What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

We had a bit of heat last week, so over 100 in the garage.
A bottle of super glue decided to let loose. A few things are permanently attached now...

gr8kornholio

My shop continues to be the wife's craft room maintaining my rc truck.  After upgrading the motor/esc/battery it is crazy fast to what it used to be.  Even tweaked the gear ratio trying to lower the torque on it.  Took it to the local dirt bmx track that no one uses and thrashed all over the place.  So far damage has been: 2 half shafts, front wheel stud and a couple steering arm connectors.  Luckily parts are cheap and easy to replace but lately I can't drive this thing without breaking something.  Can't image the 60+ mph ones.  Mine may do 30. Maybe.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

jeff10049

Quote from: tmsmini on August 26, 2020, 10:39:39 AM
We had a bit of heat last week, so over 100 in the garage.
A bottle of super glue decided to let loose. A few things are permanently attached now...

Had a bottle of red loctite do that in my tool cart had to chisel a couple wrenches out of it and grind it off the cart.

MiniDave

Interesting. I thought Locktite was anaerobic and wouldn't cure in open air?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on August 30, 2020, 12:07:04 PM
Interesting. I thought Locktite was anaerobic and wouldn't cure in open air?

it is but went unnoticed for a while it was still sticky where it was not under a tool.

MPlayle

I "overhauled" the window mechanism of the driver's door on Miss Ruby.  It had been getting very stiff to roll the window up (remained easy to roll down).  It needed some lubrication of the riser tracks and the rubber window channel.

I had thought the winder mechanism was sticking and so took it all apart.  It turned out the work just fine.  Unfortunately, that let the riser tracks fall off the bottom of the glass when I greased them.  It made for a pain-in-the-a$$ to get it all back together.  It was during that process I discovered the vertical window channel rubber was where it was sticking.

The suction cups I got for doing the windshield came in handy while getting the door window all back together.

cstudep

I finished up some modifications to my sand blasting cabinet so that it hopefully works better and uses less media by basically recycling the same 2-3 cups through until you change it out. Hoping it works well with the various medias I use so that I do not have to use my pressure blaster, which works fine, but makes a heck of a mess outside the cabinet and burns through media pretty quickly.

I also found a way to turn one into a DIY wet blasting cabinet, which may be next on my list of things to do. I'd probably buy another cabinet so that I still have the dry one as well. I have seen aluminum motorcycle parts blasted in this manner that come out looking brand new with a little polishing.

MiniDave

Wet blasting def leaves a nicer finish.....I've used fine sand (not anymore) walnut shells and glass beads - the beads leave a nice finish but are a pain to clean up after in that they get embedded into the metal, especially aluminum. Walnut shells work pretty well but don't last, they're pretty much dust after the first or maybe second time thru the gun....and they do leave a lot of dust too. Garnet works well on cast iron and some sheet metal parts.

Here's a great thread on blast media on Garage Journal.... https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237844

Dan has a wet blaster he uses to remove paint on the cars he works on, works a treat but makes a huge mess!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

Thanks for the link, I will have to check it out.

I have used just about every media there is for various things and they all have their uses. I have had decent luck with soda as well although I have only ever used it in a pressure blaster. I am going to try it in my new setup to see if it will work or not, it's not a pressure set up, but it's also not really a "suction" setup either. I have built a metering valve at the bottom of the cabinet that introduces air at that location and creates a venturi effect as it necks down to the hose diameter. It's supposed to work really well, I will find out tomorrow once I get the gasket I need to seal the top of the cabinet which I also converted to open up so I can get larger/heavier items in and out easier.

I built the valve out of black iron pipe fittings so it was pretty cheap to give it a try, has to work better than the aggravating suction tube method, which just generally makes me angry. It it works ok with the cheap suction gun I may splurge for a better foot pedal operated gun. We shall see I guess.

jeff10049

my blast cabnit has a siphon tube that is a u-shape in the sand with the one end open to air the other to the gun and some holes in the bottom to take in sand. It never clogs i think it makes the venturi effect by having the one end open.

cstudep

Yeah mine is (was) the same, I actually made it out of some copper pipe and it works ok most of the time but not with soda. It also struggles some times with fine walnut media. The more humid it is the worse it works and summer around here is generally pretty bad. It works great with glass beads and the coal slag medias but those seem to be immune to the humidity for the most part as well.

94touring

Now that our 3 year long house remodeling is done, looking into doing up the shop apartment.  It's basically tiny house size of about 300 sq ft.  Some of you have seen it at the bbq.  Probably gut out all the cabinets and appliances the previous owner had in there and go at it.  Some ideas are using a tool cart for a bathroom sink and tall standing tool cabinet as a dresser.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Another day of organizing and cleaning.  Tossed out bags worth of trash and random car parts I'll never use. Have Mark in position to toss subframes on and an engine in.

MiniDave

Even with 4 Minis in there, there's still a lot of room!

Mark, I wasn't sure how your car was going to look in this color when you chose it, but I have to say it came out great! I really like it now that I see the whole car....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Plenty of room for the rx7 and bus or other mini.  Depending which one I alternate out at home.  Will be better once Mark is out and the truck too...but then Jim's truck will be living here.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yep.   Just clearing out the projects.

gr8kornholio

Thanks Dave I'm really pleased and very excited to see in person.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

G67mcs

The shop is looking good Dan. I've finished preserving my floor pans and moved onto rebuilding the remote shifter.

Garry
1967 MK2 S
2003 Mini Cooper S
2016 4Runner

Willie_B

Quote from: G67mcs on September 01, 2020, 11:46:07 AM
The shop is looking good Dan. I've finished preserving my floor pans and moved onto rebuilding the remote shifter.

Garry

Nippycars on Facebook just released new shifter for remote units. This is the chrome part that the shift knob goes on. No more loose rattly shafts.

John Gervais

Not having seen my garage or mini in around 2 months, I managed to get up there today and started working on a small shelf that Hyacinth wants for the roll-up guest cot that's currently bagged and standing in the bedroom.

https://skovshovedmobelfabrik.dk/produkt/ogk-savbriks/

https://houseofgefion.com/products/ogk-savbriks-natur

The plan is that the canvas bag will stand on the shelf and a leather strap will fix it to a wall-mounted brass double hook.
- Pave the Bay -

tsumini

I finished off refurbishing my John Deere 1010 tractor seat. It is called a Float Ride seat with rubber torsion spring for cushioning. All information I found was on a similar seat with two rubber torsion springs. Although similar in operation they are quite different on disassembly so had to muddle through taking it apart. It's held together with 5/8 in. dia shafts and roll pins. It was a PITA and cumbersome to work on and really heavy. Had it sand blasted by a guy about two miles away. He did a nice job but thought $100 was kinda high. Thes set bottom was cracked so butt welded it up and added a doubler to prevent any more cracking. Torsion spring was OK (replacement is $75). It's about the size of a mini suspension cone.
Now just need to install it (later to keep it out of the weather)

BruceK

That's a cool looking seat.  Sort of like a bucket seat.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad