What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ve9aa

OoOOooooo - niiice!  Where did you get it? (can you say?)

(probably not available in Canada, but I have to ask)

Tnx
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

MiniDave

It came from Harbor freight - I don't think they have HF in Canada, but maybe Princess Auto has something similar?

Edit: Yes they do, exact same thing just looking at it, but holy crap what a difference in price! 3 times as much.....

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-000-lb-hydraulic-rapidlift-table/A-p8662280e

Edit 2: the Canadian one lifts higher than mine and weighs more.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

A big difference between the HF on and the Princess Auto one: the HF one lifts 11" to 34.5", the PA one lifts 15.25" to 54.5" - a whole 20" higher!

MiniDave

Yes, they have smaller models too, rated at 500 or 330lbs.

HF also had the lighter rated version but it only goes up 27" which isn't high enough to get things onto my bench

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Nice,

We had some idiots rent the building behind our business years ago shortly after moving in they got kicked out. They started piling all their shit outside the shop before it got locked in one of those carts rolled down the parking lot and stopped against my truck bumper leaving a small dent. The cart was promptly wheeled into my shop and put to use I can't believe how handy that thing is I have since bought a second one.

gr8kornholio

That lift cart is pretty epic.  Will definitely keep in mind if I ever need something like that.  Did some more wire routing on the mini.  Added more little things to my shopping list. 

Also had to tear down the transmission on my rc truck.  Shredded one of the gears.  It's a little ridiculous. The gear on the motor is metal which turns a plastic gear then on the inside of the case there is a metal gear on the same shaft as the big plastic one.  That metal gear turns a plastic one, this is the one that shredded, and it turns the plastic diff.  Good news is it's all current stuff and they have metal upgrades.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

ve9aa

Quote from: MiniDave on November 07, 2020, 06:11:55 PM
It came from Harbor freight - I don't think they have HF in Canada, but maybe Princess Auto has something similar?

Edit: Yes they do, exact same thing just looking at it, but holy crap what a difference in price! 3 times as much.....

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-000-lb-hydraulic-rapidlift-table/A-p8662280e

Edit 2: the Canadian one lifts higher than mine and weighs more.

Sometimes it REALLY sucks to live in Canada........we get robbed and raked over the coals constantly.

Not only that, I pay another 15% tax on most items.

and it'll be snowing in a few weeks (and staying).  Already had a white lawn a few times.

(and for thread content)---Had to park my 'bike (HD) today way deep in the 1-car garage and put the snowblowers closer to the door, effectively blocking it in.

SUX !

;-) (lol)

Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

94touring

Work kept me at work a couple extra days this week to sit here on call to never be called.  Money I guess.  Here's the list that awaits me when I get to the shop.

60 mini roof inspection to see if my worker got all the low spots sanded flush
60 mini door skin installation and boot floor removal
68 pickup door skin installations and weld up front end metal where adjustments were made
Automatic engine and subframe pulled in the shop to remove engine
Load automatic engine, 1275 engine, and 67 Cooper S onto trailer and haul to Dave's
Green mini shell for guy in Colorado A panel and door skin installation
Proper sized J tubes on VW installation
Auxiliary fuse box installation
Wire up wideband, tach, cylinder head temp gauges
Install new plugs and wires
Remove rear axles and replace torn boots
17mm Allen came in to remove tranny plug to drain and replace gear oil
Install new headlamps and look into high beam relay that's been acting up
Install universal radio blank pocket in dash
Replace melted fuel filter and rearrange things to stay off heat riser
Install new starter on my mini

Lone Star Mini

Have borrowed a blast media booth from a friend.  I LOVE cleaning parts as it's therapeutic..     Cleaned loads of parts including the brand new ones from Mini Spares that came with loads of rust (they gave me my money back).  I'm going to have to get a media blast cabinet.. love it...
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

gr8kornholio

Agree on the therapy.  I love taking these crusty parts and using the wire wheel on my bench grinder to get them all cleaned up.  It does have its limits though and would love to have a cabinet.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

cstudep

Quote from: 94touring on November 07, 2020, 11:51:51 PM

68 pickup door skin installations and weld up front end metal where adjustments were made
Load automatic engine, 1275 engine, and 67 Cooper S onto trailer and haul to Dave's

Is the automatic engine from the 68 pickup? Happen to have a picture of the shifter for the automatic minis? I have a 1275 automatic motor sitting here and came across some shifter/linkage parts. I am not sure if it was all from a Mini or perhaps something else. I have been going through some of the old junk I have and setting stuff aside to toss out that I think is mostly useless like some of the old smog related stuff that I think was probably on this automatic engine. I don't want to toss something if it might be useful to someone else though.

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on November 08, 2020, 04:32:33 PM
Quote from: 94touring on November 07, 2020, 11:51:51 PM

Is the automatic engine from the 68 pickup? Happen to have a picture of the shifter for the automatic minis? I have a 1275 automatic motor sitting here and came across some shifter/linkage parts. I am not sure if it was all from a Mini or perhaps something else. I have been going through some of the old junk I have and setting stuff aside to toss out that I think is mostly useless like some of the old smog related stuff that I think was probably on this automatic engine. I don't want to toss something if it might be useful to someone else though.

It's not from it but it's for it.  Still a couple days before I get out there to get pics.

cstudep

I believe this motor and the associated parts came from a Austin American with all the smog parts and the 12G1316 head casting. But some of the parts could be the same as mini parts I suppose. I have never seen a classic mini auto so it's all new to me.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: gr8kornholio on November 08, 2020, 02:15:49 PM
Agree on the therapy.  I love taking these crusty parts and using the wire wheel on my bench grinder to get them all cleaned up.  It does have its limits though and would love to have a cabinet.

Cleaning is fun to me with the satisfaction of a wonderfully 'new' part... 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

I'll try to get that shift pic today.  Was out there yesterday but had a million things to do.  Today I really need to organize and clean up the shop.  Shop helper will be out to work on things too.

Lone Star Mini

Mini Shop temporarily transformed back into a wood shop for home projects.. mini on rotisserie along with everything else covered in saw dust.  Have begun the cleanup process as well...   Although among the home projects, I managed to squeeze in a garage update by adding drawers..   each drawer will have a different mini bonnet badge as a pull knob.. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

cstudep

No hurry on the shifter pic, it's not exactly high priority or anything and I know you have a long list of to-do's.

Love the mini badge drawer pulls!

On my own list, I only have a few more items to source so I can start the build of a powder coating oven large enough to fit things like bumpers and mini subframes in. I have not attempted to powder coat something that large with as many nooks and crannies as a subframe so could be interesting. I have an old subframe that is too rusty to use that I plan to blast and then practice on before attempting it on a good one.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: cstudep on November 11, 2020, 07:13:37 AM
On my own list, I only have a few more items to source so I can start the build of a powder coating oven large enough to fit things like bumpers and mini subframes in. I have not attempted to powder coat something that large with as many nooks and crannies as a subframe so could be interesting. I have an old subframe that is too rusty to use that I plan to blast and then practice on before attempting it on a good one.

Now that would be a fabulous service to have available in your own shop...  this is something I need to learn more about although I do not have the room for something that large...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

cstudep

It is useful for sure, especially since the closest place to get it done to me is not all that close. I have mostly just used it for personal stuff and "friends and family" thus far. It's good practice that doesn't cost me anything since they pay for materials and if it's not perfect they don't complain LOL. Just like most things material prep is the key to success and by far the most time consuming part usually.

I just wish old stoves were as cheap as they once were. A guy used to be able to buy an old beat up stove for basically nothing. I need about 6 elements and the control panels from the stoves to be able to heat the size of oven I plan to build to the required temp. I also plan to be able to section it off somehow so that I can use just a part of it for smaller things and not have to heat the whole oven up unless I have to.

MiniDave

It's nice that you have enough room in your shop to be able to do something that large - and the amps of power to run it!

Reminds me of my friend Barry Wolk - he's 6'8" tall and built a blast cabinet that was 8 feet long so he could blast entire fenders in it!

Randy, when you're done with your rotisserie, you think you might sell it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: MiniDave on November 11, 2020, 08:18:45 AM....Reminds me of my friend Barry Wolk - he's 6'8" tall and built a blast cabinet that was 8 feet long so he could blast entire fenders in it!

Randy, when you're done with your rotisserie, you think you might sell it?

I have currently borrowed a friends media cabinet and I can't reach.. had to build a box to stand on and I still can't reach inside well.. it's big enough to hold a sub frame, but you still can't get the sides, top and bottom faces.. 

Dave:  Rotisserie...  I do have the concern of where to store the jig when not in use, but I was not planning on selling it given I have other mini projects in cue already.  Although depending on how long you think you might need it, I'm certainly open to you borrowing it.  At this point, I hope to have the shell complete within another year or so.  Then I won't need the rotisserie for a year or so after that...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

I just figured out another use for my hydraulic lift cart....I can slide it under a motor and drop the whole subframe and motor out together. Just raise the car up, roll the cart under, finish the disconnects, and lower the cart - motor and all, then wheel it out from under the car- safe and easy!

Dan I think you could use one of these under the cars you're working on - either to remove subframes or simply to raise and lower the car to a better working height. Might need to add a couple of bars to support the shell properly, but you can bolt those on.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

I think you may have just convinced me that I need one. Removing the sub frame is a bit of a hassle even without a motor attached.

After seeing how Dan does a lot of his work with the shell on small cart, having a similar setup that you can also raise up when needed seems like a great idea. Basically a lift like you have Dave that is then portable and can be rolled around. Maybe the base being so much smaller could be an issue with a shell on it as far as balance and what not but this has potential for sure.

MiniDave

Yeah, I'm thinking bolting a couple of pieces of square tubing on to go under to the other side would do it, since a bare shell is pretty light - 350lbs or so....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Hmm, maybe I need one  8.gif

Yesterday undid my AC wiring on the fuse panel and connected up the heat.  Was a brisk 37 out yesterday morning.  2nd shop job for the day was cleaning up tools I had scattered everywhere with the variety of bus jobs I've been doing.

Edit:  I've been in my shop 5 years this month!  Time sure has gone by fast.