left the fight and focused on him.  As everyone was going to see the next big fight, the two men from before just walked away from each other and blended into the crowd.

I approached the young man and said thank you for doing that.  It really seemed to have diffused the situation. He said they were from Wichita and he was just doing his part.  Suddenly another fight erupted, this time between two white men and once again the cameras flocked to them.  I thought... this seems awfully choreographed and four or five times the pattern repeated: two protestors got face to face, yelling, and drew the attention of the media.  They surrounded them and it got more and more tense until another shout drew their attention and they moved to cover that.  Then once again the two people fighting disappeared back into the crowd.  At this point my assistant was uncomfortable and we decided to leave.

That little crowd was so unnerving.  It all seemed so intentional and rehearsed.  The white kid talking to me at arm's length.  The black woman changing her protest cry.  The old man on the bullhorn pushing all the right buttons.  And this was the ONLY place with cameras.  This was the ONLY place with protestors.  And they all showed up within an hour.

Everyone that wanted to go to the rally was able to. None of these people seemed to want to go inside the secure area. My skin crawled with the feeling that this was all a dangerous dance.  I even thought at the end that the people arguing maybe came on the same bus.  They weren't actually fighting each other... it appeared to me that they were trying to get someone else, a local protester or a true Trump supporter to throw the first punch.

But they weren't there; Tulsans had all stayed home and the Trump supporters had all gone into their rally.  We left them there, arguing and playing it up for the cameras, all of whom were eating it up.  It made me sick to my stomach to think that THIS would be the story tonight about Tulsa because this half block stretch was where the only conflict was happening.

MiniDave

I don't know if it's true or not at this point, but I'm reading that teens got online and registered for most of the tix to go to the rally - of course they had no intentions of going - so the campaign got trolled by kids. It's just what I've read, not sure how true it is at this point.....still reading.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've heard that too and I'm sure it's true to an extent.  There were tons of trump supporters outside having basically a block party during the rally and the cox center next door was also holding people.  From some of the empty seats in the upper deck of the BOK center they probably could have consolidated. 

BruceK

Several months ago I came across this article from a life-long Democrat (a psychologist) who decided, sort of as an experiment, to actually attend a Trump campaign rally and see things for herself.   Like the guy at top of this thread, what she found surprised her. 

https://gen.medium.com/ive-been-a-democrat-for-20-years-here-s-what-i-experienced-at-trump-s-rally-in-new-hampshire-c69ddaaf6d07
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Honestly everyone was very nice and happy.  I wasn't sporting Trump gear either so I could have easily been anti Trump to them.  The real jerks were actually the BLM crowd.  Full of hate and disdain.  The flip side were the blacks for Trump group, and there were many.

MiniDave

I'm sorry, but that article was clearly written as propaganda for Trump....I'm not buying a word of it.

And for the record, I'm not a supporter of either candidate. I think they both are just wrong......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

BruceK

Yes.  She is indeed legit.  After reading that article months ago, I've seen several videos on YouTube where she talks about the 180 degree changing of her political beliefs.  She is a well-known organizational psychologist and has written for such magazines as Forbes.

Dogmatically dismissing the article she wrote out of hand does nothing but keep a person in the same echo chamber where they only hear the same shit they like hearing over and over.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I remember her friends telling her to be careful going to a rally.  The day prior to the rally I set out on foot to get coffee.  Ran into a friend of ours a block over on her 2nd story balcony as I passed on the sidewalk below.  To say she's liberal is an understatement.  She proceeded to tell me all the roads were blocked, I'd be turned away, and to be careful of the Trump people as if I'd be shot on site.  Complimented her hair and was on my way.  What I found was the total opposite of what she said.  She's been self isolating for months and probably needs to get out more.

John Gervais

I watched the rally last night on YouTube (RSBN live streaming) and I thought it was great!  Nobody can keep a crowd 'up' quite like the President.

I do feel it quite disturbing though, that a bunch of kids were able to scam ticket requests by using a chinese 'app'.  Why would any American be using a communist chinese 'app'?

Dan, did you feel the earthquake?  https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ok2020mcmz/executive
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I did feel the earthquake!  Shook me on the couch good!

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on June 21, 2020, 08:20:23 AM
I don't know if it's true or not at this point, but I'm reading that teens got online and registered for most of the tix to go to the rally - of course they had no intentions of going - so the campaign got trolled by kids. It's just what I've read, not sure how true it is at this point.....still reading.

You read correctly an active congressman urged people to get online and muck up the ticket system. There were close to 1 Million requests for 20K seats. The joke here is that is now how it works, you get a first come first serve ticket (they will issue 1 Million of them) then you proceed to the check in and you get your spot. That is why people line up days before.  No one is guaranteed a spot.

So all the congressman did was muck up the online process.

The real problems were on the ground at the entrance, as Dans OP eludes to they had to close one of the entrances due to problems, then problems started at the other entrances as well, protesters started blocking the entrances so no one could get in.

Quote from: BruceK on June 21, 2020, 09:25:38 AM
Several months ago I came across this article from a life-long Democrat (a psychologist) who decided, sort of as an experiment, to actually attend a Trump campaign rally and see things for herself.   Like the guy at top of this thread, what she found surprised her. 

https://gen.medium.com/ive-been-a-democrat-for-20-years-here-s-what-i-experienced-at-trump-s-rally-in-new-hampshire-c69ddaaf6d07

I remember hearing about Karen, before attending she was a very vocal Anti-Trumper.  Her journey was an interesting read.

Quote from: BruceK on June 21, 2020, 01:23:37 PM
Yes.  She is indeed legit.  After reading that article months ago, I've seen several videos on YouTube where she talks about the 180 degree changing of her political beliefs.  She is a well-known organizational psychologist and has written for such magazines as Forbes.

Dogmatically dismissing the article she wrote out of hand does nothing but keep a person in the same echo chamber where they only hear the same shit they like hearing over and over.

Indeed, she is legit, I can post up dozens of black people who are all waking up too.  Maga Hulk comes to mind:

I just stumbled upon Seymore Views.  He cracks me up, he is as real and down to earth as they get. NSFW language.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

It's hard for me to guess how many people were there in total. It was like 3 square blocks of parade type crowds outside while people were inside the Cox building and the Bok center.  Virtually the rest of downtown was dead.  This one new brewery type bar was open, subway, and deco bar which we popped into for food and we were 1 of 2 couples there eating.  The other couple had on trump hats and were live streaming his speech. 

Also noteworthy aside from zero looting or violence was the fact NO trash was left behind on the streets.  I made a pass around this morning and it was spotless as it was when we left around 7pm last night.  I didn't see anyone drinking, drunk or belligerent prior to the rally either.  The bikers for Trump were parked in front of our building along side 3 buses of national guard. No one was fucking with my block lol.

tsumini

I see Oregon/ Oregon State have decide not to call their football game the Civil War anymore.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/oregon-oregon-state-to-stop-calling-rivalry-game-civil-war/ar-BB161ifc?li=BB15ms5q
I'm not sure how Civil War got appropriated as a slavery action. I believe our Civil War was the only one with slavery as an issue. Civil wars have ben fought for generations and are more power/economic reasons. The term should remain generic and not "owned". I can see conceding appropriate action (such as not capitalizing civil war) but I see people/comapnies/politicians falling all over themselves pandering to a cause. As bad as seeking publicity for giving to charitable donations.

MiniDave

I wonder if they'll still call the KU/MU game the "Border war" now?

The political correctness pendulum is still swinging......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Too much sensitivity.  The Dixie chicks are just the chicks now.  :-[

gr8kornholio

Yep and our company is changing part naming convention. No more master and slave chips for stacked memory.  Guess the auto industry will follow suite for master and slave cylinders.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on June 27, 2020, 07:29:19 AM
Yep and our company is changing part naming convention. No more master and slave chips for stacked memory.  Guess the auto industry will follow suite for master and slave cylinders.

Instead of focusing on all this PC crap about the use of words because they might make someone think of slavery, and tearing down historical statues (some of whom were abolitionists!), perhaps a little effort could be made to, you know, sort of work to eliminate all the slavery that still exists here in the modern world.

Oh, and on the subject of slavery, a little education would helpful to explain that it was not just Africans, but throughout history people of every race have been slaves.  And very unfortunately, many still are slaves today.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/feb/25/modern-slavery-trafficking-persons-one-in-200

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/06/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worst-countries-for-modern-slavery/277037/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

tsumini

Quote from: gr8kornholio on June 27, 2020, 07:29:19 AM
So what is the new mini sl...e cylinder to be called or do we get a choice.

94touring

Privileged cylinder and BLM cylinder?  I can honestly say though I've never actually thought about slavery when working on my master/slave cylinders.  Is it really a thing people think about?   

BruceK

Perhaps Democrat politician cylinder (instead of Master) and Social Justice Warrior cylinder (instead of slave).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on June 27, 2020, 07:13:51 AM
Too much sensitivity.  The Dixie chicks are just the chicks now.  :-[

Master bedrooms and bathrooms are now called primary.

Not joking either.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

I can already see it:   A Masters Degree is next on the chopping block.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Just saw John Wayne is being erased, but Jimmy Kimmel and Tina Fey are both going to get a pass.

Funny how hypocrisy works.

Bruce -  Princeton is removing Woodrow Wilsons name from its buildings.