First time poster

Started by bokbfok, March 14, 2019, 07:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bokbfok

Howdy all!

I just recently found this forum and so far great info! I am looking into buying a classic this weekend and wanted to get some feed back. I will post some pics. Please let me know your thoughts on Mk, model and general conditon. From every thing I can tell, using MM ultimate buying guide, Identification index and Chris Reese's book, I am pretty sure the car is a 1966 Austin Cooper S. I would be happy if it was even just a Cooper! But I do not have the most experience with this. The car has crank windows but I have read that was a common retro fit in the MK I & II's. The VIN number on the plate is C-A2S7-85XXXX. I took a picture of the vin but stupidly deleted it. Those are the numbers I remembered. I know that those vin plates can be faked so being cautiously optimistic. Is there a online resource to check the number once I get the full VIN? The motor was replaced by PO, did not see any tappet covers, so not the Cooper S 1275 motor.
The car is in rough shape, but I am okay with that and will take time getting it back to looking good if I go ahead and get it. I took a magnet with, body is in decent shape with no body filler that I found. There is slight surface rust but no through holes. Paint is flaking as it was standing in the sun, currently in a shed.

I am really looking forward to hearing and learning from you guys! Also, please let me know if this is suppose to be posted else where.
Thanks
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

MiniDave

Here is a good starting place for info on this car.....

https://www.minimania.com/Mini_Identification

Edi: Oops, looks like you've already been there....sorry

I can't quite tell from the pics, those could be Aussie doors, the decklid seems different to me too....

What are they asking for the car? It will take a LOT of work and money to bring that one back, but it's doable.

Welcome to the forum! Good luck on the purchase!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

I did not think the decklid looked out of place, but then again I am no expert.  :(

They want $3500
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

MiniDave

Were there any pics under the hood? did it have dry or hydro suspension?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

See that is why i am here, to learn! How does an untrained eye tell the difference between the two suspentions?

No pics of the engine bay.
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

ADRay

The windows in the doors jump out to me. (2 pieces of glass) Possibly an aftermarket crank setup?
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

gr8kornholio

It looks like an Australian market mini.  The doors and the narrower license plate indentation.  Hard to tell from pictures but it looks like there could be indentations where the wipers go in the cowl and possible dual holes in the front corner of the drip rails.  Another tell of the Australian car is underneath, there are two long metal covers concealing the channels for the hydro lines and fuel/battery.

I am currently restoring a 65 Australian car.  I'll see if I have some close ups of these areas when I get home.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

MiniDave

The easiest way to tell if it has hydro is to look under the hood, if you see the hoses it has hydro, if you don't it's ether been converted to dry or never was hydro....if you see the brackets for the hoses but no hoses it was converted.

In this pic, the hose back by the bulkhead that arches up and over is the hydro line.

In the pics it looks like it's sitting low, but not all the way down.

Mark, do the wiper hole locations look right for an Aussie car?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info! In the forums opinion with the information you have, what should I pay for it?
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

MiniDave

Hard to say from 3 pics....

But it pretty much needs "everything", how much of it can you do yourself vs paying others?

Point is, there are a lot of nice cars out there that are already done and ready to drive, unless you want this particular car for an express reason or just want a project - why bother with this one?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

If it is a cooper S and given the Aussie doors, it may be worth the 3k.  But that's a 15k restore minimum doing it yourself or 30k+ paying someone else to do it.   The 67s I'm doing he has somewhere in the 40s on his. 

There's always this super rare 73 innocenti for sale that will be fully restored and ready to drive very soon.   4.gif

bokbfok

The intention is that I will do most of the work. Probably have it painted by pro's.
I have wanted a Classic for quite some time, +/- 15 yrs. Form looking at MM, other forums and craigslist, there are classic available but usually quite pricey. Some need same amount of work for more expensive or some nicely done for $15k or higher. Seeing that it checked most of the Cooper S check boxes, I was quite excited! Did not consider that it might be an Aussie import.  I was even contemplating importing one.
But this is why I am asking, maybe someone can steer me in a better direction? Maybe I can bargain the seller down to a better price? All suggestion and opinions greatly appreciated.
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

BruceK

Welcome!    Here's my two cents: I think you may need to evaluate what you're looking for in a Mini. Are you looking for something that you can drive and enjoy upon purchase?    Because that is very tempting.  Or are you looking for something that is going to be a big project/learning experience with the end result eventually being something you can drive and enjoy?   

If you are avoiding a complete running car because you think you won't have any opportunities to wrench on it rest assured that with any Mini you will have plenty of opportunities!    If you are avoiding a fully functioning running car because of the cost you may need to balance that against what it would cost to buy a nonrunning car and spend the time and effort and money to get it going.   Personally, I would opt for the running car that fits within your budget.   That way you can experience the fun of owning it without just the pain of working on it again and again until you finally get a nonrunning car finished. 

From what I can tell the car you have shown us is being offered at $3000? Is that right? If so, you can easily count on doubling or tripling that to get it finally running and fixed up the way you want it to be.   So the alternative would be to perhaps consider a lower-priced running car that you can drive and enjoy and fix up and personalize at the same time.   I would look at complete running Minis in the $5000-$10,000 price range which should include some relatively late model Japanese spec Minis.  While the Japanese spec Minis are not perfect the fact that they come from Japan, are usually low mileage, and have to pass periodic Shaken tests usually means they are in relatively decent shape.    If you can spend more money then you can buy a nicer Japanese Mini.

If this idea interest you I will look to give you a couple of examples of what I'm talking about. Let me know.   And good luck on your decision. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on March 14, 2019, 12:15:24 PM
There's always this super rare 73 innocenti for sale that will be fully restored and ready to drive very soon.   4.gif

Yes, but it won't be cheap either!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: bokbfok on March 14, 2019, 12:23:23 PM
The intention is that I will do most of the work. Probably have it painted by pro's.
I have wanted a Classic for quite some time, +/- 15 yrs. Form looking at MM, other forums and craigslist, there are classic available but usually quite pricey. Some need same amount of work for more expensive or some nicely done for $15k or higher. Seeing that it checked most of the Cooper S check boxes, I was quite excited! Did not consider that it might be an Aussie import.  I was even contemplating importing one.
But this is why I am asking, maybe someone can steer me in a better direction? Maybe I can bargain the seller down to a better price? All suggestion and opinions greatly appreciated.

You don't have near enough info to make a good decision on this car from a casual glance. There could be (and probably will be ) rust to deal with, and if you're having pros fix it it will be expensive. Does it run? If it needs suspension work (and it will) you could be in for some pretty expensive bits if it has hydro suspension, less so if it's already dry but you still will want to go thru it all. I've spent probably close to $4K so far on the Inno and all I've done are brakes, suspension and a bunch of powedercoating. Haven't even touched the engine. If it hasn't run in a while you'll be spending money to clean and coat the fuel tank and getting it running will probably result in an engine/trans overhaul. Mo money.....

Fine if what you want is a project to have fun with, but you won't be driving it for a year or more, and the world is littered with projects begun in the best of intentions that never get finished.

I'm with Bruce, buy a car you can drive and have fun with - unless your goal is to get a project. In that case, given what this car will need (everything - suspension brakes, fuel, engine/trans overhaul, paint and body work, ties and wheels, interior) you should definitely start low..."free" might be too much to pay for this one! 

Unless what you WANT is a project, if it is, then go for it!

We're not trying to dissuade you here - not at all. Minis can be fun to work on, but we want you to know what you're up against - as we don't know you, your capabilities, your shop and equipment we can't judge if you're up for this or not.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

Dave - I hear you. I think emotions are leading the decision here. I should probable step back and evaluate. I know I am new here and you don't know me, but I feel that is I am getting honest answers here, which is what I wanted.

So, some background. I am a mechanical engineer in is late 30's. Was a residential contractor for close 15 years before going back to school to get my ME degree. I have been neck deep in rebuilding a  700R4 and chevy small block. I have personally done body work on a truck and 3 stage painted it. So some skills, but by no means an expert. I guess I am saying I am not afraid of  the work, but if it can be avoided I will. I currently have 2 gen 1 MINI's and 04 Duramax GMC that is do all my own work on.

That being said, I will definitely take your advice on all aspects! Thanks! I will do some more browsing on what is available out there
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

MiniDave

If the car is close enough to you, how about going over and taking some pics? Some closeups under the bonnet, rear and sides (sills) of the car will let us give you a lot more input on it. Interior (esp of the speedo) and boot area will answer a lot of questions - and of course the vin plate.

I think we'd all like to see more. If it's always been a local car, chances are good the body is not a rusty hulk like in other parts of the country!

There's a guy named Wild Child in Phoenix that has a lot of classic Minis, give you a chance to drive some cars and learn more about them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

I will see if I can get some more pics. The speedo is definitely not original! I have also been texting the owner in parallel with this thread, I got them to $2200, just as a FYI. No deal yet.

Quote from: MiniDave on March 14, 2019, 12:58:01 PM
I think we'd all like to see more. If it's always been a local car, chances are good the body is not a rusty hulk like in other parts of the country!

From what I have been told, it has been here all of it imported life. No kidding on the rust. I looked at one in Rochester, NY when I was living out there. The sills and lower parts looked like swiss cheese!
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

MiniDave

If you decide to do a project car, buy a Haynes manual, there are a few "tricks" to taking one of these apart and putting them back together.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

bokbfok

Quote from: MiniDave on March 14, 2019, 01:36:11 PM
If you decide to do a project car, buy a Haynes manual, there are a few "tricks" to taking one of these apart and putting them back together.

Thanks, great tip!
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

BruceK

As an opposing point of view, here's an example of a running Mini that could be imported from Japan for about $6K all in (car, shipping, custom duties, broker fees, etc.).    That's for shipping to Galveston which is not super far away from Arizona.   But a west coast port would likely be closer and cost less.

More risk than a car local to you, yes, but potentially more reward too. 

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car_smart/rover/mini/24166830/?isNew=1

And there are other JDM importer websites based in Japan that could provide more information about the car and help you with translated import documents.  Or, help you with the search for a different Mini there. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

bokbfok

Quote from: BruceK on March 14, 2019, 03:07:07 PM
As an opposing point of view, here's an example of a running Mini that could be imported from Japan for about $6K all in (car, shipping, custom duties, broker fees, etc.).    That's for shipping to Galveston which is not super far away from Arizona.   But a west coast port would likely be closer and cost less.

More risk than a car local to you, yes, but potentially more reward too. 

https://www.tradecarview.com/used_car_smart/rover/mini/24166830/?isNew=1

And there are other JDM importer websites based in Japan that could provide more information about the car and help you with translated import documents.  Or, help you with the search for a different Mini there. 

OK wow, is see there are options! Thanks!
1966 Mini Cooper S
2004 Gmc Sierra 2500HD
2005 MINI Cooper S
2019 Colorado ZR2

MiniDave

Yes, but that will be a 998.....

I say go up to Phoenix and visit Wild Child's place, he has a bunch of different Minis and you can drive them and see whether /what will work best for you.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Actually, that Japanese based Mini Bruce posted is a 1275 - SPI/MPI based engine.  The ECU is on the visual left behind the grill and in front of the brake booster.  That particular car does not appear to have the a/c system often found on the Japanese spec Minis.