Red Stripe

Started by jeff10049, January 07, 2018, 07:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Not the Beer but mini Daves garage.
Dave this is bugging me why does the red strip not go through/on the pipe on the wall?

MiniDave

Because it goes behind it?   ;D

I put that stripe on that wall then decided I didn't want to do the rest of the garage....it was too much work.....  ::)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

It does look cool though.  I have been wanting to do at least two colors at the business I want a stripe like that too but it is a lot of work so I'll probably just do two colors.
As for the home shop, it's still bare studs so much to do.

MiniDave

I liked the way the stripe looked, but.......doing two colors is easy and makes sense in a shop, darker lower color hides dirt and the lighter upper color reflects light better.

Also, a red stripe will take at least 3 coats......ask me how I know! And now you know why I only did the one short wall.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 07, 2018, 08:57:51 PM
I liked the way the stripe looked, but.......doing two colors is easy and makes sense in a shop, darker lower color hides dirt and the lighter upper color reflects light better.

Also, a red stripe will take at least 3 coats......ask me how I know! And now you know why I only did the one short wall.

But everyone knows stripes make things go faster!   Ergo, a racing stripe in the garage makes work go faster.   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

The first time I encountered the two tone walls was in a Porsche dealer - dark blue below and light grey above.....I thought it was pretty cool looking - but then the first shop I worked in was in the basement of a Fina gas station, so I was easily impressed!

This is a shot of a 1938 Rolls Royce Phantom III V-12 that I pulled the oil pan off of, taken in that same shop under the Fina station.

In a funny sort of circlular way, the upstairs of the Fina station is now an air cooled VW shop, with hundreds of old air cooleds parked all around it in various states of decrepitude.

Edit: We were also a Citroen dealer, so that's a Mehari parked ahead of the Rolls, I'm not sure what the hatch in the foreground is.....we had room to get 4 cars in the shop, as long as one of them wasn't a Phantom III....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

ahhhh Rolls Royce what cars they were back then very impressive power, braking and handling for there weight still true today at least the ones I've had the pleasure to drive.

I remember absolutely leaving a tuned port iroc z car with a built 400 in the dust corners and straight roads in a 1963 silver cloud it was bone stock and outperformed the iroc so much it was pointless. Definitely humbled the iroc owner the silver cloud could put you back in the seat so hard it was difficult  for me to understand (at the age I was) something like that even existed in 1963 as the guys I ran with had me thinking American cars were the best and fastest and here a car 20+ years younger weighing nearly double  was way faster. It was a v8 if I remember I think it had two su carbs on it not sure about that.

MiniDave

IIRC, the V-12 in this idled at about 400 rpm, and the only way you could tell it was running was to put your hand over the exhaust pipe outlet to feel the hot exhaust coming out or open the hood and see the fan turning. It had 2" thick lambswool carpets in back and drove like a truck, with no power steering, brakes or anything. The engine had hydraulic lifters too - in 1938!

Back to the paint stripe for a minute, different colors are easier to paint, for example a black or dark blue stripe would only take one coat, and if I had tried to paint the red over the darker grey instead of the white, it would only have taken one, maybe two coats to get coverage.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad