The UK finally gets Brexit done

Started by BruceK, January 30, 2020, 11:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Today, about 3 and half years since the majority of UK voters indicated they wanted to leave the European Union, and after much internal strife, the UK has finally split from the EU as of Jan. 31st.  There is a transition period during the rest of 2020 to work out all the details and try to establish new trade deals between the two, but today is the official separation day that the "Leave" voters have been waiting for since voting in 2016, and that the "Remain" voters hoped would never happen.   

From a Mini perspective will be interesting to see how that affects the $ to £ exchange rate and the supply of Mini parts.  I have a feeling we aren't really going to notice much of a change.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

My brother who lives in England thinks the pound will drop at first then slowly come back......I'm curious about parts availability, whether the loss of markets on the continent will happen, or if most of the market for classic Mini parts is in England and the US?

I sent him a note today asking if the "sky has fallen" over there, but haven't heard back.

Maybe it has?   :D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It's either "The sky is falling" or "Britain fleeing from overzealous EU governance and becoming a sovereign and independent nation again" depending upon a person's point of view.   I think it's the latter.  Self-determination is never a bad thing. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yeah, he says nothing will really change till the end of the year, that's when all the treaties have to be in place.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: BruceK on January 31, 2020, 11:30:52 AM
It's either "The sky is falling" or "Britain fleeing from overzealous EU governance and becoming a sovereign and independent nation again" depending upon a person's point of view.   I think it's the latter.  Self-determination is never a bad thing.

Agreed!!! I will leave it there.

This whole globalist thing is annoying, and that is putting it politely.

Ireland is in an all out war with their government about issues similar to this. Since visiting I follow a lot of the politics there and find it interesting.

Bright spot!! - At least the North of Ireland does not have to switch from the Euro$ back to the Sterling Pound as they never switched over and remained separate.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson