The fastest car in the World? No. It's the fastest car in the Universe!

Started by BruceK, February 06, 2018, 07:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

You may have heard that Elon Musk has placed a Tesla on top of his newest rocket and will be blasting the car into space.  Oh, and there is a rocketman in the driver's seat.  Yup. 

Here's a video of what is planned.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

MiniDave

Not just A Tesla, but his personal roadster form the first batch of cars they made. He has to put something in the nose of the rocket, might as well be that as some concrete or steel or cast iron. I'm sure they took everything heavy out of it like the battery and motor......I really like this guy, he's not just an inventor and showman, but he actually gets things done!

Not only is this an epic launch, but it will test a lot of unknowns in their system, al three boosters are supposed to return to landings, the two side ones at cape Canaveral and the main on a floating barge, the main stage is set for a 6 hour cruise which will take it thru the van allen radiation belts, they don't know if the fuel will freeze or the radiation will affect the electronics. If it all works, the car will be launched in a wide orbit around the sun that could take it close to Mars a couple of times....all exciting stuff! The Launch is scheduled for today at 1:30-4 pm Eastern time - weather permitting - which so far looks good.

Watch it live here - spacex.com
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Launch has been delayed due to weather, but it is now T - 11:00 as I write this.  I am watching live and I understand Buzz Aldrin is watching in person near the launch pad. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 06, 2018, 02:02:41 PM
Launch went exactly as planned! Exciting to watch!

Yeah!  That was pretty damn cool.   It definitely reminded of when I watched Gemini and Apollo launches live as a kid.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I loved the shots of the "guy" in the car!  Don't panic!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 06, 2018, 02:47:41 PM
I loved the shots of the "guy" in the car!  Don't panic!   ;D

Then you will love the live shots of Starman in the roadster from space:

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Put on some headphones and enjoy this binuaral immersion video of the launch and rocket landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoQqNyRL8Y

I just read where the Don't Panic on the dash corresponds with the copy of the Book "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" that is in the glovebox and a towel, another reference to the book.

I have no paid much attention to Musk over the years until this launch, which I was trying like hell to go see, but was too busy at work to get away.

Watching him hold a press conference after the launch, I have become an instant fan of the guy, he has a hell of a sense of humor.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

gr8kornholio

Yea they just did a test of the Tesla suv on the grand tour and it has a ludicrous speed mode. Straight out of space balls.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Rosebud

Quote from: Jims5543 on February 11, 2018, 06:23:21 PMWatching him hold a press conference after the launch, I have become an instant fan of the guy, he has a hell of a sense of humor.

Yeah, he's quite a guy. I heard an analyst on NPR today talking about Musk's plan to colonize Mars with 1 million people by 2025. When the host asked him why, he compared it to having all of your family photos on one hard drive; of course you'd want to back it up. He said all of mankind is currently on one planet. Best we back ourselves up on another planet just in case. Why 1 million? He said 1 million is the critical mass necessary that if and when Earth is no longer viable and no further ships would be arriving to supply the Mars colony, 1 million people would most likely be able to be self-sustaining.

The Mars colony is Musk's ultimate goal. The whole Space-X thing is just a way of paying the bills in the meantime. Makes sense. Cool.
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

BruceK

Um.  2025?   1 million people?   Are both of those numbers correct?  No typos? 

Because there won't be one person on Mars by 2025 let alone 999,999 others.  I understand the need to dream and to set stretch goals, but wouldn't it be a little easier to maybe get a dozen people in a colony on the moon first see how that works out?   Heck we barely keep the ISS going and that is just in Earth orbit.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Rosebud

Quote from: BruceK on February 16, 2018, 11:32:55 AM
Um.  2025?   1 million people?   Are both of those numbers correct?  No typos? 

Yeah, the timeline seems a bit ambitious, doesn't it? I bet they'll still be folks trickling in by 2026.
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports