What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Riley

Quote from: MiniDave on December 12, 2020, 02:53:36 PM
That looks like pretty small rebar - did you heat it to bend it?
Yeah, it's the little 3/8" stuff. It didn't need any heat. I just clamped it in the vise and beat into submission with a hammer. The hardest part was getting it to bend at 90 degrees to the seam so it would have a consistent face to grind flat on the back. I ground off the seam and notched it with a file where I wanted it to bend before whacking it with the hammer. Took a couple of tries to get it right.

jeff10049

I can't see any pictures of the buckle is it just me?

94touring

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Willie_B

While the engine is still out I replaced the wiper system. Cleaned and regreased the wiper motor a while back. I did the system then but have not been happy with how it has not been going smoothly. It is all 45 years old so time for new stuff. Have to cut the drive cable as it is WAY too long. Then decide what to lube it with. I used general purpose grease last time and I think it is too thick.

The engine should be ready for me to pick it up at the trucking terminal on Monday the 21st.

jeff10049

Quote from: Willie_B on December 20, 2020, 11:47:55 AM
While the engine is still out I replaced the wiper system. Cleaned and regreased the wiper motor a while back. I did the system then but have not been happy with how it has not been going smoothly. It is all 45 years old so time for new stuff. Have to cut the drive cable as it is WAY too long. Then decide what to lube it with. I used general purpose grease last time and I think it is too thick.

The engine should be ready for me to pick it up at the trucking terminal on Monday the 21st.

I used cv joint grease in my 60 wiper system still working great even when really cold.

MiniDave

I find those wheelboxes get stiff over time - sometimes you can free them up with some penetrating spray, but it's probably a short lived repair.

I use red axle grease to lube the cables, seems to work even in the cold - tho I have to say I really don't use them often in really cold weather.

Good to get some of these sub-systems working well for the coming driving season.

did you have to grind the tab off that little fitting that goes in the end of the wiper motor?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on December 20, 2020, 01:48:41 PM

did you have to grind the tab off that little fitting that goes in the end of the wiper motor?

The new one looks just like the old one. The wiper motor is completely apart and soaking in cleaner so I have not tried to fit it yet. You know how I am. If it is out I will take it apart to clean and make it look nice.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Certainly the time to do it.  I cleaned and regreased mine when I had the car apart. I just used regular bearing grease. Seems to be fine.

tsumini

I find that old grease turns waxy and doesn't lube well.

tsumini

Thought i posted some pictures about repairing  a grande piano but don't see the post. Tried posting four times on facebook but they never showed up so I gave up posting.

94touring

Quote from: tsumini on December 21, 2020, 10:33:22 PM
Thought i posted some pictures about repairing  a grande piano but don't see the post. Tried posting four times on facebook but they never showed up so I gave up posting.

Is it giving you an error?

MPlayle

I noticed a long while back that the SMF forums will not show a post that is just pictures.  You have to start with at least some text, then the post will show up.

Without any text, it would appear to work (no error), but the post would not show up.

Could that have been the problem?

MiniDave

I hung the 998 Automatic off the engine hoist in the driveway, fired up the pressure washer and gave it (and my self) a good blasting.... but first I sprayed it down with some engine degreaser - which stinks even now after washing it off thoroughly. The whole garage smells of this stuff even tho I washed it outside and blew it off with air before bringing it back in.... I don't think I'll ever be tempted to use it again. It was the Autozone house brand engine degreaser.....nasty smelling stuff tho it seemed to work pretty good.

This poor 998 had been sitting on a dirt floor for 10 years or so? Anyway, the bottom was caked in mud and the upper parts were grease infested, I think it came out pretty good actually, I didn't get every spot of dirt off of it, but it's WAY better than it was!.

Next I need to strip the trans off the engine and box it up to ship to Boot2Bonnet for a rebuild.

I have a small pallet the YRC driver gave me when he picked up WillieB's engine the other day, but I'll need to go down to HD and get a 2X4 and some 3/4" plywood to make up the box.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Quote from: 94touring on December 21, 2020, 10:37:25 PM
Quote from: tsumini on December 21, 2020, 10:33:22 PM

Is it giving you an error?
No error it just didn't show up. I'm thinking now that my keyboard suddenly shifts back a few words so I end up with misplaced text. I have had a couple of instances of disappearing text like I selected all and hit delete. I'll try to repost when I finish the job.

Red Riley

I wanted a tongue jack for my little half-Elf trailer. I did some google searching and found this universal swing arm mount moped kickstand.
I made a couple of little mods to it and bolted it on. Works great.

Willie_B

Great idea and follow through. The extra foot area tucks nicely out of the way when up.

MPlayle

I finally found some ambition to go out to the garages and do some needed maintenance on Ms. Ruby.

I replaced all the tail light bulbs and front turn signal bulbs with LED replacements.  I cleaned the tail light housings and lenses while at it.  The flasher for the hazards works fine with the new LED bulbs, but I need a different one for the turn signals.

I also greased the rear suspension, replaced the fuel filler to body seal, and replaced the rear windscreen seal.

Next up is getting a replacement flasher relay for the turn signals, greasing the front suspension, and an oil/filter change.

BruceK

Are you happy with the brightness of the new LED lights? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

They are definitely brighter than what I started with.  I did one side then compared the amber of the hazards and the red of the running lights between the old and new.  The only comparison I could not do was the differences in running versus brake lights.  (It is hard to see the tail lights at the same time as stepping on the brake pedal.)

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Well, after you and two others commented on my "dim" tail lights on the last group drive ...

It was time to step up and make the change.

MPlayle

After two trips to the parts store, a few hours of totally dismantling the dash, and lots of contortions later, I have the new LED turn signals all properly working.

The first parts trip was to get a 3-prong LED compatible flasher per the nearest wiring diagram for a RSP Cooper.

Then after the first round of contortions and total dash disassembly, I finally found the turn signal flasher in a bracket hidden behind the instrument cluster and it turned out to be another 2-prong unit.

Second trip to swap the 3-prong for a LED compatible 2-prong unit.

Got it swapped and tested as working nicely, then another round of contortions to put the dash all back together.