And I broke down

Started by 94touring, October 19, 2017, 08:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Headed to my shop this morning (well right now) I died.  Stopped to get gas because I was running on E and stumbling.  Got a few more miles after filling up and the car started popping through the carb. Pulled over and found the wire from thr coil was arcing. Secured the wire, arcs stopped, drove a few more miles and died for good.  Once triple A gets me to my shop I'll begin digging in to see what the problem is.

BruceK

Sorry to hear that.  Fried coil perhaps?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

At least you look to be a safe place and the weather looks nice.

94touring

Weather couldn't be better!

Back at the shop.  Compression is 120, 140, 0, 140.  Is that bad?  Lol

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on October 19, 2017, 09:36:21 AM
Weather couldn't be better!

Back at the shop.  Compression is 120, 140, 0, 140.  Is that bad?  Lol

Well, when you were in Texas in the Spring you mentioned it was a tired engine.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Notice anything unusual here?

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on October 19, 2017, 10:35:37 AM
Notice anything unusual here?

When your #3 cylinder ran away it took part of the distributor cap with it?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Supposed to be a button in there in the middle......but I doubt that will affect the compression much......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 19, 2017, 10:48:31 AM
Supposed to be a button in there in the middle......but I doubt that will affect the compression much......

I didn't actually mean the cylinder compression had anything at all to do with the distributor cap, because it clearly doesn't.   

I was just saying they both went AWOL.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I took the dizzy out, inspected it, put a button from another cap in, and the car fired right up and drives like it usually does. Probably been running on 3 cylinders since I've owned it.

Ahem Dave I need my new motor  ;D

MiniDave

Ahem...it's been done for months, just need to start it and run it in.....and come get it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I can get it whenever.  Might shoot for the end of the month.

MiniDave

If you mean the 31st I'll be home, if you mean the weekend before I'll be out of town (26-30).....but that's fine with me. Remind me to send Mark's coilovers down with you......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Other notable problem found was on the dizzy, the vacuum diaphram if you've ever taken one apart has a rod that runs down through the dizzy body with a nut on the opposite end that's threaded. Along side this is a spring looking piece that hooks to the inner workings of the dizzy.  When you adjust the nut it retards or advances the dizzy.  Suck on the vacuum port and you note the same movement. Anyhow the rod on mine had come loose from the top part of the assembly, essentially retarding the timing significantly. Explains the backfiring through the carb.  It was easy to fix.  I found a new dizzy cap locally (see mini compatible parts thread) and I'm back on the road running 3 cylinders strong.

BruceK

Glad to hear your are back on the road even if your 998 engine is just a 749 engine.

I wonder if it is valves, seats, or rings or a combination of all three things that have failed on number three.  Technically, I suppose a hole in the piston could also be in the running. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Burned valve is the usual culprit.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah probably a valve. It actually makes about 20psi.  We'll know soon enough once I yank it out.

Bahowe1

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but you seem to take it well!  I will say, the exact thing happened to me a few years back on my mini and that was the first time I realized I had been running on 3 for as long as I had owned it. Mine was burned valve and once I got 4, it was a very fun car.

94touring

I do have a spare head I could slap on, but not really worth the hassle since the new motor will go in soon enough. Till then it still serves as my airport car lol.