Stupid? Or Liar?

Started by BruceK, May 15, 2019, 11:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

This is one of the Minis for sale that I posted in the WTB a California Mini thread.   I am mentioning it here because of the sales pitch.   

Simple BS-ing to draw interest?  Or is it possible the seller actually believes it?

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/oxford-restored-1967-morris-mini-cooper/6869859318.html
1967 Mini cooper
fuel: gas
odometer: 15008
title status: missing
transmission: manual
Truly a car that has to be seen in person, I have a restored right hand drive 1967 Morris Mini Cooper that I drive almost daily (in the summer months, no salt for this car), and yes it's inspected. It has been restored, and although not mint it is in very, very good condition. The engine (1275cc) starts like a brand new car in any weather and runs flawless, the 4 speed transmission works as it should and has a synchronized 1st gear. It has a larger carburetor, with a carb spacer and a header, otherwise stock/original. Car handles like a dream on its hydrolastic suspension and is by far one of the funnest cars I have ever had. Cruises at 60 mph no problem with plenty of power to go, believe its top speed would be somewhere between 100-110, and it gets 60-70 mpg, cant beat it! Call or text anytime. show contact info . Car and truck trades only please.
Maine will not issue a title for a car older than 1995, the car will come with a bill of sale and current registration if needed.

Insurance company values the car over 20k, I will sell cash for 15,000.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Oh, maybe a little optimistic!

But a nice straight hydro car for $15K sounds like an OK deal to me.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I call BS, especially on the gas mileage.  Unless the final drive and speedometer drive are so far off as to be ridiculous, he should easily be able to measure a much more accurate MPG figure.

The top speed is a bit optimistic as well, but with minor mods/tuning could be achievable.  Although that top speed would definitely eliminate/negate the claimed MPG.

ve9aa

Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

MPlayle

He does say in the ad that Maine does not issue titles for cars older than 1995.  There are several states like that.  They issue transferable registrations for older cars instead of titles.

MPlayle

Texas is a title state.  I have registered and received titles on two Minis that came from states that do not give titles to older cars (New York and Alabama).  I had no problems when presenting the "Transferable Registration" and bill-of-sale.  I also made sure I had a printout of the state rules from New York and Alabama that said they do not provide titles for older cars.  I did not need to submit the printouts as both times, the tax/title clerks looked up the processing from those states and saw the same thing.  They verified the registration documents were correct and processed everything to provide a Texas title and registration.  Got the Texas documents in the mail about two weeks later.

MiniDave

Don got his Pup registered in Missouri with only a reg from Georgia. Kansas is no issue, they just have you go to the high patrol to verify the vin matches the paper work and you're good to go.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad