Thoughts on this Mini for Sale

Started by Jims5543, July 30, 2014, 12:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

I am thinking about getting rid of my RX8 and getting a classic Mini. I am toying with a Vtec swapped car and found one in Miami with AC.

Anything I should ask or look for with these cars. I know they ruined the car so save me the rhetoric on that. That is why my Pickup will always have a 1275 no matter how much trouble it gives me.

This is for the wife to drive daily so I would like it to have more pep and hopefully be reliable. Honda in Mini? Sounds like a winner.

This is the car in question. Not sure about the price, prefer to be more in the 20K range (selling price of the RX8)
http://www.minimania.com/cars4sale/12115/1972_Austin_Cooper_S_MK_II_Sedan

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MtyMous

Personally, I do like v-Tec minis... in general. But have you driven one? I would say that I personally could deal with the torque-steering and stiffer ride, but my wife would hate it.

That issue aside, there is the reliability factor. Yes, Honda motors are generally pretty reliable. But the engine isn't running its stock tune in most instances and the driveline is modified to work on the mini. So yes, you will likely have more reliability than an A-series motor, but it won't be like driving a 2009 civic. Just keep that bit in mind.

My OPINION (and its just that) I think the extended nose minis are ugly. I don't like the proportions. But I'm sure people think my mini is ugly. :D

All-in-all, if it was me and I was buying it, I would definitely go for it. But if it was for my wife, I wouldn't. And I would never hear the end of it. Haha. For $26k, you can buy almost any car out there on the lot pre-owned. And the mini pictured seems... unfinished. ECU laying on the ground, no shifter boot or anything resembling one. Minor details that I personally think indicate the builder's attention to detail.

What to look for? The obvious oil drips, etc. Honda motors don't just leak like mini motors do. So a leak means you need to fix something. I would drive it (soft and hard). See if it behaves at slow speed, and see if the thing rips the wheel out of your hand on hard acceleration. Some subframe and suspension designs are VERY bad about this. Others are more tame. I don't know the specifics of which to look for.

You may also ask on some of the turbo mini and other vtec mini forums if they know of any other common problems.

Hope that didn't come across too pessimistic. Haha. Just being real about the v-Tec world.

Jims5543

Just talked on the phone with the seller, kudo's to him for being very upfront and honest. He has a 225 HP motor in it, and admitted if he did it again he would have put a much lower HP motor in.

The torque steer makes the car almost undrivable.  He said is put 185 to the wheels. On the highway he said it will pull like an ape, around town it is almost impossible to drive hard but, he said it is pretty well behaved if you drive nice.

The AC blows cold, the engine temps are happy and it is a good driver. I am not sure it would be a car I would put the wife in. Might go back to looking at Bini's.

He also said it gets 41 MPG driving as you want, and has a 9 gallon tank. The gas gauge is like mine, gives you a rough idea of when you will run out of gas.

Gonna mill this over, he is VERY motivated to sell, and is very flexible on price. The car was taken down to frame and rhino lined down low as well as primed with a marine primer before being painted. It appears to be a frame up resto with a lot of work done to it.

He admitted he has close to 2X the asking price invested and the reason he is selling is he was relocated to South America for work and the car is just sitting now with no plate on it.

I like it, I know my wife will like the color (that is all that matter with her) I am uneasy about the drive-ability of it especially in her hands. She is a good driver but it may intimidate her. Especially the torque steer.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I'm not a huge fan of the extended nose jobs myself and if I were to do one, it would be like the Mexico Blue job I did, which had a D series in it which kept the stock front end.  Like mentioned, the D series makes less power and is therefore more drivable for a daily.  Plus you're already up what...30 more hp right off the bat?  How much do you really need in one of these ya know?  However, and don't laugh...  If you get a good deal on this one, since all the electrical and tough stuff like pedals has been done.  You could always buy a D series and the appropriate subframe, send it to me, and I'd put on a new front end and subframe for the engine to drop back in.  Spring sound good?

sparetimetoys

If mine wasn't so early it would be VTEC  and AWD.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

MtyMous

I'm in the same camp as Dan. I want a v-Tec mini, but it would be a lightly modified D-series with the factory front end. I've been in a K swap mini and it was just nuts. Probably fun every other weekend, but I (keep in mind I've driven some bananas cars) don't think I would love it as a DD. And I know my wife wouldn't. Lol.

But if the price is right and it's your cup of tea, do it. I'm just giving my thoughts. I'd like to see it in person though.

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on July 30, 2014, 01:03:27 PM
Might go back to looking at Bini's.

If you pass on this, my 05 is still for sale.  I'd even hand deliver. 

Mudhen

Quote from: sparetimetoys on July 30, 2014, 02:31:09 PM
If mine wasn't so early it would be VTEC  and AWD.

I hope you're watching Project Binky!

I never knew about 'extended noses' until about 5 minutes ago...but have to agree, not for me, nor are anything that isn't 'A' series in a Mini.

Just this morning there was a new story about alcohol causing dementia....Jim to the white courtesy phone   :(

Are you mental?  Or have you just become such close friends with hot chick that drives the AAA flatbed you're looking for a good excuse to spend time with her?  (it's not a her, btw...not below the waist, anyway).  Run don't walk.  As MtyMous said, the attention to detail would worry me and there are better fish in the sea.

sparetimetoys

Project Binky is an amazing build.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

Jims5543

Well, I need to sell the 8 first.  Then decide what to do.

I really want to get her a Ghia Vert for our 25th this September, it is the car she always wanted when she was a teen and her father forbid it. He did not have a life insurance policy on her like I do.   ;D

I agree with all here the long hood looks stupid, and a D series swap would make much more sense.

According to the seller the guy that did all the work on that swap did an amazing job, the wiring harness has been soldered / shrink wrapped at all junction points and all wires have labels on them so you know what they are. It looks like a really clean and sorted swap.

But, the massive power and funky look is enough of a turn off to walk away.

Maybe this is something I can revisit again. I honestly would prefer a RHD too LHD is neat but a PITA at times too.