Everyone must really be busy...

Started by BruceK, July 14, 2018, 07:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

He's coming home!   77.gif

Bruce has a MINI, a Mini and a Bonney.

I have a MINI, a Mini, a Mini and a Jaggy.... (and an Audi, to keep the "E" thing going)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniGene

Quote from: BruceK on July 15, 2018, 10:19:05 AM
So you've got a Mini, a MINI, and a Bonneville? 

What excellent choices!   ;D

Yup!! Great minds must think alike!!

The lame part is that I'll have to sell the Mini when we get stateside.  It's not old enough to be California legal and we're headed to San Diego.  I picked it up in a trade, put about £1000 into it, and the US gub'ment is shipping it back to the US for me, so why not bring another Mini into America?

MiniGene

Quote from: ve9aa on July 15, 2018, 11:37:05 AM
I missed the mark.. :-[  I have a Mini, a MINI and a Harley ! (Oh Mike, where did you go wrong? LOL), though in fairness, I did look at Triumph's and Royal Enfields before the Harley purchase.  I still am maybe interested in getting an old Triumph or Royal Enfield....someday!

Why are you shipping your Bonneville overseas?

It's okay, Mike.  Nobody's perfect! Haha JK  I knew you had a Mini and a MINI, but didn't know you had a Harley.  Let's see some pics!

I'm shipping the Bonneville back to the USA.  I brought it to the UK when the USAF sent m and my family here 4.5 years ago.  Now it's time to go home and it's coming back with us.  I did buy a 1984 BMW R45 ex police bike from a dude in Newcastle two years ago.  I had to sell that one here in the UK because California won't register gray market bikes.  The R45 was never built for the US market.  Here's a pic of it loaded up headed for its new home:

MiniGene

Quote from: MiniDave on July 15, 2018, 12:06:48 PM
I have a MINI, a Mini, a Mini and a Jaggy.... (and an Audi, to keep the "E" thing going)

Sweet! What sort of Jag do you have?

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Got back into town yesterday afternoon.  Our upstairs in the house is being remodeled and was suppose to be finished by time we got home. It was not.  So it was to the shop apartment to setup camp till Thursday (I bet longer).  Jen and I spent a few hours getting it back up to living standards.  Amazing how filthy I let it get, and spiders, spiders everywhere.  Cobwebs all over.  I probably need to look into some kind of bug bomb to keep things bug free while I'm not there.  Since the main house remodel will be done, we're thinking about sprucing up the shop apartment a little next. 

John Gervais

Interesting thread -

Hyacinth wants to re-organize the kitchen, and guess who's on vacation for the next three weeks - Hyacinth.  I can't understand 'why' - everything works and the pots, pans and cookbooks all have their places.  She wants to 'mess everything up' simply because she wants to sit at the small table (with me, though I've never sat there and had a cup of coffee) and sip a cup of coffee.  Unbelievable - though we really should paint and hang new curtains...

Good luck, MiniGene with importing the mini and re-settling.  That's a project I'm not looking forward to when I eventually move back to the States - and probably why I'm still here.  It all seems quite confusing, and regulations are seemingly nebulous and change all the time.  I've had the mini for 20 years, working on it and building it; I can't sell it, I'm more than emotionally attached.  I regret installing disk brakes, the 998 and all the other stuff; probably should have kept the original 850 and drum brakes.  I couldn't face it being seized and crushed.  Who knows what the rules will be when we do decide to move.

I've got a mini and a bicycle; Hyacinth has a Yaris.

- Pave the Bay -

gr8kornholio

Today was back to school shopping.  Mid August will be here real soon.

Currently we have a yota, yota, camaro, bug and a mini, in pieces.  The camaro was to be a yota, but you can only take so much bs from a dealership before you give up.  I know, 5 cars for a 2 car garage and 2 drivers.  Glad the house came with the carport.  And yes we have a car problem.  my 85 yota pickup will probably go once the mini is back and running.  Nice having 3 operational vehicles.  Of course once the mini is done I have to start on the bug.  Projects 4 life  77.gif

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: John Gervais on July 15, 2018, 03:16:17 PM

Good luck, MiniGene with importing the mini and re-settling.  That's a project I'm not looking forward to when I eventually move back to the States - and probably why I'm still here.  It all seems quite confusing, and regulations are seemingly nebulous and change all the time.  I've had the mini for 20 years, working on it and building it; I can't sell it, I'm more than emotionally attached.  I regret installing disk brakes, the 998 and all the other stuff; probably should have kept the original 850 and drum brakes.  I couldn't face it being seized and crushed.  Who knows what the rules will be when we do decide to move.

John, as long as you are not moving to California with its stupidly rigid registration and smog rules, then you have no worries about importing your Mini to any of the other states in the US.  The car just needs to be 25 or more years old and (technically speaking) still have an A-series engine that is 21 or more years old for the EPA portion of the import process.   It doesn't matter what engine displacement is or whether you have drums or disc brakes.   It's a simple process to import old Minis as long as they are not a re-VIN. 

True, we don't know what future import rules will be, but there are rumors of the 25 year rule being changed to align with Canada's 15 year rule.  If true, that would be great.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

John Gervais

Quote from: BruceK on July 15, 2018, 06:06:25 PM

John, as long as you are not moving to California with its stupidly rigid registration and smog rules, then you have no worries about importing your Mini to any of the other states in the US.  The car just needs to be 25 or more years old and (technically speaking) still have an A-series engine that is 21 or more years old for the EPA portion of the import process.   It doesn't matter what engine displacement is or whether you have drums or disc brakes.   It's a simple process to import old Minis as long as they are not a re-VIN. 

True, we don't know what future import rules will be, but there are rumors of the 25 year rule being changed to align with Canada's 15 year rule.  If true, that would be great.

I'd NEVER move to California - it's been ruined by too many 'Californians'.  MAGA!
- Pave the Bay -

gr8kornholio

Then don't move to Texafornia. It's getting bad here.  See it cause I lived it for 18 months.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

Bug bombs ordered.  Remodel way over budget...anyone needing a car painted once I knock Mark's car out?

gr8kornholio

We have a VW bug that needs stripped and painted.  Big dent above the rear window too.  Feel like venturing out?

94touring

ve9aa

I need a batwing fairing painted for my Harley !  It's black (they all come that way_) and I need it Sierra Sunglow (red).....shipping to the States might kill the deal.

Can you drive to New Brunswick?  I'll supply the home brew beer !
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

94touring

94touring

Bug bombs came in.  Spent THE DAY cleaning the shop.  Even hosed it out and pressure washed the front deck.  House remodel is 90% done and barely livable.  Tomorrow need to hit up the paint store and fix up my mini where it needed extra attention.  Also had a fuse go bad in the shop and spent some time tracing which one it was.

John Gervais

If you ever want to argue with the wife, try a simple reorganization/light renovation of your kitchen.  I haven't had the balls to ask what she's considering for curtains yet, still trying to preserve my pantry and our otherwise sensible, time-proven, functional cabinets. 

We will be painting 2 walls, possibly 3, but no decision from her on the color.  I managed to maintain white trim around the windows, though it might change to light friggin' grey if she insists.  Ordered a killer pot rack shelf w/hooks and a utensil bar (from 'Enclume') for mounting on the wall above the café table and a pair of woven bran-flake organic pond-weed baskets for paper towel storage. 

Longest week in history ...
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Oh I did the kitchen myself this past year.  Came out killer and didn't cost a fortune.  The upstairs turned into a real mess with the contractors.  I just don't have enough time to do it myself.

John Gervais

You're welcome to visit -

We're not hiring anybody, nor are we changing cupboards or flooring.

In fact, this is just a simple matter of repainting, hanging curtains and replacing a perfectly good, fully-functional free-standing cabinet full of pots & pans, porcelain lasagna pans, plastic storage containers, cookbooks and assorted muffin/cake/beignet 'tools'.

Because it does the job, it takes space away from 'sitting at the table' - apparently can't have that.  So, I'm willing to compromise, as long as everything has a place - as it does now - all in an effort to improve 'æstetics' and provide an opportunity for us to both sit at the small kitchen table and (apparently) gaze into each others eyes.   ::)   
- Pave the Bay -

joakwin

I ended up going to San Diego for a bit, and then I got this drill bit tool in the mail the other day, and my new fans came in for my Honda Element, my a/c fan still worked but the radiator fan went out, running a single fan was ok but the a/c wasn't as cold as it should be
so I replaced the two fans while I had it apart

my kids went back to school and I have to help them with homework, so that takes up most of my time

I built one of the aluminum tow hooks for my mini, still need to build the brackets to mount it to the mini, should have the mount done this weekend

D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on July 14, 2018, 07:10:50 AM
...out having fun or doing stuff.  Because it's been like 38 hours since the last post on this site.

Me? I'm at the dog park.   Earlier I got up at dawn and went for a two hour motorcycle ride out in the country.  And later on, before it gets unbearably hot, I'm going to flush my Mini's cooling system and trial fit a new Chinese aluminum radiator.

Back to working 70 hour weeks again. Ran away for two short trips this July. One to the Keys using July 4th weekend for cover. The other last weekend, I am paying dearly now.

My bigger builder shifted into overdrive, they are buying up lots and subdivisions at a pace I have never seen them run before.

All my small builders are getting too big for me to keep up.

And despite the interest rate hikes, home sales are on fire here, all my Title Companies are running at a frantic pace.  It feels like 2005 all over again.

I have a list of projects both for the house and cars that I never ever seem to be able to get to.

Putting family time first, puts all those things to the back burner, especially the car stuff.

I need to stop looking here and get back to work so I can be in bed before midnight.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson