F1 - 2021

Started by MiniDave, December 01, 2020, 09:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbraun

We were there in 12, 13 and 14 , I think that's right. Great town, great track, much more crowded this past weekend.  Go Max!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

BruceK

Re: Mexican Race.    How do you say "YAWN" in Spanish?   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Oh, I don't know......anytime 'not Hamilton" wins, it's a good race to me, however it was a traditional F1 race, the guy leading the first lap seems to drive off and leave the rest.

However - also like the new version of F1 - everything from there back was pretty fun, including Checho almost getting the Hamster at the end for 2nd.

When the Mercs quallied 1-2, I was seriously thinking that Bought Ass would move over an let the Hammy in front - (the announcers said they thought that's part of what caused the 1st lap mess, Bottas let off to let Hamster ahead and that's when Ricky racer hit him) and that the Haminator would win.....but Max simply drove ahead and made the turn ahead of the Benzer boys and that was that.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

It was a pretty good race, but as expected the Red Bull's dominated on this style of circuit.  Also Mexico is unique in terms of altitude as well. 

I think Bottas was focusing more on not hitting Hamilton and then that let Max around the outside, who had almost the racing line so more grip.  However, Max would have probably won if he had come out further down, his pace was a level above.  He was unlucky with Riccardo sliding into him.

It was another example of the Mercedes being crap behind other cars, late in the race Hamilton could not get close enough to Norris to initiate the blue flags.  Bottas should have been able to drive through the field more as his car is so much quicker than the ones he was around, but the Mercedes just cannot follow close enough.  Riccardo pitted and he went much faster, but then lost out with a slow stop. 

Final observation, the Alpine front suspension is really strong after breaking the rear suspension on the Alpha Tauri and the Haas at the same time!

BruceK

I remember about 30 years ago watching a video of Ayrton Senna taking a brand new Honda NSX around Suzuka. 

Pierre Gasley just took a vintage NSX around COTA.  Now he wants one! 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Just realized it should be really easy to find that old video, and of course well the miracle of the Internet it was.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

pbraun

Great video of Senna
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

Brit_in_TX

A classic NSX is one of those cars I would love to own! The value is trending upwards and wish I had done it a few years ago!

Brit_in_TX

Well that was intense!

Regardless of what you think of Hamilton, that was one of the drives of his career!

BruceK

Agreed.  Full credit to Lewis for both the Sprint and the Race.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I don't know, it's clear that after they gave him the new uprated engine he had the fastest car on the track by a good margin......so I don't know how much was him and how much was just having a more powerful car. That coupled with good strategy that worked to their favor gave him the win.

The fact that he could just carve thru the field like that tells me he clearly had a much faster car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

It does seem like he has developed a few driving skills as well. I am really not a fan of his, but ..... that was some doing
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

Brit_in_TX

There was a post of Reddit that speculated that the reason that Mercedes had been taking new engines is they have been working on a configuration/engine modes that will provide them with more power, but it shortens the life of the engine.  With only 3 races left, they do not need to last like the 4 from the beginning of the year.  The total distance now is probably less than 1000 miles on the each of the relatively fresh engines that he has left (One he took in Brazil and the one in Turkey).

Adds to the intrigue of the championship. 

Brit_in_TX

The Qatar race delivered more entertainment than I expected.  And judging by some of the team radio clips, than the teams expected. 

The penalties for Verstappen and Bottas were odd to say the least.  However, a car stopped on the circuit should have a yellow flag, especially as they do not know if the driver needs to exist the vehicle quickly regardless of whether they are off the racing line.  Also showed that the drivers have become reliant on the indications on their dash for yellow flags, rather then looking for yellow flags and lights around the circuit. 

The punctures added some excitement to the race, and I do not recall seeing that many punctures in a race for a long time.  Vaguely remember issues at Silverstone a few years ago, but cannot remember the year. 

Bottas showed why he has been replaced at Mercedes, after his terrible start he made little progress initially through much slower cars.  Compare that to Perez who was making places up from the start.

Verstappen and Hamilton are on a different level to the rest of the field - without the last pit stop by Verstappen they would have both been over 50 seconds ahead of 3rd.  Which is almost a second faster per lap over the distance. 

It was great to see Alonso on the podium, even though I think he was saved by the Virtual Safety Car at the end.  Only the 3rd driver over 40 in the last 30 ish years!

pbraun

RIP Sir Frank - one of the best
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

The Williams team principal (Jost Capito) also came from VW (via McLaren).  More old boys network than an indication of VW/Audi coming into the sport in my opinion.

BruceK

Wow.  Has to be the craziest race I can remember watching.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yes, terrible all around......

I've said it before, those Mercs are made out of some strong stuff - and even if they rip half the front wing off they go just as fast or faster......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Spend millions of dollars on wind tunnel time for aero.  Rip part of the car off and it goes faster!

That race was crazy, but the number of VSCs, Safety Cars and Red Flags was being predicted before the race.  It does seem bizarre that the permanent tracks have acres and acres of run off, yet a street circuit which is faster than many of the permanent ones has virtually none. 

With the controversy over track limits is going to continue, mainly passing outside of track limits. I wonder if we will get to a technology solution, eventually, where a car leaves the track engine power is cut to 20% whilst off track. 

MiniDave

That's certainly doable, but would it be safe? And when would the power come back on, when the front wheels hit the track again or the rears? I'm in favor of time penalties for going off the racing surface, much like in autocross and I think they should be draconian, as in stay off the damn curbs too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

How about truly draconian:
Time penalties for first 2 or 3 curb infractions, disqualification for continued infractions. 

Immediate disqualification for the kind of deliberate "off track" behavior shown in that race (I looked up the highlights based on the above comments).  Repeat offenses of deliberate "off track" and "passing off track" get multi-race suspensions.

Truly accidental "off track" instances without turning them into "passing off track" incur their own penalties. 

MiniDave

Well, that's a bit of a double edged sword.....some of the passes that were made in this race were standard fare when the likes of Senna, Mansel, Prost and even Schumi were racing....and we thought it added to the excitement of the race back then - to see someone make a banzai pass and pull it off.

I'd be concerned that you would take all of the risk taking out of the race and make it truly into a parade again. At least this season we've seen some battles. But I think using all of the curbs and even well over the curbs in the race in general as the track surface is wrong.

I don't know what the answer is, but it seems like they need to make up their minds, either they can exceed track limits or they can't - not just on certain turns that the stewards pick for that race.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

Quote from: MiniDave on December 06, 2021, 06:35:34 PM
I don't know what the answer is, but it seems like they need to make up their minds, either they can exceed track limits or they can't - not just on certain turns that the stewards pick for that race.

The issue last weekend was partially to do with track design, the first and second corner allowed the overtaking or defending driver to brake very very late, go off at the exit of turn 1 and cut turn 2, which Crashappen did at least twice.  Kimi also did it on another turn trying to pass Vettel. 

The other thing that messes with the consistency is the negotiation that the race director has with the teams before sending stuff to the stewards.

Somethings I would like to see:
- If you cut the track or leave the track whilst passing or defending you then have to give up that place. 
- When giving up a place it must be within a certain number of turns or sectors which reduces the likelihood of being strategic about it so they try and make it happen around DRS zones.
- The 10 second penalty thing needs to be rethought.  As the impact of a 10 second penalty can be so different depending on when that penalty is served.  If you get the penalty early in the race and serve it during the pit stop, it has a much bigger impact than after the race.  They should go back to place penalties. 
- When drivers are pushed wide on the outside, there should not be penalties.  They happen in Austria and the following driver should be expected to lift if the door is closing like that. 
- Tire changes during red flags need to stop.  Or they need to make a racing pitstop compulsory even if you change tires during a red flag.
- Penalties for consistent breach of the rules need to ramp up.  If you pass off track in one race and do it again the next race, the penalty doubles.