Respirators?

Started by Mudhen, December 07, 2012, 07:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Eventually I may actually get to paint my project...been watching some Kevin Tetz videos and taking notes.

What do you guys use for respirators for painting?  The 'hobby' system at Eastwood is $800!  One that uses your compressor is cheaper at around $500...still ouch.  I was hoping I could just buy the mask and a long tube and run it outside...isn't that 'fresh air'?

I see a 3M one that says it's good for paint - just facemask and some filters attached.  But how often would those not-so-cheap filters need replacing...

Thanks!

94touring

When the shop dog isn't stealing mine, I use a 3m face mask.  I would guess every few paint jobs they would need replaced.   

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on December 07, 2012, 09:57:32 AM
When the shop dog isn't stealing mine, I use a 3m face mask.  I would guess every few paint jobs they would need replaced.

Oh...wicked cool!  So for me that would be...well, never...

4.gif

94touring

A good few breathes of non filtered paint fume air will leave me coughing for days and feeling like crap.  I've never had issues if I wear the mask.  Paint fumes are bad!

Nicholasupton

I use a SATA fresh air respirator, or a 3M activated charcoal half mask depending on what I am spraying. Just remember that your eyes and absorb almost as much as you lungs