image upload option trial thread

Started by 94touring, May 03, 2016, 07:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

This rotation deal with images is annoying and the one mod for auto rotating images requires certain criteria which my phone apparently doesn't meet.  I use an app on my phone to rotate.  Anyways I'm trying out a 2nd option to upload  images.  The old method is still available.  You'll see "add image to post" which is what I'm testing out.  It appears to rotate my pics.  Give it a try, tell me what you think.  I'm uploading two sets of the same pics to compare results.

94touring

It adds these <br/> tags.  Haven't figured out how to make them go away but you can delete them or just leave them there.

<br /><br />

94touring

One thing about this I don't like are the images go off to a 3rd party server.  Which means eventually these pics will probably be lost in space.  Anything uploaded the old way stays on our server and won't be lost.  Then of course we have the media gallery to upload all you want and link photos manually.

MPlayle

I'm not sure I care for the "third party server" aspect of that new utility.

For the pictures in my "carb conversion" thread, I have been uploading to the media gallery and then using the 'direct link' address in the posts (link value inserted between the 'img' tags).

It seems to work well for me, but I am using a digital camera and not my phone when I take the source pictures.

94touring

Back when I used my digital camera I'd mass upload to the gallery.  Works great for that.  These days I'm pretty much strictly on my phone.  There might be a way for me to rewrite the code so it sends the files to our server. 

John Gervais

I'll try both methods:

<br /><br />

Yep - the 'new' way has the <br/>
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I'll probably leave it installed to help with the pic rotation issue.  It's easy to use and easy to remove those tags.  Both upload options will be available.

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I think you did it the old way Jim.

Jims5543

Nope I am uploading through your forum.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

You're clicking on "add image to post"?

Jims5543

No sweetie.. I am attaching a file.  Is that wrong?

Jims5543

<br /><br />

Add image is a PITA on an PC, will see how it works on my phone tomorrow..... I am off to the showers and bed in a few, long uking day....

94touring

Maybe it's easier from a phone.  Works with an ipad well too. 

Jims5543

It seems the difference between add image and attachements is the add image makes it a clickable link (on a PC) and attaching it embeds it in the post.

In both cases it is being hosted on your server, I just checked again and they uploaded to your server.

I will desist from using photobucket from now on.

94touring

Well this new method puts a clickable thumbnail down but the picture does reside at a 3rd party server.  There just aren't any other options available, though I might pay money for smf gallery pro which will let me ttransfer the current avea gallery photos over to it.  Whether or not the pro version offers an easier way to attach photos is unknown. I do know that I need to make the switch at some point.  I really just want smf to attach photos right side up!   

LilDrunkenSmurf

You're far more forgiving than other forums I frequent. Another SMF forum I'm on (that's also free, and ad-free), has opted to not host files, other than documents (for logs in CSV format), and opts to instead have the users host their pictures elsewhere (such as flickr or imgur).

94touring

It's easy for me to do when it's primarily free to do!  I pay for a hosting package but we'll never use up all that bandwidth with pictures, especially when I have it built in to resize them.  It's 50 bucks for this other gallery but probably worth it considering the current gallery has been out of production/support for a few years.  I could go with the free version but don't mind paying for a supior product.  At the end of the day I want this to be a great place for all my members.  Plus you guys donate more money than I ever expect so it's only fair.