What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Looks pretty sweet.  I've been refraining from doing this with my stereo setup I have waiting to go in the mini.  This quarantine crap may change that.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

As the former owner of an 850 Moke, I got a chuckle on the Warp Drive switch.  But I guess, technically speaking, when you throw that switch, the photons emitted from the headlights will be traveling at the speed of light.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

Quote from: BruceK on March 31, 2020, 01:09:58 PM
As the former owner of an 850 Moke, I got a chuckle on the Warp Drive switch.  But I guess, technically speaking, when you throw that switch, the photons emitted from the headlights will be traveling at the speed of light.

71.gif 4.gif

Willie_B

Saw this idea in an old magazine. I had to make then add the boot board. There are kits that have all the bits, even kits made for 165 size spares for that extra bit of height. Then add a vintage suitcase off ebay for 7 dollars. It will hold jack and tools and whatever. Just ordered two leather belts for hold down straps.

MiniDave

Is that some sort of insulation on the back of the seat wall?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Yes, it is stuck on the seatback and parcel shelf. It was there when I got the car. 1/2' thick with black plastic outer layer.

MiniDave

What do the bootboard bracket kits cost? Who has them?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

BruceK

Cool!  The vintage suitcase reminds me of the old suitcase that Justin has on the rack on top of Buzz during the Hill Country drives in 2017.  What was even cooler was that the suitcase was the one he used during his childhood.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

The lady it came from told me she kept her Barbie dolls in it. Still has a Barbie sticker on it, not for long though.

MiniDave

£30.50 for the kit, is that just the brackets? there wasn't much of a description on their website and no picture.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

It comes with all the brackets, rubber bumpers and rivets. Look at the kit for 145 tyres, it has a drawing of the bits.

MiniDave

OK. Did you attach yours with pop rivets or?

Besides firing up the new compressor I tidied up the garage today and started designing the brackets for the new seats for the green car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Yes, all the parts are installed using rivets. The only ones that show are on the lower lip of the boot opening. Was hard to drill thru that nice new paint.

jedduh01

1978 Mercedes 280 Se = Gas I6.... My aunt bought it used in 79' brought her son home in it +  i tooled around in it when I was young with my mom... Remembered the brown interior + HUGE inside space.
Over the years She drove it forever. kept it going and she was known around Mclean Northern Virgina with herself a Blonde driving "Blondie"

Late 2018 Blondie had some hiccups... wouldn't go.. slowed down.. SO my uncle took it out to ' Blow her out!... that didn't go well... Car LIMPED home...  Next day they set to go to the shop with it.   on its way there- it didnt make it = ultimate failure.. Tow to the shop. Shop gave her a 5000$ quote to fix it... I never saw the quote but it was too much / more than she was willing to spend on her... Sad.  (Northern Virginia Independent shop price). My aunt also couldn't  throw Blondie away.. so she sad in the garage. about 6 more months.  That next spring, my uncle visited in Charlotte and we were chatting about how Blondie needs to 'go' and my aunt already replaced her car with a NEW Mercedes....so  Blondie sitting wasn't doing anyone good. I said I was interested, but not interested in towing or pickup= = My uncle offered to deliver it to me... Can i say NO to a FREE CAR!   Aunt Carol was happy i would take her.. however i DID leave the disclaimer that this car MIGHT STILL go away...   He delivered it last spring to me.. I sent it to a friends garage for a place for a while.. That garage space ended.. it had to go to another lot ( under a cover ) sat for another 6 months...  Last week i had Blondie towed to the house... to get a real look at.
   She still started and moved under idle. but poorly = sounded HORRIBLE.  I thought BELTS or a pulley was letting go.so i removed all the belts.. STILL Loud.  Noise pointed to the Exhaust side.   Digging in = exhaust is blowing out from under the manifolds= and there is a VERY crunchy tube from the EGR side of things... ( no Airpump belt installed + its locked up ) so no worries about air pump/emissions controls.   well looks like the EGR is blown out= and needs 'closed up" 
  Opening is the size of a penny... with some scrap metal and a clamp  Thats blocked off now...  but now the car wont run.  or barely chugs..   Unblock it to test = Runs ..  Plug EGR  = wont run.. Clue the exhaust issue... Unbolt the down pipes from the manifolds ( easy 4 Bolts)    RUNS GREAT!   = Clogged Exhaust.   ok = someone in time has replaced the converter... a weld in..  Lets look at that..  Chop out=  EWW. Cant see thru the converter. One side is melty...  Chop it out..  plan to weld a pipe back in..EH why   Weld back in what was removed.=  Cored out the cat=  Welded back in = She Purr's like a kitten!

Well that turned into late that night.. Next day= test drives... SO far = 10 -15 miles.. no worries. eve at 70 on the interstate.
  Around the neighborhood... She purr's  - She has her quirks but she goes.. (kids like her huge backseat too). Wife strolled her around some too... Wants to do a few 'commutes with her' when we get back going to work.

100$ to basic insure with Hagerty...
  Need DMV to open to get a plate.
  Back seats are deteriorated (horse hair) working with an aphulster this week to put some of those back together.

Blondie will ride again.

Willie_B

Got the boot suitcase finished. Added rubber feet to side that is down to keep the leather sides from shredding on the rubber mat. Then cut a piece of 1/4" plywood for the inside, the feet are bolted thru this. Cut a few slots in the board to use hook/loop straps to securely tie the jack and large flashlight down. Other loose items like lug wrench and jack handle get strapped to the jack. Then the other stuff is fit in. Yes those are wiper blades in there. Ever try to find a pair in the boonies when they die? Add two leather belts to hold it in place. With the rubber feet and rubber mat it does not move.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

MiniDave

How will you flip it, end over or roll over Rover?   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I swapped the winter wheels/tires for the summer wheels/tires today, and swapped the cast rear drums for the summer super minifins.

Next up - try to find a quality thermostat. 
- Pave the Bay -

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on April 25, 2020, 03:50:54 PM
How will you flip it, end over or roll over Rover?   ;D

It is not attached so just sit it on its wheels then flip the shell. Probably have to set it down on its side to reposition the grip.

gr8kornholio

I was thinking totally different thing when I read roll cage. Lol
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 25, 2020, 06:41:55 PM
I was thinking totally different thing when I read roll cage. Lol

That was the point. Make you look and think to figure out my warped reasoning, and it's fun also.

tmsmini

I discovered this from the Woodie.
Hasn't been driven in weeks and Renee wanted to use for today's errands...
Coolant drips

94touring

Weep hole from the water pump perhaps?