this is what happens when you never use credit cards

Started by 94touring, April 21, 2016, 09:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Apparently the other night after dinner I Iost my debit card.  The bonus to that was I didn't pay for all those beers afterwards.  At any rate no big deal to cancel the old card and get a new one on the way.  The restaurant said they didn't have it.  So grab my handy emergency credit card and head to work in Philadelphia.  Get a hotel last night and coffee this morning.  Go to buy lunch and it's declined.  They send an email saying it's been canceled and a new card has been sent out.   11.gif

Merlin

White people problems.

If only you were over 40, then you would have cash on you.

Engineering the Impossible

roadhouse

I'm the exact opposite. I use my credit card for everything and just pay it off every month. Sucks to lose a card though...

Jims5543

Quote from: roadhouse on April 21, 2016, 01:34:10 PM
I'm the exact opposite. I use my credit card for everything and just pay it off every month. Sucks to lose a card though...

Same here.

I use my Amex for all online purchases, why, it info gets stolen Amex forces the merchant to prove it was me and credit me back immediately.  Visa puts the burden on the card holder.

I put all my day to day purchases on a Capitol One card and just used the points for 4 free Airline tickets to the Bahamas.  My Amex is a Starwood  card and I use the points on that for free hotels.  For big trips once a year I pretty much fly free and stay in hotels free. All from just using my credit cards instead of carrying cash.

I also keep a 3rd credit card in my wallet that rarely gets used, it is just in cast the other 2 get compromised.  Which happened once after a trip to Miami, Miami is full of thieves and is a hotbed for credit card id theft.  Now I only use cash down there or gift visa cards, which all restaurants in Miami seem to have a problem with when you present, hoping you will whip out a real credit card, the look of disappointment when you whip out cash is apparent.  I love Miami and hate all the crooked people down there.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

John Gervais

Quote from: Merlin on April 21, 2016, 12:31:18 PM
White people problems.

If only you were over 40, then you would have cash on you.

Nonsense - I'm over 50 and don't think I've had more than $20.- in my wallet at any given time for the last many years.  The plastic is much more convenient.

But it was only yesterday, come to think of it, I actually used the $8.- that I've been hauling around for the past 6 or so months.  Hyacinth and I were gazing into the bakery department's pastry cooler and she mentioned that she had a hankering for some sort of cream-filled tartlet with a few strawberries balanced topside.  I did too; really, who doesn't?  So, yeah, when paying for cream-filled tartlets, I pay cash...
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

I only carry cash to tip van drivers. I only pay with debit cards cause it's straight out of my bank account and a guy can only spend as much as he has.  I also carry a blank check or two cause you never know. 

Jims5543

Amex Dan get an Amex if you do not have one. The moment the fraud happens Amex reverses all charges and makes the merchants fight for the money.

Visa and Debit cards do the opposite, they make YOU prove you did not make the charges and the process takes weeks if not months.

I do not even have a debit card, only Mrs5543 has one. I just run up my Amex or Capital One and pay them off every month.

Oh and LOL!! Same here, i always carry an emergency check in my wallet and thank you, I forgot I used one and need to replace it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I will say that BOA has done a great job of detecting theft the two times I had a breach.  They called, emailed, canceled and refunded charges all before I even knew what was going on.  This CC I tried using was capital one.

Merlin

I use discover. We get cashback points that we can cash in on gift cards and get an extra 5% when we do. I cash them out every year and spend them on a home project. They are just as good as Amex with refunding it immediately and they are easy to work with. They call me all the time on suspected fradulent charges. When I go on business trips, they flag it and call me immediately since I am out of the state.

I have a Visa from BOA that i keep for backup when discover isn't taken. This has been replaced recently with a capitol one card from United Airlines that I use to buy plane tickets so that I gets special treatment by  United.

It all goes on the card and it all gets paid at the end (middle) of the month.
Engineering the Impossible