To stainless or not to stainless

Started by Mudhen, April 06, 2012, 04:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Hey guys,

I've been thinking ahead to a day when I might be putting pieces ON my Mini instead of taking pieces OFF of it...and was wondering what you all do about the 1000 nuts and bolts that you took off that were all rusted and crappy looking.

When I was a kid my dad bought a big assorted nut/bolt kit and it was one of the best things ever.  No more hourly trips to the hardware store for that one misc bolt.  So I was thinking about buying one - but stainless?  or regular?  Assuming metric - I think my car is mostly metric...13mm seems to be the predominant size and I'd like to standardize everywhere I can so I'm not always fishing around for a different wrench.

Was looking at some of these kits:

http://www.nutsandbolts.com/assortments-and-kits-nut-and-bolt-assortments-c-455_456.html

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Pat

94touring

Haven't really given it much thought myself.  Figured i'd be aking some trips to the hardware store!

Mudhen

Funny bolt story while I'm sitting here at work not working (and letting my drill bit cool down from the rotisserie build) - last time I was putting the engine back in my '65 I was looking for the bolts to the clutch slave cylinder.  Found two that fit but they seemed really long...thread was right, though.  Put them in, tightened them up.  Couple weeks later was finally ready to try starting it...wouldn't turn over.  Spend hours searching...turns out the holes for the slave cylinder are open through the bottom and the bolts were so long they had locked into the flywheel... :-[

94touring

joltfreak

LOL!!!!!! i did the same thing!!!!! :D :D :D :D
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

MPlayle

Hm, an alternate method for locking the flywheel when removing the nut!