Does it suck or blow?

Started by sparetimetoys, June 10, 2014, 10:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparetimetoys

I was on another site and a guy had overheating  trouble.  They said his fan could be on backwards. so I looked at the one on my car and it looks like it blows from the engine bay into the wheel well.  Is this correct.  The way my fan blade tips are bent would confirm this also.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

94touring

It pushes air into the wheel well.  Super 2 core rads, or the aluminum ones I sell are the way to go for cooling.   Not sure if 850s struggle there though.

tsumini

Yes the airflow is engine bay to wheel well. If you look at direction of rotation the blades will push air towards the wheel well.
The "cupped" side which the industry refers to as pressure side should be facing the radiator. The convex side or "suction" side will face the engine for correct orientation. Notice that putting on backward will not change the angle of attack of blade. It will only swap suction/pressure side orientation and I believe how far forward the fan is relative to the shroud.
IMHO backwards shouldn't have much of an affect but haven't posted this in other forums to avoid a pissing match against the "experts". I spent several years in jet engine maintenance and consider myself knowledgeable in turbo machinery. The reason I say "little effect" is this. I saw a JT12 turbojet ( Sabreliner 60) come in for scheduled Overhaul with one of its compressor disk reversed "on backwards". AC Operator reported no problem with performance.
There are many more things more important in cooling such as tip clearance, position of blade tips relative to the shroud among other things. Reversing the fan i believe changes the position of the fan relative to the shroud altering the "shrouded fan" effect.
Anyway this was written off the cuff so may appear rambling to some degree.

94touring

I completely agree with tsunami.

sparetimetoys

TSUMINI. I'm fairly sure I know what "experts" your talking about. lol  I have had them go off on a tangent on more than one question I have asked.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

tsumini