New project 2003 mini

Started by jeff10049, December 12, 2015, 09:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Picked this up in camas wa. with a rod knock.Hauled it home body and paint are nice, leather interior  is really nice, new rubber and brakes, newer valeo solid flywheel clutch.

Should be a nice car when fixed, I have to buy all the parts from ebay uk to afford to fix it. one bearing shell costs $26.00 here they are sold each. found a set on ebay uk for $80 us dollars shipped. Quotes here were as high as $898.00 for  a set of rod bearings :-\ 

I need one rod if anybody has a good one.

Car will be for sale when done.

Jeff

jeff10049

BTW this is what happens when you don't change the oil until the sludge collapses the filter element.

Dmulder

Looks like fun. I rebuilt an old Chevy s-10 that I picked up for $50 by it wouldn't start.  It appeared to have sat for over 10 yrs when I got it. New fuel, filter, and battery and it fired right up. Horrible knock. Tore it down and found all the sludge. Fixed it up and gave it away. That was a fun experience.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MiniDave

Quote from: jeff10049 on December 12, 2015, 10:10:11 PM
BTW this is what happens when you don't change the oil until the sludge collapses the filter element.

Or buy the cheap auto parts store filter instead of the factory one - I changed the oil regularly on my 2003 JCW, the first time I used the cheapy, and when I took the filter out it was collapsed. Factory filters never did that - lesson learned, fortunately before it did any damage.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Very true this had a fram filter I have seen fram filters ruin at least 6 engines over the years I'm not counting this one since the amount of sludge was bad not frams fault but a good filter might have survived. I always run quality filters they are cheap compared to engine's.

Mudhen

Nice project!!   4.gif

Guess I've been lucky with my 'whatever-is-cheapest' oil filters.  I only do them every 15k, though, so I actually haven't put that many in.   8.gif

Mudhen

I just stopped to look at an '07 'S' at a local used car place down the street.  Needs a clutch.  138k miles, though...and an '07, which I really wouldn't want.  But $2500?  Seems like a good price...assume the clutch job would be similar to what I'm doing now.

I do sort of 'need' a new daily driver...

I don't understand the crazy price US places charge for Mini/MINI parts (and racing stuff as I found with the seats I just got).  Don't they realize we all have the Internet now?  Thank dog we do.

MiniDave

There's an '07 S here locally for $2500 too, says it needs a turbo and had a complete new engine 10K miles ago.....I was thinking of getting it and flipping it too. I can do a Turbo for $1500 or so, the car should easily bring $5-7K fixed.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Yep I almost bought a 07 non running from a dealer that took it as trade I think it broke the chain or jumped time  but they wanted just a little too much. Then there is a miss firing 08 100 miles south of me for cheap. These newer ones are fun to hobby with too and cheaper than the classics sometimes. I think you metioned that in another thread.

My connecting rod ended up being ok the heat of the bearing failure shrunk it so the machine shop stress relived it tested hardness checked for cracks and honed it back to size. I lucked out since there cracked caps and can't normally be re coned. Crank was better than I thought machine shop ground it .010 on the rods and polished mains. I should be starting to put it back together next week. I need to order rings still.

Jeff

MiniDave

Way back in the day - in the 60's - we occasionally fixed a bad rod bearing on the car. There was a fellow who had a grinder that attached to the crank, and a motor that installed where the starter went. The motor turned the crank and the grinder hung down below and the weight of it provided just enough pressure on the stone.....you could do very fine work with it. Once done, an oversize shell goes in and the car was back on the road.

We had a student come thru KC on his way from New York to California in an old TR-3, he had little money but we were able to get him going again this way. He wrote us years later and said the car was still running fine and he'd never bothered to have it redone.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

How cool is that I think it's still done on very large marine engine's. I hand polished a crank once in the car and sanded down the rod cap until the clearance would work lasted about 20k and that was long enough for the customer to save up for a reman engine. We didn't bother to look and see if it was the same one knocking again.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

I once saw a deck mounted had driven boring bar old rottler I think. That would of been a hell of a work out cranking that sucker in and out.

The crank shaft is back from the shop straightened and ground .010 on the rods. Machine shop provided all the gaskets reasonable. waiting on rings from ebay I'm not sure I needed them but figured I'd do a light glaze break hone and replace them just to be safe now that I have disturbed them.

Should start putting it back together tomorrow or at least get the block cleaned and ready.

Jeff

jeff10049

Put in the engine and transmission today. When I got the car it was taken apart it's been fun figuring out what bolts go where had to go buy some for the engine to trans mounting they were not with the car, other than the two that go through the starter.

I did also get some shit that's for other cars, that makes it interesting. After trying to figure out a heat sheild for a while I googled the pn and it fits a z3 bmw , a lower sheild for a e46 of some kind , a evap solenoid for a VW, and a bunch of random non mini bolts. OH and a crazy looking pot pipe and some meth or crack  in a little bag behind the tail light access I think I'll see if the cops can use a dog or something to check the rest of the car for me.

I never did find the evap solenoid for this car but it's a GM/Delphi part and easy/cheap to get.

Should be running soon.

Mudhen

Quote from: jeff10049 on February 07, 2016, 11:46:23 PM
Put in the engine and transmission today. When I got the car it was taken apart it's been fun figuring out what bolts go where had to go buy some for the engine to trans mounting they were not with the car, other than the two that go through the starter.

I did also get some shit that's for other cars, that makes it interesting. After trying to figure out a heat sheild for a while I googled the pn and it fits a z3 bmw , a lower sheild for a e46 of some kind , a evap solenoid for a VW, and a bunch of random non mini bolts. OH and a crazy looking pot pipe and some meth or crack  in a little bag behind the tail light access I think I'll see if the cops can use a dog or something to check the rest of the car for me.

I never did find the evap solenoid for this car but it's a GM/Delphi part and easy/cheap to get.

Should be running soon.

LOL, sounds like a fun puzzle!   4.gif

MiniDave

This is a "Justa" then?

Which transmission? CVT or Midlands 5 speed?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

How much for the crack pipe?  I happen to be in the market at the moment.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

LOL Jim it's a pot pipe, but I found remains of crack or meth in a bag not sure how to tell I pressure washed it away when cleaning the engine bay. pot pipe's kinda cool looking but I don't smoke the stuff.

I did fire up the engine today runs nice very quiet and smooth. leaking oil sending unit so i'll order that,  air bag light on need to investagate, pass side power window non op, and there were parts missing for the oil filter housing (might be part of the reason the filter collapsed and the engine failed) I rigged up something for now need to find right parts for next service, realized it's missing front innner fenders ordered those, and a battery box lid, all this shits cutting into my margin dammit but I want to sell it in good correct condition.

Dave, It's the 5 speed

Jeff

Jims5543

Quote from: jeff10049 on February 08, 2016, 10:46:54 PM
LOL Jim it's a pot pipe, but I found remains of crack or meth in a bag not sure how to tell I pressure washed it away when cleaning the engine bay. pot pipe's kinda cool looking but I don't smoke the stuff.

Pass then, I am only interested in a crack pipe right now. I may be in the market for some ether and possibly some syringes in the near future of you have a line on them.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Let me know how you make out with your airbag light...I'm about ready to shoot myself in the face at this point.  ARGH!!

Jims5543

Ballpark Price for this when it is done? My Brother may be in the market.

jeff10049

Pat my air bag light was a unplugged seat belt tensioner, what problems are you having?

Jim, Been watching the 2003's since I got it they seem to sell anywhere between 3,500 and 5,500 private party. I was going to ask 4,500 and see where it goes the cars only book at like 2,500 but I have never seen a good one sell that cheap. I think the cvt trans, and power steering failures really killed the book value on these early cars even the 5 speeds had some problems.  This one has been rebuilt at some point and I'm putting redline mtl fluid in it to help it last.

This car has a nice interior for age minor wear on drivers seat and dye worn off on steering wheel leather, very new front brakes and rotors, will need rear pads soon,
Trans has been rebuilt at some point and is quite and works well, looks like a newer p/s pump, paint is good minor dents and dings smaller than a dime in three or four places nothing bad other than passenger fender but I have a new one and will replace it, In the engine I replaced anything suspect, car had newer radiator and cooling fan, It appers the car was well cared for previous to the last owner who only had it a year and killed the engine.  I just got all the warning lights off, fixed a power window,waiting for oil sending unit, and inner fenders, Need to paint and install fender drive it some then it's ready for a new owner.
I did tell the guy that works for a next door business that he has first choice when it's done but I'm not sure he'll buy it I'll let you know. In case your Brother is interested or anyone else here.

Jeff

Jims5543

I just found out more details on my brother. He took his Honda CRV with 130K miles on it to Wal-mart for an oil change.

They forgot to add oil back into the car. My brother, not being the most mechanically inclined and probably distracted by a litter of kids, drove it home with no oil, it started to overheat, of course and now the engine is shot.

He lost the receipt and thinks he has no recourse. I am sending him an email right now to pursue this.  I am not too sure how much time has passed since this happened so I am not sure if he can even do that now.

He has 4 kids from 4 to 15 years old and never seems to get a leg up. He is my only family member that is not a double crossing asshole and for that, I want to blow his mind and do something cool for him.  He lives in Lexington Ky, works for Big Ass Fans and is finally getting on his feet, every time he does it seems another anvil falls from the sky to set him back.

I just missed a 2003 with 190K miles on it, but enthusiast owned on Sunshine Mini's for 2K but needs a clutch.  He has a laundry list of parts and maintenance done to it so I know it was well taken care of.

If that other guy passes let me know, I may be interested, no promises right now thought.

My original plan is to hit some auctions and see if I can find one there. Since you have been through this car, I feel this may be a good option for him.

Willie_B

Quote from: Jims5543 on February 15, 2016, 05:38:25 AM
I just found out more details on my brother. He took his Honda CRV with 130K miles on it to Wal-mart for an oil change.

He lost the receipt and thinks he has no recourse.

If he used a credit card then go back thru them for a copy. Did they put one of their little stickers on the inside of the windshield for the next oil change due?

Jims5543

Quote from: Willie_B on February 15, 2016, 06:35:19 AM
Quote from: Jims5543 on February 15, 2016, 05:38:25 AM

He lost the receipt and thinks he has no recourse.

If he used a credit card then go back thru them for a copy. Did they put one of their little stickers on the inside of the windshield for the next oil change due?

I spoke with him directly the other night, instead of telephone through family.  It appears he had a similar problem as this engine in this thread, cheap Fram filter stretched the oil change out to once a year or 8K miles and probably has not helped the engine much. I told him 2X a year or 4K miles on thos cheap filters or go online and order a box of OEM filters and bring them with him to the oil changes.

The "noise" he is hearing is, in my opinion, a water pump getting ready to go, I told him to go get it replaced and do the timing belt...."But, I only have 50K miles on this timing belt I was told it will last 90K miles in Kentucky"......  long pause......

Me:  - Ummm what is so special about Kentucky that you can go 90K miles?

Him: - The weather is milder here than Florida so it will last much longer

Me: - You are willing to take that gamble? I would change at 50K miles a timing belt is cheaper than a destroyed engine.

Hopefully he listens to me, he already tracked down filters so that it promising.