Have you ever tried to purchase a lamp?

Started by John Gervais, December 20, 2016, 09:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

This was my day today.  Though it doesn't really compare in intensity with Jim's Monday, it was the kind of day I loath...

It started out as any other day this time of year; Christmas is rapidly approaching and I've no idea of what to buy for Hyacinth.  Yesterday, she finally gave a clue; she commented that she'd like a new lamp for the bedroom in order not to disturb me when she wakes up in the morning.  Cool - I can sleep...

She then says she'd like to move a rather festive Verner Panton Flowerpot VP3 lamp (in bright red) from the living room to the bedroom, and replace it with the same model in turquoise. 

http://www.danishdesignstore.com/products/panton-vp3-flowerpot-table-lamp-andtradition

Super - I can handle this!  Or so I thought.  The bright colors that had been produced for ions have all been replaced by other, more discreet and sophisticated colors, including the turquoise which would match a sofa pillow she'd introduced to the decor last summer.  I called over 35 different shops, including designer shops in Germany and Norway, trying to find a leftover turquoise lamp.  I found several cheap Asian knock-offs, but the real deal is unobtainable. 

So I figure, ok, onto the Bestlite BL7 to match the one already hanging on the wall in the bedroom.  Somehow, we need two lamps, his and hers, and though I never read in bed, it's necessary...

http://gubi.com/en/products/lighting/wall-lamps/bestlite/bl7/bestlite-bl7-wall-lamp_001-07100/

I called 'our' furniture store, and of course, they didn't have the color of one we currently have in stock.  I commented something to the effect that I rather expected to hear that; t'was par for the day and I explained that I was looking for a VP3 in turquoise.  "Oh, I have one, but it's a display model" he replied.  Really?  Is it in good shape?  "I'll check -"  Super - "Ok, it has a small scratch on the stem, but it's not really noticeable - I'll give you a good price -"  I'll be right down.

So I get there, and the gouge is through to the steel, there's a dent in the base that he hadn't apparently noticed, and a second chip in the paint higher up the stem.  Umm, no thanks...

In the end, I ordered a deep red VP3 from the new color pallet for the living room, hope she likes it - and a BL7 just like the one I don't use for the bedroom.  I'll hopefully never go through this again. 
- Pave the Bay -

stan360

Do think she may like  this one....."it's a major award"   :o

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

I am still paying for Monday. Who needs sleep, its over rated anyway.

Sounds like to find a solid solution.

That leg lamp LOL!!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson