FExxxxxxx Shell Number?

Started by Lone Star Mini, August 19, 2018, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Star Mini

All,  I have an "FExxxxxxx" number plates spot welded on the inbd side of the inner wing (behind the radiator).  I'm having trouble finding out how to identify this or chase it back to anything.  Is there a website or decoder ring for this number?  I don't believe it has anything to do with engine type and I'm hoping it will tell me more about the shell.  Thanks in advance.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

It's a Front End number.   Used during production for inventory purpose or something.  I don't think there is any record keeping on them.   But perhaps someone more knowledgeable will correct me. 

If you want to know the real VIN of a later model Mini (e.g. on a Mini that has been "updated") there is a hidden VIN stamped in the drain channel of the scuttle panel.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

When (what year) did they start stamping the Vin under the lip of the scuttle? my 89 has it.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Dunno. My guess is the big update in 1984, the Mk V, with the change to 12" wheels and the 8.4" disc brakes etc.   My '88 has the VIN stamp.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

Thanks Bruce.... of all the work I've recently done, I've failed to look for the vin on the scuttle. Will do so when I get home tonight
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

You either have to use a mirror or turn the car over to see it, even then it's difficult. It's on the underside of the lip, just about where the right wiper hole is.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: MiniDave on August 20, 2018, 07:25:51 AM
..It's on the underside of the lip, just about where the right wiper hole is.....

Thanks Dave,  I'll start there.  Since the shell is on a spit, I shouldn't have too much of a challenge finding it
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

To be clear, this number on the scuttle should match the number on the plate attached elsewhere....
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

Let me put it this way: my car is a 1988 and it was imported as a 1988 car under the 25 year rule. On my car, the regular official VIN plate which is attached in the engine compartment on the right inner fender matches the hidden VIN stamped in the scuttle panel.  So yes, to answer your question, they should match up.  On some cars that may have been imported with creative means, they may not match.   In either case, the VIN will not tie into the FE number.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

Perfect, that is exactly what I expect to find.   I believe my must recent purchase will have different numbers with the scuttle most likely being correct.  As for my '82, I expect the numbers to match.  Thanks Bruce.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

I'm "Unlucky" as I have searched the bottom side of the scuttle and along the top of the bulkhead under the scuttle for any VIN numbers on a plate or stamped into the body.  There was nothing, but dirt....slightly disappointed. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

Maybe we should give you some better guidance on your search.  The VIN is stamped into the metal - no plate involved. It would be in the trough of the scuttle where the rear edge of the hood sits when closed.  Because that area can get a good deal of thick paint, or often has a foam pad to cushion the rear of the hood, the stamping is usually easier to see by the use a mirror from inside the engine compartment and looking up at the bottom of the trough in the scuttle to see the VIN stamping.   It is not always clear and may just be a faint impression in the metal.   If you run your hand along the bottom of the trough from underneath you may be able to feel the impressions of the VIN stamping. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

Thanks Bruce..  I turned car on it's side (rotisserie) and was able to get my big head in there easy enough.  Nothing...  perhaps somebody put on a new scuttle at some point.  Either way, I will attempt to clean off the rusted areas and paint to see if I can detect something tomorrow or later in the week.
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)