Seafoam and Lucas are snake oil?

Started by Jims5543, April 18, 2020, 07:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

This guy disagrees, he confirms what I already knew.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

BruceK

He's got a good YouTube channel (Project Farm) that I watch often. Some of his testing seems very well thought out, such as oil comparison testing.  But he also does stupid stuff like "Will an engine run with honey as oil?". 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

That guy does some fun videos. He ran a wood cylinder head on an engine just to see how it did.

Seafoam is great stuff really really good injector cleaner use it in all my rigs.
Except I like to use the Lucas fuel system treatment in the 2013 mini as it's also a lubricant and the high-pressure fuel pump and direct injectors like that. However, it does not seem to be as good of a cleaner as sea foam.

Some people just don't get maintenance over the years I have replaced many engines due to melted/broken pistons due to partially blocked fuel injectors leaning a cylinder to failure.

Jims5543

I think his judgement on Lucas oil additive is wrong. While very thick, it stays on the bearings and coats the internals.

I use Lucas in ALL of my vehicles.  I swear by it.

A few months ago I purchased a couple of cans of Seafoam additive and a can of the intake cleaner spray, I need to find motivation and time to do it to my Tacoma which idles horridly.

I work too much and have many other projects around house that need addressing.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

Quote from: Jims5543 on April 19, 2020, 07:31:44 PM
I think his judgement on Lucas oil additive is wrong. While very thick, it stays on the bearings and coats the internals.

I use Lucas in ALL of my vehicles.  I swear by it.

A few months ago I purchased a couple of cans of Seafoam additive and a can of the intake cleaner spray, I need to find motivation and time to do it to my Tacoma which idles horridly.

I work too much and have many other projects around house that need addressing.

Toyota's respond really well to a good fuel injector and intake cleaning. To start with dump a full can in about a 1/4 tank of fuel and do the intake spray then let it sit over night and take it for a drive. Follow up with recommened doses in the fuel.