MTTS 2016

Started by Willie_B, October 30, 2015, 08:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Looks like next years Mini Take The States will start in Atlanta Georgia. How cool is that. I was hoping to do a few days so this makes it a can't miss drive for me. With a stop at Road Atlanta with supposed hot laps, with me left in the dust on the back straight. Looks like it is going to head up to Richmond Va, Baltimore then up into Mich and cross country to end at Palm Springs Ca.

MiniDave

I hadn't seen the whole route yet, I just knew it started in Atlanta and ended in Palm Springs...where is the route posted?

I'm making plans to go to my old home town in June for MMW - Sandy Eggo here I come!

Like Willie B's trip to MMW last summer, I'll be going thru the hottest parts of the country mid summer - I'll be stopping in Phoenix to see my son/grandkids......time to get building my cool seat!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The complete route is not posted. They have been posting hints of places on the route and that is how folks know where it will pass.

Dmulder

"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Willie_B

Quote from: Dmulder on November 04, 2015, 12:04:27 PM
Where in Michigan?
It has not been posted the total route yet.

Dmulder

I don't see where any of the route has been posted. But you mentioned clues. Where are you finding these clues?
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

Willie_B

The info is on the MTTS facebook page.

Willie_B

Route just got released. I will only do the first day from Atlanta to Charlotte.

Willie_B

Had a fun day on the drive from Atlanta to Charlotte. I think I was the only classic mini on the first day. I saw three more at the morning meet up in Charlotte. The neat thing at Charlotte is the person in charge of directing the cars in the rows had the classic minis start a new row so we would be in the very front of the line for all to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG0EV81dEv8&feature=youtu.be

This was done on the first day. Looks like my car got a little air time. Be sure to watch all the way to the very end.

MiniDave

Yep, you're in there twice, at the end and at about 4 min!

Love the tail!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Mudhen

MiniDave

Justin and Buzz left Kilgore this morning early and by afternoon had made it all the way to Oxford, Miss. but they carried on all the way to Metropolis. Il where they stopped for the night - 750 miles in one day with no issues. Well......one, he said towards the end of the day the clutch started acting up but after he let it rest a bit seems to be fine now..... maybe Buzz was just letting him know he was tired and ready to stop for the night!  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Good deal. He will be one of very few classic minis. He will get a lot of thumbs up. 4.gif

Jims5543

Freaking awesome you classic guys getting out there and showing the Maxi Coopers how big they really are, especially the latest versions. They seem to be the same size as my FJ Cruiser. Who would own a BMW mini anyway? Am I right? They are huuuuge.

Looking forward to more videos from that cat. That track run looked like fun!

Willie_B is the man out running his classic for a leg.

Good job!

(green text indicates sarcasm)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

OMG like totally huge I mean look at it must be bigger by almost inches, guys have to jack up their trucks like 6 inches just to see over the things and they have like no lines/resemblance to the original. And OMG that honda fit thing should be banned it's like this huge tank thing on the road I can't believe they allow a car bigger than the bini to even be built

MiniDave

I know, right??????

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

There have been Buzz sightings all over Facebook today!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: jeff10049 on July 13, 2016, 10:38:28 PM
OMG like totally huge I mean look at it must be bigger by almost inches, guys have to jack up their trucks like 6 inches just to see over the things and they have like no lines/resemblance to the original. And OMG that honda fit thing should be banned it's like this huge tank thing on the road I can't believe they allow a car bigger than the bini to even be built

Completely agree they are hideously large!  Who would want to drive one?

Well, I would....   ;D

Just picked up this 2005 JCW with 73K miles on it.  Needs some TLC, mostly maintenance stuff but runs like a top.  Loving the Enkei rims on it.

BUT, to be honest, I purposefully shopped for a R53 I am not too keen on the 2007 on up Minis. I especially do not like the newest offerings, not that there is anything wrong with owning one, just not my taste.  Sort of like how I love the Fiat 500 not so much the 500X. 

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

I'm OK with the R53 and R56 but not so much the F56.......they seem to have lost the plot with that one......

Congrats on the new ride!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I remember the R56 coming out and thinking what the hell is BMW thinking?  why are they making the Mini bigger?  Can't they follow the example of the classic and keep the outside dimensions the same.

I love seeing the 2002-2006 Minis on the road, they look so tiny and not too far off from the classics. What they are doing now?  Man, not interested at all.  As I said, I was shopping for a R53 JCW on purpose, I had one, loved it and missed it.  Now my wife already has forsaken the E30, she wants the Mini registered and insured tomorrow, which means the E30 is coming off the road for major renovations which I am not ready for.  So it is going to sit for while.

Back on topic in off topic, I hope to scoot to a leg of this event next year. It looks like a blast. May sneak up to Mini's on the Dragon next spring too.

MiniDave

MTTS is every other year, just FYI.....so not till 2018 after this one.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on July 14, 2016, 01:22:39 PM
MTTS is every other year, just FYI.....so not till 2018 after this one.

2 Years out? Even better. I may do whatever leg comes close to FloRida.

I just started following this Chiver on Instagram.  He is going the entire way in a interesting plasti dipped Coupe.

Seems he is trying to raise awareness for a cause, I am still trying to figure out what exactly that cause is. I might just be too busy and missed where he states it.

MiniDave

A KC MINI Club contingent is heading out this am to meet up with the Tour in Minneapolis tomorrow, I'm sure my FB page will have plenty of Buzz sightings on it tomorrow!

Today the VP of Mini USA asked for a ride in Buzz....

Jim, the MTTS in 2018 will probably start on the West coast and finish on the East, since they started south and east this year they may finish "north" next time, that's kinda been their pattern.....nothing will be announced tll late next summer at the earliest, maybe even after the first of the year in 2018.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Did he sue him after because it's a mini?   :-\

MiniDave

Nah, they embrace their past, they don't discriminate like many of the Mini folks do about the MINI.

The way the R53 folks complain about the R56 and F56 reminds me of when the 911 first came out, and it was even worse when the 924 and 928 hit the market...then you should have heard the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Porsche announced they were going to make a *gasp*.......... SUV!!!!!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad