New Restoration Project

Started by Mudhen, July 03, 2014, 01:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Making such quick work of the Mini I decided I better jump into something new...picking this up tomorrow:

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/4537889970.html

Going to be a sweet rig to throw a surfboard on and cruise the beach with in the summah!

(just kidding...didn't buy it but going to swing up and check it out - can't imagine there's anything left under it)

jedduh01

Thats pretty neat---

TO add to ideas--- Keep the patina. Dont worry about the bottom side- simply cut apart a pickup truck like an S10 or ranger and transfer that body right over.

Mudhen

That's a cool idea... 4.gif

I think my wife just added you to my ignore list... ;D

Mudhen

What about an Anglia, instead.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/4595086736.html

Seems like most of the parts are available out there, just a little more expensive than Mini stuff.  Not sure about the glass, though...probably made out of unobtanium...

Jims5543

I will now disregard any comments I saw from you regarding dementia.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on July 31, 2014, 01:22:20 PM
I will now disregard any comments I saw from you regarding dementia.

:D

Mudhen

Decided on the new project...

1987, broken timing belt (ie, needs cylinder head work), horrible paint, rotted rockers, crappy interior...but at least it doesn't have 400k miles on it!

restorationporsche.com site now!   4.gif

sparetimetoys

When you remove the cam towers be careful if they are like the 928 the bolts take an allen wrench and round out.  I had 2 do this on my 928 and it sucks big time..you will need a long carbide birr and steady nervs because you work through a small hole in the tower.  and watch out for the cam pucks they like to jump out when you arent looking. If your alt. is bad I have one laying around out there someplace ill cut you a deal on.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

Mudhen

Quote from: sparetimetoys on September 10, 2014, 10:50:41 AM
When you remove the cam towers be careful if they are like the 928 the bolts take an allen wrench and round out.  I had 2 do this on my 928 and it sucks big time..you will need a long carbide birr and steady nervs because you work through a small hole in the tower.  and watch out for the cam pucks they like to jump out when you arent looking. If your alt. is bad I have one laying around out there someplace ill cut you a deal on.

Quit pissing in my Cheerios!   :(

First let me google 'cam tower' and 'cam puck'.   8.gif

Thanks for the heads up, though - I just put you on speed dial for when we tear into it.

Pat

MtyMous

Excellent. I had an '88 944 Turbo. Loved it. Loads of fun. I felt like Jake Ryan from "Sixteen Candles"

sparetimetoys

Quote from: Mudhen on September 10, 2014, 11:21:37 AM
Quote from: sparetimetoys on September 10, 2014, 10:50:41 AM

Quit pissing in my Cheerios!   :(

First let me google 'cam tower' and 'cam puck'.   8.gif

Thanks for the heads up, though - I just put you on speed dial for when we tear into it.

Pat

The cam tower is the valve cover it holds the cam. The puck is what you shim to adjust the valves. I'll dig around for som of my old photos later.

Mudhen

Man, you weren't kidding...frickin' cam tower bolts... 11.gif

I had one lower that was a complete circle inside - drilled that one out.  But one inside wasn't rounded out - it was full of someone else's snapped off allen wrench!  No drilling that - so I cut a slit through the tower and through the head of the bolt.  Worked perfectly - will now just TIG the slit up and hopefully be good to go.

My question for the painters...I don't want to strip this thing down to bare metal...but I also don't want to do as cheesy of a job as the last guy did.  If I sand it down through the last guys paint down to the factory paint...that enough?  or down to the factory primer?

And once sanded - would I primer over it or go straight to paint?

Of course, that will be after a few small spots that need metal work...

94touring

Yes that's fine.  You just don't want 30 layers of paint on there. 

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on September 18, 2014, 06:06:31 AM
Yes that's fine.  You just don't want 30 layers of paint on there.

Cool, thanks Dan.  After the sanding do you need to put fresh primer down or can you just go straight to paint?

94touring

Same general color you can get away with no primer.   Multi colors or reds I'd primer for consistency.

Mudhen

What's the best way to prep it for the primer/paint???

Last week we heard that our hours have been cut at work (ditched my full time IT job a few months ago for a contract at a major bank - oops...might have been a REALLY bad idea) so thinking I may get a chance to put some quality hours in on this thing.  Of course, no hours = no money, but I think I can still afford some sandpaper...

My DA sucks so I used a Makita electric disc sander on the Mini - I liked it for really stripping it down to metal but even with 220 it seems like it's leaving deep ridges...how would you prep it for a quick paint job?  I don't want this to be another multi-year project.   50.gif

sparetimetoys

I use these kind of nylon cloth sanding discs that use Velcro to hook onto the foam pad on the grinder or da. They leave a real nice finish with 180 and almost polished with a 220. They don't plug up and last a long time.

Mudhen

Well, I gotta take back what I said about my DA...

Last time I used it it seemed like it wouldn't start, air would just blow out.  So I added a couple drops of oil into the air inlet - seemed to help it start, but then I got oil (or maybe water from the air?) spattering onto the panel.  Maybe oiling it is bad?

Anyway, yesterday I went out to mess around for a couple minutes before football practice and thought I'd give it a try again - wow!  80grit pad went right through the orange and no big gouges, etc that I was getting with the Makita.  Did the door in 10 minutes.

That rocker was done with my hands...lol.  There was a little bump out so I pulled on it - then went down the length of it opening it up.  There must be 5lbs of dirt!

What's the best way to get the fixed side windows out?  I removed a little press-in strip - should they now just push out from the inside-out?

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998