What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

Thanks
Yeah it's built like a bull. A used seat like this will bring close to $1000.

94touring

Several new things at the shop.  I hired a guy!  Meanwhile I can play with my cars while I give him things to do.  One of the task was the neighbor shot a vermin that died in my side garage.  It began to smell so bad I couldn't breath without gagging.  Had my guy dig a hole and give a proper burial.  The smell still lingered out there and would work it's way into the shop.  I moved some cars around and set the side garage on fire, dirt floors of course. Some old engine oil, leaves, boards, and a little gasoline later the stench was gone. 

94touring

Justin came by to use my trailer to relocate his truck stored here to his new shop.  We just need to get an airplane in there.

My inline sander bit the dust this morning on the roof of a mini my shop employee has been working on.  New one ordered.  I did get several years worth of work out of it.

MPlayle

So, who is this new shop employee?  Do we get an introduction?

67.gif

gr8kornholio

Well at least the truck will feel at home sitting next to a mini shell.  Lol
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on October 15, 2020, 02:49:55 PM
So, who is this new shop employee?  Do we get an introduction?

67.gif

It's Skylars brother.  So far he's working out great.  Gave him a big list of projects while I'm out of town.  Including 4 doors to de skin for me to skin when I get back.

tsumini

Quote from: 94touring on October 15, 2020, 02:23:42 PM
Justin came by to use my trailer to relocate his truck stored here to his new shop.  We just need to get an airplane in there.

My inline sander bit the dust this morning on the roof of a mini my shop employee has been working on.  New one ordered.  I did get several years worth of work out of it.
I have a Ingersoll Rand 315G for sale $50 plus shipping. New is $100. If you can CXL your order or want spare or other readers want.
I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff (tools and parts) shortly when i  can get it together.

94touring

I might buy it anyways to have 2 running at the same time.  New one came in today.  Shoot me a message or email and I'll send some money.

pbraun

Looking good!  Today I moved around the moke and the bugeye, put the bug up on the lift to work on the rear brakes & diff.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

Today is shop cleanup and organize day - to make room for incoming projects and to get ready to be down for a while. I need to see if I can clear the benches once and for all, and get enough stuff up off the floor so I can walk around without tripping on stuff.

All the in process projects need to get boxed and labelled and stored where I have a snowball's chance of finding them again.

I spent 3 days looking for a set of alternator brackets for a friend of mine - only found them when I put this 1098 into the engine stand - guess where they were? In the box with all the stuff I use to put an engine in the stand - including putting an alternator on so it will drive the water pump. See? I do have an organized mind - just no memory!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Quote from: MiniDave on October 19, 2020, 08:47:14 AM
See? I do have an organized mind - just no memory!

Totally feel you on this one.  I've started laying out all the pieces around or in the car where they go.  And in doing so found 2 pieces I missed for powder coating.  Part of my column drop bracket and an alternator bracket still attached to the alternator.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Got a trench dug a week ago and a pipe for magic electrons to flow through sits down in it.  The contractor used a tracked excavator to dig the trench and it was pulling up large rocks and several boulders the size of a LazyBoy recliner!  Some rock was too big to lift out, and required almost a whole day of jackhammering to cut a trench. No way that could have been trenched with hand tools.  In fact, a rocksaw trencher would have made more sense considering the rocky soil - but it would have cost a lot more.

I've got a subpanel installed and I'm starting on the wiring for overhead lights and a series of outlets around the perimeter inside. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

Put you wall outlets up at good height so you don't need to bend over to reach. Another nice thing is a ceiling light fixture that is on all the time with a low wattage led bulb in it for a nite lite. It is nice to not walk into a dark shop.

MPlayle

Quote from: Willie_B on October 19, 2020, 05:16:34 PM
Put you wall outlets up at good height so you don't need to bend over to reach. Another nice thing is a ceiling light fixture that is on all the time with a low wattage led bulb in it for a nite lite. It is nice to not walk into a dark shop.

Or on a motion detector?

tsumini

I might be inclined to put another conduit in the trench for expansion (fiberoptics? etc).  220V service?

BruceK

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  Yes, I will put installing a lot of wall outlets -at least 9 or 10.  All of them about waist high (forgot the exact height measurement).  And I installed the switch for overhead lights right at the side door entrance - easy to reach out when you just walk in.  But like the idea of a nightlight.  The conduit is carrying 220V to the garage, so I have the opportunity to use 110V or 220V off of it.   As for fiber, fortunately the garage is within WiFi range of the house, so that should do the trick.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

I keep a light on at all times too off my gantry.  Keeps it from being pitch dark when I enter and leave, and I like to think any criminals thinking someone is in here working.

MiniDave

I have a fluorescent light in my shop that's been on non stop for close to 15 years now, it's turning them on and off that kills them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Pulled the engine/trans out of the mini over the weekend to send to MiniDave for a rebuild. Just finished making a crate to ship it. Left the top open till loaded to have access for the lift.

94touring

That's exciting. Dave's going to be one busy guy

MiniDave

It won't take too long to tear it down and evaluate what it needs, then while the head and block are off at the machine shop I can get parts ordered and go ahead with other projects.

WilieB says it's using oil, making not happy noises and the clutch isn't working right. I really appreciate both the shipping crate and how clean it is - saves a LOT of time not having to scrub 8000 layers of crud off before I can work on it.

First things first - figure out what's not right, then see what we have to do to correct that, then onward and upward. For sure some new seals, gaskets, bearings, rings, valve job and a new clutch. I hope whatever is making the unhappy noises is readily apparent when I tear it down - and that it's not too bad an issue to fix.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

My wife has been sprucing up the one side yard of our house that is unseen and been neglected for years.

Before, after and the actual shower, I taught myself how to sweat / solder pipes. I got pretty good towards the end, which I wish was sooner as some of my joints are ugly. but do not leak!!

We have a hot water on demand unit installed in the well shed I built. I need one more fitting and it is plumbed.  I need to buy some cedar to frame out the louvers and it is done.

I wish I never volunteered to build an outdoor shower. It was not cheap but will add a lot to the house in the long run. I cannot wait to use it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

ADRay

nice work! I tried my hand at sweating copper last year when I installed my water heater. It's actually kinda fun.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

MiniDave

I bought this....it's a 1000 lb capacity hydraulic lift table. I would have been happy with the 500lb version since the heaviest thing I lift is a Mini engine at about 350lbs, but it only went up 27", and this one goes up 34 1/2", which is high enough that I can slide something off it onto my workbench. Plus too and also, I think it goes high enough to slide something into or out of a pick up truck bed - maybe not one of the newest sky high versions, but most of them anyway.

It also can run things down to the end of the driveway and back up as I think the casters will go over the lip into my garage.

On top of that it works well as an adjustable height work table to strip down or build up engines.

I also folds down pretty small, the handle folds flat over the table when it's down.

As a back saver, I think it was $220 well spent - Harbor Freight has them on sale right now.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad