Rod Change oil seal fix?

Started by Dmulder, February 28, 2016, 11:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmulder

How hard is it to change the oil seal, ring, and protective boot on a rod change shifter?  My rubber boot appears to be torn and I have a small oil leak. Want to do this before I put a skid plate on. Is there anything else I should be looking at for need of replacement while I'm in the there? 
Thanks,
Devin
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

I use this kit, it adds an aluminum ring behind the seal that I think keeps the shift rod from wobbling and lets the seal live longer.  The boot is just to exclude road dirt, it doesn't seal anything. Available from all the usual suspects....

While you're in there, take a good close look at your axle seals, they are prone to wearing out too....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

That is the kit I've been looking at. Just wondered if I should consider checking any other parts pieces while in there to be changed?

MiniDave

In the transmission? Nothing much more you can do with it in the car and attached to the engine save the axle seals.....of course if you pull that shift rod seal out you'll be doing an oil change too!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Dmulder

I watched a YouTube video of Jamal removing the roll pin with a simple punch. I might get a new roll pin though.

MiniDave

Quote from: bikewiz on February 28, 2016, 03:57:35 PM
Make sure when you're under the car there isn't one of the kits already installed, the aluminum piece is a bear to get out if it's already there.

Why would you need to remove the aluminum ring? Seems to me the seal is the only part that is worn and leaking.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

The next best thing to the proper pin removal tool is a 3/16" drift.... $3 at the hardware store.
Put the shifter in R...gives you the best angle.

MPlayle

Also, be cautious about the rubber accordion boot.  There have been recent discussions about them being too stiff and not squishing sufficiently to let the shifter fully engage all gears.

MiniDave

Quote from: bikewiz on February 28, 2016, 05:50:44 PM
The aluminum ring has an O-ring in the inside at least the kit I got had it. If you don't check and drive the new aluminum piece in you're just making more work for yourself because one has to come out either new or old.

The o-ring goes on the outside of the aluminum ring, that seals the outside edge of the aluminum ring to the case - that shouldn't wear as it doesn't move. If it has an aluminum spacer already in there, I think I'd just change the seal and add the bellows, but like mplayle says, make sure you can get all the gears

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Interesting, I wasn't trying to argue with you - I've never seen one with an o-ring inside the aluminum support piece, that's all. I wouldn't think that would work well actually - seems like an o-ring is not a seal made for motion.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad