New project 2003 mini

Started by jeff10049, December 12, 2015, 09:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Jim, Must be a older 2.0L crv to have a belt I think the service is 90k on those but i'm with you if its gotta come apart for a water pump (very common failure and noisy) just do the belt while their.  2002ish up CRV has a timing chain and problems with it long oil change intervals don't help and they get really noisy sometimes even jump time. Oh and also have premature water pump failures seems to be a crv thing.
I think he needs a E46 platform BMW.

Jeff

Jims5543

Quote from: jeff10049 on February 17, 2016, 11:39:48 PM
Jim, Must be a older 2.0L crv to have a belt I think the service is 90k on those but i'm with you if its gotta come apart for a water pump (very common failure and noisy) just do the belt while their.  2002ish up CRV has a timing chain and problems with it long oil change intervals don't help and they get really noisy sometimes even jump time. Oh and also have premature water pump failures seems to be a crv thing.
I think he needs a E46 platform BMW.

Jeff

Your inside my head, get out!!!

I thought the same thing, I do not think an older Mini Cooper is right for him, they need a lot of TLC, BUT, my sons ex-girlfriend has a 2005 with 100K miles on it. It gave her a LOT of problems at first, once sorted it had turned out to be a solid car. Of course my son and I did all the work, once it was all sorted she broke up with him. Bitch.

But, I agree, I think he needs a more dependable car like a Honda, not sure an older Bini is the right car for him.  I know he is dying to get one though.  He is not in the market for a new car, I just wanted to surprise him, his CRV problems were unrelated to my desire to just surprise him.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

I think you'd be better served to fix up the car he already owns rather than buy another set of unknown problems.....all the used Hondas I've ever seen have a gazillion miles on them anyway, why trade his miles for someone else's?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on February 18, 2016, 08:48:42 AM
I think you'd be better served to fix up the car he already owns rather than buy another set of unknown problems.....all the used Hondas I've ever seen have a gazillion miles on them anyway, why trade his miles for someone else's?

He is getting the CRV sorted out as we speak.

This would be an extra car and with a daughter about ready to get her learners permit I am sure another car would be a godsend.

I am still interested in this car if it is still available Jeff.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

Still haven't finished it up hopefully this weekend got the new inner fenders in replaced the oil pressure sending unit just need to put the front bumper on and see how it drives been too busy with the business to mess with it much this week. The other guy really wants a early samuri for his other car so I don't think he'll take this car I'll let you know first if he passes. That and I'm not sure if id sell to him unless he understands the tlc factor.

jeff10049

Took it for a drive last night went and filled it with fresh gas drove it around the block a few times. Most stuff is good transmission shifts perfectly no bad noises in any gear. Cruise control works. Slight shake in the brakes seems to be going away need to drive more might have warped rotor but the front brakes and rotors look very new, I think the a/c quit I need to cheack that out I had charged it up and it worked great might be a leak or maybe the out side temp has some control over it it was only 30 I didn't think to try defrost as that should run it too. I'll check today. I don't like the noise of the CAI and K&N filter that are installed but the factory air box is long gone. Painted and installed the new used A panel. Now I Just need to get the correct battery and a battery box lid and detail the car. I kinda want to keep it since its a stick but I don't need 3 binis.

jeff10049

A/C was fine guess I just can't hear the compressor come on. been driving it to work this week couple hundred miles so far no problems. Runs good had rust behind one front rotor cleaned it  brake shake went away. Going to list it for sale later this week so Jim if you are interested let me know or anybody here. Body has normal wear for a 13 year old car minor dings some on roof front center not sure what happend there but their not bad I didn't notice until washing it, few small scratches.  will need rear brakes in the next 30k miles 3 wheels are nice very minor if any curb damage one curbed hard but still looks fine until your close and looking its just the outter edge has new tires, interior very nice minor wear on drivers seat and steering wheel rest is perfect. I am going to ask 4,800 If I list it but if somebody here wants it we can cut the bs out and go 4k.
Car has 168k  anything remotely suspect on the engine was replaced new rings, rod berings, mains bearings as needed, timing componets,  head gone though valve job stem seals, car had a newer radiator, water pump, cooling fan, clutch and flywheel, reman transmission.

Jeff

Jims5543

I really want to surprise me brother with this car, I am tempted to just grab it for me, Mrs5543 will need a car to drive in the fall when our son goes to a school much farther away.

I am hesitant to buy for my brother because he is no a very mechanical type. I have no reservations myself.

Let me mill this over today, I will let you know this evening or tomorrow morning early at the latest.

Mudhen

Wow, you really went through that thing!  4.gif

jeff10049

Cool JIM, I can send you more detailed photos, if you want you can call me I could text them right to you. 541-280-0444

Jims5543

Quote from: jeff10049 on March 03, 2016, 09:59:10 AM
Cool JIM, I can send you more detailed photos, if you want you can call me I could text them right to you. 541-280-0444

My email is my screen name @gmail.com feel free to send photos, will show Mrs.5543 tonight and let you know tomorrow. I have a friend who is a car shipper and gives great prices so there is no worry there.

jeff10049

Sold the car the first guy that was interested ended up buying it after all. And really likes it. It was a fun project I'm looking for another new mini to fix up there almost cheaper and easier than the classics I can fix and sell new ones to fund my classic mini projects.

Jeff