Grundy insurance

Started by 94touring, August 17, 2023, 07:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Apparently they are dropping me as a customer.  I tried to increase values and sent in pictures.  One of the pictures was of the bus pulling the mini.  Well, they didn't like that and won't renew.  Any recommendations?

94touring

Crisis averted.  Talked with American Collectors insurance. The guy was extremely friendly and we talked about cars for a solid 45 minutes.  His dad was even president to the Vespa club of America at one point. He was thrown off how Grundy dropped me without making any attempt to resolve the issue.  Their loss.  I won't be able to insure the bus with him either since I pull that trailer and vespa and use it for camping.  But otherwise I'm all setup and I upped my values a bit more as well.  About double what Grundy was, but after the crap conversation on the phone with them and how unwilling they were to work with me, fuck em.  I wouldn't want to deal with them on a claim that's for sure. 

MiniDave

Did you talk to Steve? I spoke to him a little while ago about coverage on the green car, they were competitive.....he also said he'd like to write my hot rod Mini when it gets on the road.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

From American Collectors?  I'm so bad with names I forgot already. He lives in Colorado if he told you that.

Brit_in_TX

I use American Collectors for both of mine.  They came out cheaper than a all the others I got quotes from, once I aligned the all of the values of the coverage.  Not sure about other states but the coverage minimums in Texas are really low, if an average family SUV got totaled, it would probably be more the insurance covers and then you are personally liable.

94touring

Yeah if I recall it's 100k per person up to 300k and then another however much for the vehicle involved. 

94touring

I got the letter in the mail from Grundy and one of the stated issues was my garage is too cluttered.  So I went back and looked through all the pictures I sent in. This is the worst one.

MiniDave

I showed that pic at Prather's garage night tonight, everyone had the same reaction " Cluttered? You should see MINE!!"

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Maybe they hired some new underwriter who doesn't understand garages  :017:

cstudep

Probably a younger person who's only garage experience is the "You Tube Garage" videos. You know, the ones that are spotless, not a spec of dust anywhere and with narry a tool in sight.

94touring

Good probability!  There's also this abhorrent garage picture.  Looks like I just torqued up the wheels and didn't immediately put the tools away  :undecided:

94touring

Oh also it was Steve Coates I talked to with American Collectors.  I got an email from him this morning.  One of the reasons why my insurance went up is also due to me  upping values on 3 cars.  Which brings up a good story with the convo with Steve.  When I said I'd like to put 45k on the rx7 and that prices on those have been sky rocketing, he said I want you to "percolate" on that while we talk and maybe think of a higher number.  After a moment I said let's make it 55k.  He agreed to that and said, yeah what I want to be able to do is after some unfortunate accident, I cut you a check you can wipe your tears away with and go out and buy exactly what you already have.  Definitely gave me the warm fuzzies lol.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: 94touring on August 17, 2023, 02:18:50 PMYeah if I recall it's 100k per person up to 300k and then another however much for the vehicle involved. 

It isn't even that much - 30/60/25 for liability coverage is all that is required.  $30,000 of coverage for injuries per person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for property damage.  I don't think a lot people understand what the minimums cover and how little that is.

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: 94touring on August 17, 2023, 02:56:33 PMI got the letter in the mail from Grundy and one of the stated issues was my garage is too cluttered.  So I went back and looked through all the pictures I sent in. This is the worst one.

That really just sounds like an excuse that they did not want to continue coverage. 

94touring

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on August 18, 2023, 07:37:52 AM
Quote from: 94touring on August 17, 2023, 02:56:33 PMI got the letter in the mail from Grundy and one of the stated issues was my garage is too cluttered.  So I went back and looked through all the pictures I sent in. This is the worst one.

That really just sounds like an excuse that they did not want to continue coverage. 

Yeah they were jerks about it too. The lady couldn't have cared less.  When I asked to speak to an underwriter or anyone who could help resolve the issue, I was put on hold and then told it's too late now. Basically too bad so sad.  But we'll email you a form to fill out. I got the form and I more or less felt like I'd be begging them to stay on.  It felt like a real slap in the face to be honest.  After getting setup with AC, I sent her an email saying how much I didn't appreciate how they handled the situation and that I'd definitely be taking my business to a competitor and no longer recommending Grundy to my car friends.

When I told Steve the story he said that's pretty dumb on their part as good customers are hard to come by, they make commissions, and after talking to you you're clearly a car guy who will add more vehicles over time.

MiniDave

Yeah, I got good vibes from Steve also, and he also wanted me to consider the value I was putting on my green car, he thought I might want to up that as well. I don't know if it's just them wanting to make a little more money on the premium or he genuinely believes it was too low, but no matter. I also got good vibes from them, but the real proof will be if you ever have to make a claim.

I haven't had any issues with Grundy,, but then my entire interactions with them have been just sending them money......I've never made a claim on any insurance I've had save one with State Farm about 25 years ago, and it was a fairly small claim.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

One thing I really liked about American Collectors, during the run up to a severe storm they emailed me and said I could be reimbursed up to $250 per vehicle to have them transported and stored in a safe area out of the pathway of the storm/flood risk. They specifically said this would not be classed as a claim on my policy.

94touring

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on August 18, 2023, 09:15:37 AMOne thing I really liked about American Collectors, during the run up to a severe storm they emailed me and said I could be reimbursed up to $250 per vehicle to have them transported and stored in a safe area out of the pathway of the storm/flood risk. They specifically said this would not be classed as a claim on my policy.

Wow!  That's really good to hear.  It did strike me as odd after all these years with Grundy that I never once got a call or any communication from them. Just an email with a bill once a year. Not that there's a reason to call me, but the initial setup you'd think there'd me something to talk about.  I sent in my change forms to up values and add the innocenti on finally, and not a peep from them, which prompted me calling.  Except coming home from a trip to this letter saying my garage is messy and you're towing which cancels the policy. I called state farm who I insure my other cars with , the rental properties, house, shop, and boat and they're always chatty and helpful as can be.  We came to an agreed value more or less on the bus, but she did say it would be in my best interest to get it appraised to lock it in and protect myself. 

cstudep

Sounds like American Collectors is a decent group, may have to reach out to them and get an estimate. I have used Hagerty for several years without issue. Like the rest of you I have never had to make a claim, and I rarely hear from them so no idea if it's any good or not. They take my money and that's about the sum of things.

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on August 18, 2023, 10:02:55 AMSounds like American Collectors is a decent group, may have to reach out to them and get an estimate. I have used Hagerty for several years without issue. Like the rest of you I have never had to make a claim, and I rarely hear from them so no idea if it's any good or not. They take my money and that's about the sum of things.

The quote I got from Haggerty online seemed a bit high.  In fact they'd allow limited towing with the bus, but it's $500 more for the year verses statefarm, which is do whatever I want.

cstudep

Good to know.. At the time Haggerty was at the cheaper end of the options I explored. But I had never even heard of American Collectors until now so my options were fairly limited back then. Its never gone up significantly in price unless I up the values so that is good at least I guess. Definitely going to look into this other place though to see if I can save some money.

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on August 18, 2023, 02:29:24 PMGood to know.. At the time Haggerty was at the cheaper end of the options I explored. But I had never even heard of American Collectors until now so my options were fairly limited back then. Its never gone up significantly in price unless I up the values so that is good at least I guess. Definitely going to look into this other place though to see if I can save some money.

This is the guys info.

Direct Line:    856-382-3245 
Email:    Steven.C@americancollectors.com

tmsmini

Do they cover tools as well?
I wanted to add tool coverage to State Farm on a personal articles policy, but they don't do that.
I got a quote from Hagerty, but they won't cover all the cars because I have limited garage space, 3 minis and an El Camino and only two garage spots.

94touring

Not sure about the tools.  You'd have to just chat with the guy and explain 3 cars can fit in a 2 car garage.

tmsmini

I will contact him. I did an online quote, but we have an umbrella with State Farm and I am not sure what the required limits on autos.

I am not happy with State Farm after a claim for our 2005 Yukon XL. I guess an 18 year old car is getting close to being a classic...