What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Those cut off wheel ones suck it's a burn and cut all at the same time. Belt sander and wire wheel are no fun either.

tsumini

My son almost lost his thumb to a cutoff wheel. got a couple of tendons but he got lucky it wasn;t worse. Wasn't using the guard. Be careful.

jeff10049

I recently went through and found or bought guards for all the tools that might need them at times before my luck runs out.
My 4" grinder put your trigger fingers right above the spinning wheel without the guard. Not to bad with a flap disc but the cutoff wheel no thanks not anymore too many close calls.

MiniDave

I think I'll go ahead and put mine back on, I took it off to use a wire brush cause it hit, so did the flap disc.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

The AC in the E21 BMW ('81 320i) stopped working, well, it worked. The compressor would come on, except the HVAC fan inside would stop, then turn off the AC and the HVAC fan inside would work again. Obviously a relay issue. I could not find it at first, then some asking and research on the internets and I found it under the dash by the glove box.

Hmmm... this looks like a problem...

That toasty wire seemed to be the culprit. I decided to pull the relay and see if there was a part # on it and there was none. So I opened it up to see if there was anything that looked bad inside, it looked good....

I put some emery cloth between the contacts and cleaned them up, then put it back together. Soldered a new connector on the fried one in the first pic and hoped for the best. Success!! The AC functions as intended again.

I put about 200 miles on the old girl last weekend and I am itching to pull her out for some more driving this holiday weekend. 

I tucked her back away Sunday night and she waits until tomorrow.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Wonder what caused the connector to fail?

Not exactly in my garage, but just outside it......

We're about to get another cold snap so I took advantage of the warn-ish weather to get a few things done in preparation for winter.

I changed the oil and filter in the ZTR ($26 for an oil filter and three quarts of the cheapest 10W30 I could buy!) and charged the battery, cleaned the terminals and hauled it back out south to the property I keep it on, then covered it with a tarp.

Once I got back I checked all the fluids in the Audi, set the tire pressures and got it ready for our trip to Manhattan on Thursday.

I also set the tire pressures in the blue Clubby, and topped off the oil and checked all the other fluids.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Past week  - or two ...

New Brake shoes on my 850 Volvo = found a  stuck /rusted cable - stopped there...
Fixed a 'chunk clunk rattle on it too ( loose Poly Sub frame bushings)  replaced and QUIET.

Wifes bmw got front Pads and 2 control arms + State inspection

Kid Hauler Volvo SUV got brake lights bulb fixes + state inspection. + required 2 new tires.   im close to buying my own tire machine equipment.

Have  had a customers British car in = Mini = Technically its a 64 -  he's owned it since 68    its had a Miriad of changes.
  Australian door swap   Front sub frame swap including Metro Power plant. 1275 .
    Then wasnt used or ' finsihed" for the past 10 years. He came to the  resent CMU event and got the juices flowing =Brought it to me for a mostly complete mechanical rebuild. We have brought the car back to life.
  COMPLETE suspension rebuild = .   Carbs, All Fluids, Brakes (including removing metro double line calipers for Standard 8.5.s
   Everything has been touched, its nearing completion, test drives underway. Found an oil leak = front cover .to be expected with a sitting car.

My own = Moke = Lost second gear synchro this summer., no downshifts...   OK  I want that back .. Tore into it.   Engine has always run GREAT but oily stinky.. OIL Burner..   Time for a Bore and block refresh too.

Trans is done= Block headed to Machine shop ASAP!   -  going from standard 998 dished pistons = to a .040+ - Flat top  with a Evolution camshaft.. Will get a bit more pep

Previously mentioned my Mercedes =  Its 1978  Mercedes 280  - I- 6 Gas engine (upcoming project)
   Garage kept since 1980 she purchased like new.  ... its beige and brown and kinda boring but has family history . She couldn't fare to trash it for the cost of the Headgasket job when that failed last year, so i adopted it...    Now I have moved it twice to different storage locations, will be time to 'fix or forget about it.

MiniDave

Can you buy that gear new? When that surface comes off like they they're done....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Or you sleeve them with aluminum bronze like I did my car and we did something similar for that box Dave did but sleeved the ring not the cone.

MiniDave

It's a pre-A+ box, but I'm pretty sure that gear is still available, unlike the input shaft and 1st gear on a Bugeye transmission....

Yep, on sale right now for £63

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Gearbox/Helical%20gears/22G1094.aspx?1508&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/2nd%20gear.aspx|Back%20to%20search

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Willie_B

Measure I don't know how many times, cut once.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Next got to take it to a welder to fill holes. Then blast all the primer off. Seam seal all over. Then ready to go for paint. Time wise ???

MPlayle

I'm amazed they did not pre-cut that hole for you.  They did on mine.  They asked what type shifter I would be using when I ordered my shell.

MiniDave

Only one of a number of "wrong" things on this shell he's had to rectify.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Quote from: Willie_B on November 30, 2019, 04:00:45 PM
Next got to take it to a welder to fill holes. Then blast all the primer off. Seam seal all over. Then ready to go for paint. Time wise ???

Welder to fill the holes?   I see in your picture.  the floorboard holes have been touched with a grinder.  are you speaking to fill those holes.  If so , I would advise not to.  Just washing the car water will run down the sides and collect in floor,  those are the weep holes for floor water.
   Same even with a rainy wet shoe day,

Washing a Moke is fun = just get it ALL wet and let the water run out.

Willie_B

The holes that need filling are from the fact they sent a MK2 shell instead of a MK1. Wiper holes are wrong, bonnet mounts have to be moved, holes in top of right side pannier for who knows why. Using old bonnet and it has a few extra holes from past strap brackets. All the other holes had to be hit with a grinder to clean up the rough edges top and bottom.

94touring

Quote from: Willie_B on December 03, 2019, 02:15:10 PM
The holes that need filling are from the fact they sent a MK2 shell instead of a MK1. Wiper holes are wrong, bonnet mounts have to be moved, holes in top of right side pannier for who knows why. Using old bonnet and it has a few extra holes from past strap brackets. All the other holes had to be hit with a grinder to clean up the rough edges top and bottom.

Jeez that's a bummer.

MiniDave

I've been learning how to use my new label maker - Dymo 450 - to label the bins on my giant nut and bolt holder. so far so good....but still learning all the ins and outs of it.....sure are a lot easier to read than my scrawl on the little flat paper labels

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Looks great. Just don't let anyone else pick parts. They'll be mixed up in no time.

MiniDave

Notice some of the fasteners are silver and some are gold? The gold ones are grade 8, and are less expensive than the grade 5 silver ones!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Dave, do you have the label maker set up as a printer on your computer? Or are you typing on a little keyboard on the maker itself?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Software is on the computer - I type what I want then print it out. Look up Dymo 450.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

looks like a nice unit I may order one for the shop I have an older brother unit but you have to use the small keyboard on it. I also need a new heat shrink tube printer looks like dymo has those too.